FM4 Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel

Forza Motorsport 4 (Turn 10 Studios)
After some more testing and trying to get the csr wheel working under forza i decided to give up on it.
I'll keep on racing with a pad. It's a pitty but the wheel just doesn't work for me on any car in this game.
A fine example is the civic from CWS. We all know that screeching wheels is the way to go to get the car around the track as fast as possible.Well if i do that on catalunya national where we raced a while ago. The first corner is already mayhem.I start braking with my right foot and lifting of the gas as well. So notice that first of the revs drop way down and gets me to slow to the corner. Wich is odd as it doesn't happen in other games. But of course they are pc-sim racers.But that i can manage simply by moving my brake points way later than usually.Then i downshift to second gear and turn in with the revs just under the red line.Halfway through the corner tires start screeming and poof all resitance is gone from the wheel so I'm steering in vacuum and that in midd corner. This happens really in a on/off character. This happens in all hairpin corners and the only way for me to keep traction is to go way slower through the corner than i'm used to. This is when racing my own ghosts that i've set with a pad. So the moment the tires screech it's gone,no FFB,no tire friction comming off nothing just screech and poof all grip gone. What is more astounding is when you have your car on track stopped and bring telemetry on and turn the wheel.Just see what happens in game and on telemetry and what happens on your wheel. In game the angle shown is 180°.But your wheel has a stop at 270°.So to me that's the reason why i can't wrap my head around using the wheel in forza. So big kudo's to you guys using a wheel and racing with a wheel in forza I'm really amazed you can do it. I simply can't. So i'll keep the wheel for my pc games as there it just works flawlessly for me. The most astounding fact is that i configured it under F1 2011 and there my wheel does work like a charm. So it's definitly forza's steering coding and grip coding that makes it impossible for me.

Peter, using the Civic from CWS is not a good car for trying to dial in the feel of the wheel. The way the car is set up makes it feel very funny through a FFB wheel, like you said, on/off grip with very little feel in the middle. I had loads of problems getting to grips with this when I started out in CWS, after a LOT of practice I've finally gotten the hang of it and can get the car around the track in respectable times... but before each CWS race I need to have a good practice session to reacclimatise to the feel of the car as driving anything else in between throws me off. I cannot hop in to that Civic and drive it at any sort of decent pace without getting myself dialled back in to it again.

Hmmm,does explain why i'm struggling that much then if even a seasoned pro has troubles with it.
But my nightmare doesn't stop there sadly enough.When i get into lets say the stock 911 GT3,SLS GT3,mclaren GT3 i just can't get them to feel good as well.They go better around the track but i'm still 2-3 seconds of my own pace with that stock car compared to my pad laptimes. Haven't tried the slower cars.
So maybe they feel better to me but can't say that.Only thing that maybe could bring me up to speed with the wheel in forza is to start with the nimble cars until those feel fine. But that would mean months and months of practice after several weeks of fidling and in between i can't be competitive in online races with the wheel.
Of course something i can't neglect is that I've been racing since forza2 first came out up to know with a pad.
So maybe i'm so dialed in to a padfeel that I can't undo that experience and use a wheel for it.
Whereas the other games i haven't played them that intensive with a pad.
So I'm at a loss here and don't think i'll ever be using the wheel in forza. It's a shame as i know from other games that it's a very fine piece of hardware and i love it.

Hmmm,does explain why i'm struggling that much then if even a seasoned pro has troubles with it.
But my nightmare doesn't stop there sadly enough.When i get into lets say the stock 911 GT3,SLS GT3,mclaren GT3 i just can't get them to feel good as well.They go better around the track but i'm still 2-3 seconds of my own pace with that stock car compared to my pad laptimes. Haven't tried the slower cars.
So maybe they feel better to me but can't say that.Only thing that maybe could bring me up to speed with the wheel in forza is to start with the nimble cars until those feel fine. But that would mean months and months of practice after several weeks of fidling and in between i can't be competitive in online races with the wheel.
Of course something i can't neglect is that I've been racing since forza2 first came out up to know with a pad.
So maybe i'm so dialed in to a padfeel that I can't undo that experience and use a wheel for it.
Whereas the other games i haven't played them that intensive with a pad.
So I'm at a loss here and don't think i'll ever be using the wheel in forza. It's a shame as i know from other games that it's a very fine piece of hardware and i love it.

I did have a similar experience though Peter, when i switched from Pad to wheel on Forza, it's taken me about 3-4 months to get upto the pace I could do with the pad, although it's not as consistent yet! doesn't help my settings have gone funny, and im now locking the brakes so much, as it's costing me time almost every corner!

I hear you on the F1 2011, as the wheel does work well with that! Think Turn 10, did a really good job making the pad a good way to drive on this game, whereas on F1 2011, it is nigh on impossible for me to drive no assists with a pad, but I can do it with a wheel fairly easilly now.

Exactly my story Ryan had that same experiece in F1 2011.
Anyway I'll go for another test with a car (VW polo) i haven't raced with at all and do some test to see if i can match my ghost-padtime with my wheel or not.If that fails as well think I'll be sticking with the pad.

Exactly my story Ryan had that same experiece in F1 2011.
Anyway I'll go for another test with a car (VW polo) i haven't raced with at all and do some test to see if i can match my ghost-padtime with my wheel or not.If that fails as well think I'll be sticking with the pad.
I really don't think you're going to better your pad times in a day or a week (unless you're superhuman), it takes quite a bit of time and practice to go faster on a new controller type. It took me a few months to surpass my pad times but now I'm faster than I ever was before.

I really don't think you're going to better your pad times in a day or a week (unless you're superhuman), it takes quite a bit of time and practice to go faster on a new controller type. It took me a few months to surpass my pad times but now I'm faster than I ever was before.

Yeah, faster cars especially im getting better times (DTM,GT2) than I had done before.. just a case of practice, and I was happy to be a little slower knowing I would get better and it's a bit more immersive..

Well something definitly worked this evening for me.
Got a nice timetrial with the vw polo gti on my pad and had a decent time on catalunya national that i couldn't beat with my pad. So decided to switch to my wheel without any changes in config or setup.Just set the FFB in game from 90 to 100%.I even kept sim-steering on for my wheel and after 5 laps with the same car and on the same track i was matching my ghosttimes. A few laps later i was beating my own time and shaved 1.5seconds off. :confused: I was startled and speechless.Didn't experience any off the previous mentioned problems with this car.After that I decided to give the rivals event a shot with the merc on nurnburg GP and afer 10 laps i got my time improved there as well while using my wheel.Was racing my own time here as well.
Then i though hmmm could it be that it clicked? So took on the rivals event at silverstone as i knew i couldn't get to grips with the mclaren and yes i did improve my time there as well.Took me about 10-15 laps but got about a second shaved of my own rival times.
So glad that it finally falls into place for new cars and non-tuned cars.Now i just need to get the same test going with the cars i'm used to drive and see if that works as well now.t's such and odd experience but i'm so glad i can at least use the wheel for rival events and start getting used to it as well.:D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%