FM6 Forza Franchise Exceeds $1 Billion Total in Retail Sales

Forza Motorsport 6 (Turn 10 Studios)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Forza Motorsport 6.jpg

Turn 10 Studios have confirmed that popular racing franchise Forza has recently surpassed $1 billion in retail sales, making the game the most popular racing franchise of all time.

Turn 10 Studios Head Alan Hartman broke the news today to the official Xbox One website, rounding off a incredible period for the series following the successful release of Forza Horizon 3 on both Xbox One and PC for the very first time, and the recent commitment to bring future Forza games to the Windows platform alongside it's traditional Xbox console home.

"Today, we’re excited to share a major milestone – as of December 2016, the Forza franchise has exceeded $1 billion in retail sales.

This news caps an amazing year. As of December, more than 14 million unique players were involved in the Forza community on Xbox One and Windows 10, the award-winning Forza Horizon 3 sold through 2.5 million units, and Forza continued its run as the best-selling racing franchise of this console generation" Said Turn 10 Studios Head Alan Hartman.​

Many many fans have played one Forza game or another since the title made it's Xbox debut back in 2005, created as a direct rival to the then king of racing games Sony's Gran Turismo. Over the years the franchise has steadily expanded the number of cars and tracks found in game as well as marking itself out as one of the most visually impressive racing titles on the marketplace. With 2015/16 having seen releases for Forza Motorsport 6, Forza Horizon 3 and the PC debut of Forza 6 Apex, it is little wonder that the developers are currently riding on the crest of a wave with the series.

Recent years have seen a progressive decline in the quality of Gran Turismo releases, and with the Sony flagship racing game holding the position as the traditional main rival for Forza titles confidence must remain high at Turn 10. However despite the admittedly impressive sales figures achieved so for by the studio they will need to stay on top form throughout the next couple of years. With stiff competition in the shape of Project CARS 2 and the much anticipated GTR3 due to release before the end of 2018, plus the latest Gran Turismo Sport offering that should eventually break cover at some stage during the coming year, the current status quo could easily be disrupted heading into the next 24 months.

Forza Motorsport 6 is available for Xbox One now. Forza Horizon 3 can be purchased for both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.
Forza Motorsport 3.jpg
Forza Motorsport 4.jpg
Forza Motorsport 5.jpg

Check out the Forza Motorsport series of games forum here on RaceDepartment. A place to review the latest news, engage in discussions about Forza games with fellow racing fans and catch up with old Forza friends!

Do you have fond memories from past Forza releases? In your opinion which is the best game in the franchise? Are you surprised to see Turn 10 reach such impressive sales figures? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Sony/PD really lost the plot when they did not have a PS4 launch title ready to go. T10's revenues from having launch and followup titles ready to go every year for the Forza franchise over the last 3 years have made up for any lead that Sony and PD fought so hard to maintain with the GT franchise. I don't think the franchise will ever recover.

Over the years Forza has improved a lot and they deserve this milestone.

I love how everyone make it sound like our "dry weather track day simulators" on PC are sooooo much harder to drive because it's, you know, like driving a real car. Cute.

Forza/GT are not Mario Kart nor Burnout. You can't take turns at 200mph. There are still laws of physics involved punishing you for pushing too hard, braking too late etc etc. The lap times matches up pretty well to real life on most circuits.
It might be simplified in many areas but not as much as it's implied here.

Geez people.

Even if it's not a Sim, i would definitely buy Forza 7, if it would have good FFB and Fanatec pedals support. The brilliant AI (for this type of game) would make it a lot of fun to race offline, and the touch-physics who allow little banging lead to close and fun racing against them, without being too stupid. Nice change of pace when you are too exhausted after a long day, to race in a Sim...

But i am pretty sure it won't have proper FFB...which makes the game not even worth 5 bucks for me
Same for me, if it would support seperate wheel / pedals (I have a T300rs wheelbase / CSR Elite pedals setp) and had half-decent FFB, I'd definitely buy it, as a more casual alternative to a more hardcore sim.

It's a shame there isn't good wheel support on PC, I tried Apex(controller) & it was ok.
Does it support more than one input device yet? i.e. different wheel & pedal set.

Don't think so, which is why I gave up on it. Don't want to have to buy a Basherboards adapter just to play Forza (think you also lose pedal resolution doing this)

Forza 4 on xbox360 was the last good forza title. Sorry, that's how I feel. It had:
Drivable FFB and physics
Ability to gift cars, vinyls and entire skins to your friends
Decent track selection
Drivatards did not exist

Nope. Wheel is still crap on both the XB1 and Forza Apex on PC. Public lobbies were and still are a disaster. Forza 6 was a waste of money. So much so that I never even considered FH3 as a purchase. I will want to see a demo of Forza 7 before I buy. I don't hold much faith in it, but the recent article I saw with the new guy behind it gives me a LITTLE hope that things will be better in the next game.

Aside from the wheel support, Forza needs to SERIOUSLY revamp its audio department. Listening to the same 3 canned engine sounds in all of the cars got old quick. They weren't even good sounds.

Not sure what wheel you're using but the FFB sucks on FM5 for sure with a Fanatec CSW v2, but it was much improved on FM6 and FH3. The FFB isn't as good as Assetto Corsa or Raceroom Racing Experience on PC but its certainly not terrible either. FM5 was almost unplayable to me though with a wheel.

Not sure what wheel you're using but the FFB sucks on FM5 for sure with a Fanatec CSW v2, but it was much improved on FM6 and FH3. The FFB isn't as good as Assetto Corsa or Raceroom Racing Experience on PC but its certainly not terrible either. FM5 was almost unplayable to me though with a wheel.
I was replying to the question about the Thrustmaster TX. The game in undrivable. I have no problem on any other sim out there on console or PC, but Forza 6 is completely unplayable on the wheel.

I was replying to the question about the Thrustmaster TX. The game in undrivable. I have no problem on any other sim out there on console or PC, but Forza 6 is completely unplayable on the wheel.
Drivable, but not competitively and not without a major change in driving style, on some specific cars and if you put racing brake on all cars to get reasonable brake bias that won't shoot you into walls. haha

Ha - And proper wheel support!
Changing gearing assist setting btw "Manual" and "Manual w/Clutch" killing me every time I changed from a car with paddle shiftier to manual. And I'm not even talking about wheel degree setting which you have to go back to main menu then fin option at the last page of menu then go to advanced setting and find wheel degree settings. I wish we could change these setttings car based.

I really like the Forza franchise.
I play Forza 6 with a G920 with manual shift and it's very decent. The FFB could be better, but I do like the physic. It's precise and very enjoyable.
I'm having a lot of fun hotlaping in lot of different kind of car, especially non-racing car (like hot hatch), or in the paint shop. And the paint shop actually gives the photo mode a real interest.

I'm actually surprise that everybody complain about the physic or the FFB of the game while its true downside is the complete absence of anything racing related (Championship, flags, regulation, qualifying, you name it)... Even the campaign is completely bland and just ask you to finish third in 3 laps races (and don't start me on the retard idea too include the card based game system on the gameplay... :mad:).
My biggest complain about the game is the absence of a decent and adjustable cockpit view for people using a wheel. The cockpit view and FOV is aim at gamepad user and wheel user have no other choice than use the bonnet view. This is really ****ing stupid.

But I think most of critics come from people who don't actually own the game but are just based on belief and preconceptions they have about the franchise because it's console related. ;)

And for people who think they know the game because they played APEX, while the graphic and the physic don't change a lot, I can tell that the experience of Apex is a far cry from what the game as to offer in its complete version.

To sum-up, I think its a very enjoyable car simulator for hot laping and tunning, but a very (very) bad racing game.

Of course I will not exchange my Assetto Corsa + HTC Vive on PC for the Forza experience only on Xbox, but on the console market, just the fact that it is the only game amongs its competitor (GT, AC and Pcars) that truly never drop a frame from 60fps makes it a winner by default by my standard (I ****ing hate more than everything else frame drop in racing games).
But when you add the decent physic, 500+ cars, all the tracks beautifully rendered, the tuning, painting etc... you have a really good overall offer.

I play Forza 6 with a G920 with manual shift and it's very decent. The FFB could be better, but I do like the physic.
I can only talk about Forza 6 Apex on the PC with a T300, but there the FFB is utterly horrible, and doesn't feel remotely like driving a car. That's the sole reason i don't like the concept, and won't buy Forza 7 when it has the same FFB...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 71 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 43 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.6%