US Formula Vee @ Taruma Tuesday May 5th, 2015

JeffL

Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good.
Apr 23, 2014
Awesome fun.. See yall next week.

Tony Presutto

100RPM
Nov 10, 2013
Just a reminder for everyone on track re-entry. We are all here for fun and these are: no points, no pressure events. But we do need to take into consideration where the other drivers are on the track when re-entering.
Here is the rule from our Racing rules:

Events at RaceDepartment.com are governed by our Licensed Membership Agreement. The following rules are part of that agreement:

If you accidentally leave the track for whatever reason you must wait until there is a clear, safe gap before rejoining the track. Upon rejoining the track you must get up to speed as quickly as possible without blocking the racing line.

Thanks guys,
Lets have some more fun!!!:)

Quas

1000RPM
May 8, 2012
Would have loved to join you guys for that one, really miss the Vees.
The heavy emphasis on Marcas recently is not doing the club a favour, in my humble opinion. Yes, they produce very close races which is fun but SCE has so much more driving pleasure to give :).

Please keep'em coming and count me in for the next Vee night.

Stig Bidstrup

Jarek says " 900 degrees of rotation "
Premium
Sep 7, 2013
Would have loved to join you guys for that one, really miss the Vees.
The heavy emphasis on Marcas recently is not doing the club a favour, in my humble opinion. Yes, they produce very close races which is fun but SCE has so much more driving pleasure to give :).

Please keep'em coming and count me in for the next Vee night.
:)
win.png

Reactions: Dennis Phelan

Slalom823

RDTCC S10 Champion
Jan 1, 2015
I haven't driven the formula Vee in a while. I should more often, I think it could help my driving. These are good for teaching you!

Dennis Phelan

8000RPM
Premium
Apr 8, 2009
When I first saw this event listed and took a car out for a spin I knew it was just going to be spin and crash city over and over.

As I started driving within my limits[almost], I got a feel for the car and with laps could feel good about having made it past the last corner. Then the "ahha" moment that I had learned something and began to apply it. I was no longer as tense as the strings of a tennis racket and was able to drive even if mistakes in driving caused spins[none with damage]. I'm limited by reaction times that can be measured in seconds so mistakes are inevitable for me but when I manage to put a string of corners together this car drives very nicely and once or twice gives me quite a fast lap as a reward!

Hoping to drive it more so the learning and can continue :)

Reactions: Stig Bidstrup

Quas

1000RPM
May 8, 2012
Agree very much with the learning aspect mentioned. Slap me if i'm wrong but as far as i know, this and the skippy are cars that are purposely hard to drive irl to punish mistakes and force smooth inputs + weight management.
If you stay with the Vee until you overcome the initial learning curve it's just a pure joy and after that you can keep pretty much anything on track :thumbsup:.

I'm not dissing the Marcas they're great, just wish for more Opalas, Camaros and especially Vees.
Fingers crossed the upcoming '86 Opalas will prove to be popular in the clubs, i'm as excited about the release of those as other people seem to be about whole "next gen" sims :D.

Slalom823

RDTCC S10 Champion
Jan 1, 2015
Slap me if i'm wrong but as far as i know, this and the skippy are cars that are purposely hard to drive irl to punish mistakes and force smooth inputs + weight management.
The idea of what you're saying isn't wrong but with the Vee I don't believe it was made to be hard to drive but rather that it has the horrible vw beetle suspension and it just happens to be hard. I do believe the skippy was meant to be that way though. Gotta love these types of cars!

Quas

1000RPM
May 8, 2012
The idea of what you're saying isn't wrong but with the Vee I don't believe it was made to be hard to drive but rather that it has the horrible vw beetle suspension and it just happens to be hard. I do believe the skippy was meant to be that way though. Gotta love these types of cars!
Sounds plausible, one could argue that they'd slam some slicks and spoilers on it if it wasn't meant to be hard to drive, but then again it's an entry level series and that would push the costs up.
I'm happy it has that crappy suspension and thin tires, if the end result is buckets of fun :).

JeffL

Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good.
Apr 23, 2014
If I'm not mistaken the 80's opala has the updated aero and slicks. Might not be as much fun.:D

Slalom823

RDTCC S10 Champion
Jan 1, 2015
I'm limited by reaction times that can be measured in seconds
Of course this is just going to add more challenge for you, but it reminded me of what I read yesterday in one of Carroll Smith's books regarding reflexes.

"The racing driver's reflexes seem abnormal because, like all athletes, they have been trained and conditioned. The truth of the reflex bit is that the successful racing driver does not react to what the car does- he anticipates what the car is going to do and makes the car do what he wants it to do. The driver's speed comes from anticipation. Reflexes are what saves his life when the anticipation (or the car) fails." -Carroll Smith

I just thought I would share as I just read it and it relates. So in your case if you have a slower reaction than some of us it may be even more important to have good anticipation.

I hope someone else finds this interesting, and so far even though I'm in the beginning I think I could recommend his books to others.