Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM CLUB
Track: Curitiba
Practice: 19:00 GMT (30 minutes)
Qualification: 19:30 GMT (10 minutes)
Warm-up: No Warm up
Race: 19:40 (2x25 minutes)
Password: click here

Signup List
To signup simply press the button below and chat away in the thread below :)
[signuplist]262[/signuplist]

that was quite a challenge, the longest race i ever finished :D
qualified 10th i think, went on to 8th at the start and then after 2 laps i got a wheel on the grass and faced the wall at turn 3, had to let the whole field through and reverse :D
3 laps later front wing damage, 1 lap down already, but all i wanted to do was finish so i went on.from there on it was just lapping people/getting lapped to the end of the race, but no contact the whole race, just my own spins.towards the end it looked like @Andrew James was catching up on me, but then he ran into trouble i think, so i finished 8th. very fun and challenging, would like to see more races like this, maybe even with the classics or v12s
my wheel is driving me crazy, constantly losing center calibration, preferably under braking and random double downshifts that send me into a spin :(

Last edited:
Hello Fellas
Well, as I said in a previous post, this was a steep learning curve for me. One of my mistakes has been highlighted again, so whilst I would have prefered to avoid doing this, I guess it will be for the benefit of all to ackowledge what happened and provide some explanation.
I did put a substantial amount of practice prior to this event. For one I had never used RD for race purposes and two I knew I had precious little experience compared to others in this. My practice routine consisted of multiple laps of Interlagos on a Training Day. my priorities were a balanced set up to provide a stable and consistent car for 71 laps. I went for a medium to high downforce set-up, which for this track i didnt think would do me many favours in regards to speed but would allow me more control when other cars were in close proximity. That said, my main priority was to finish the race no matter where in the field that left me. So, after finding a stable set-up that allowed good grip and minimal tyre wear I was in high 1:12's. On the previous Friday evening I had managed 1:13's on the RD server, which I was happy to go with.
Unfortunately I didnt find the time until Saturday morning to try long runs with high fuel on Hard Tyres. When I did, I hit a brick wall with regards to pace. I was finding it extremely difficult to lean on my tyres at any point during some of the fast corners around track. Also i noticed a massive difference in traction when exiting slower corners. I was losing up to 7-8 secs on a lap and struggling big time. I felt it was too late to start from scratch with set-up so tried various tweeks to improve my lap times. Tyre pressues, harder suspension/softer suspension, lower aero/higher aero. Nothing seemed to work. So I went with the set-up you will see in the Video below.
At start of race I was caught out big time, through lack of experience, when the race started without me. Andrew has explained that the race could not be started manually and I had assumed it was. So starting from pitlane when Guys were coming through for Lap 2 was not anywhere near my ideal scenario. I purposely missed qualy to start from the back and see where I could finish up. I would like to think that I coped fairly well with the constant Blue Flags for the first 3 laps and I don't think I hindered anyone's progress or caused accidents. Please let me know if thats not the case and more apologies will come forth. It took a long time to find any sort of rythmn and get hard tryes where I needed them, which is why my HUD was constantly set to Car Status. Everytime My tyres exceeded 90c in corners I was in trouble with wheelspin/traction. The rest of the race was consigned to the rubbish bin, as it mainly involved staying out of other Drivers way and I had absolutely no opportunity to battle for a place. Gutted I was, but determined to finish the race. I suffered only one penalty due to speeding in the pitlane, all other pitstops went well and I managed to use the LCD to acheive that.
The Incident
As soon as the race was finished I apologised to Andrew, although I confess I didnt know who I had hit at the time, I had no Labels activated and due to constant use of the Car Status LCD had been paying little attention to the Positioning side of things. I have included the incident on video, which again I would have prefered not to do, but pick the bones out of it at your will Fellas. Agressive is not a word I would use to describe my actions, but if the majority say it is then I cannot argue. Yes, I had DRS activated, but I had applied brakes by the 100 mtr board which IMO is very early into that corner. I had NO intention of trying to overtake Andrew, more to get a feel of how car behaviour is affected by both DRS and close quarter racing. I pushed myself over to the right with the thought in mind to avoid anything dangerous and give myself a run off if need be, but unfortunately I did not anticipate Andrews braking too well and just clipped his rear wheel. After I went through the replay I realised that Andrew was just behind 8th Position which is why he has every right to be annoyed. Just to say though, I wasnt trying to be aggressive in any way and certainly had no intention of ruining someones race. In the video I have left in a lap of my own with my normal braking point for that corner, feel free to pick my driving to bits Guys as thats the best way I can learn.
Bottom line, I was glad I saw it through to the end and more importantly learned something from the experience. Sorry again Andrew.
Anyway Guys, so endeth War and Peace: The Diary of a Newb.

Hello Fellas
Well, as I said in a previous post, this was a steep learning curve for me. One of my mistakes has been highlighted again, so whilst I would have prefered to avoid doing this, I guess it will be for the benefit of all to ackowledge what happened and provide some explanation.
I did put a substantial amount of practice prior to this event. For one I had never used RD for race purposes and two I knew I had precious little experience compared to others in this. My practice routine consisted of multiple laps of Interlagos on a Training Day. my priorities were a balanced set up to provide a stable and consistent car for 71 laps. I went for a medium to high downforce set-up, which for this track i didnt think would do me many favours in regards to speed but would allow me more control when other cars were in close proximity. That said, my main priority was to finish the race no matter where in the field that left me. So, after finding a stable set-up that allowed good grip and minimal tyre wear I was in high 1:12's. On the previous Friday evening I had managed 1:13's on the RD server, which I was happy to go with.
Unfortunately I didnt find the time until Saturday morning to try long runs with high fuel on Hard Tyres. When I did, I hit a brick wall with regards to pace. I was finding it extremely difficult to lean on my tyres at any point during some of the fast corners around track. Also i noticed a massive difference in traction when exiting slower corners. I was losing up to 7-8 secs on a lap and struggling big time. I felt it was too late to start from scratch with set-up so tried various tweeks to improve my lap times. Tyre pressues, harder suspension/softer suspension, lower aero/higher aero. Nothing seemed to work. So I went with the set-up you will see in the Video below.
At start of race I was caught out big time, through lack of experience, when the race started without me. Andrew has explained that the race could not be started manually and I had assumed it was. So starting from pitlane when Guys were coming through for Lap 2 was not anywhere near my ideal scenario. I purposely missed qualy to start from the back and see where I could finish up. I would like to think that I coped fairly well with the constant Blue Flags for the first 3 laps and I don't think I hindered anyone's progress or caused accidents. Please let me know if thats not the case and more apologies will come forth. It took a long time to find any sort of rythmn and get hard tryes where I needed them, which is why my HUD was constantly set to Car Status. Everytime My tyres exceeded 90c in corners I was in trouble with wheelspin/traction. The rest of the race was consigned to the rubbish bin, as it mainly involved staying out of other Drivers way and I had absolutely no opportunity to battle for a place. Gutted I was, but determined to finish the race. I suffered only one penalty due to speeding in the pitlane, all other pitstops went well and I managed to use the LCD to acheive that.
The Incident
As soon as the race was finished I apologised to Andrew, although I confess I didnt know who I had hit at the time, I had no Labels activated and due to constant use of the Car Status LCD had been paying little attention to the Positioning side of things. I have included the incident on video, which again I would have prefered not to do, but pick the bones out of it at your will Fellas. Agressive is not a word I would use to describe my actions, but if the majority say it is then I cannot argue. Yes, I had DRS activated, but I had applied brakes by the 100 mtr board which IMO is very early into that corner. I had NO intention of trying to overtake Andrew, more to get a feel of how car behaviour is affected by both DRS and close quarter racing. I pushed myself over to the right with the thought in mind to avoid anything dangerous and give myself a run off if need be, but unfortunately I did not anticipate Andrews braking too well and just clipped his rear wheel. After I went through the replay I realised that Andrew was just behind 8th Position which is why he has every right to be annoyed. Just to say though, I wasnt trying to be aggressive in any way and certainly had no intention of ruining someones race. In the video I have left in a lap of my own with my normal braking point for that corner, feel free to pick my driving to bits Guys as thats the best way I can learn.
Bottom line, I was glad I saw it through to the end and more importantly learned something from the experience. Sorry again Andrew.
Anyway Guys, so endeth War and Peace: The Diary of a Newb.

Thanks for the explanation Steve; as far as I am concerned this was all sorted yesterday between us on TS. No hard feelings here whatsoever, I know you didn't do it on purpose and yes, I was annoyed when it happened, naturally, but just a minute or two later I was fine (as heard by all those on TS). No need to apologise to me again. It's all about the fun, don't take the comments too personally - we all make mistakes (I also rear ended someone in the race by mistake, it happens) and just try to have fun and improve as we go along. :thumbsup: Hope to see you on track again in the week.

A thought:

I know of Racedepartment's attitude towards club races. But I think it would be beneficial to differentiate between "Special events" and normal club races. "Special events" being long races such as this, or tough tracks/cars. The rules for club races are fine. But maybe we should use the 107% system that Andrew mentioned, for Special Events. Hard to say how to enforce it though...
Maybe instead of the 107% system, each driver will be required to provide a session log, showing he did at least one practice session of 30 minutes. It won't even require file sharing - we could just paste the text onto the proper thread.

@Steve Sperry
You probably have already concluded this yourself, but you did ask us to pick at your driving, so here is my main and only point:
If you are chasing someone into the braking zone, and you are not at least somewhat alongside him before breaking, you should either a) Keep a safe distance (consider these factors: DRS, draft, human reaction time, possibility of other driver braking early, etc), or b) go on the inside line (or whichever line the car in front isn't on). The point of (b) being, you might be able to outbreak the guy in front into the corner. A move often called "dive bombing", but if done right, and without aggression, is a perfectly good move (That is, if you can outbreak the guy into the corner, and maintain the line you are on throughout the corner, without pushing the other guy off the track because you came in too fast (or "dive-bombed")). In this case, you were way too close for comfort in the braking zone, even if Andrew did break a touch early. Another thing: When chasing someone into a corner, it's better to just let off the gas before you brake. You don't lose any time doing that, and it is the safest way to follow a driver into a corner without running into the back of him. I believe in the movie "Grand Prix", there was a scene where the driver explained this tactic.
Bear in mind, this was your first race (If I understood correctly). While I was way to scared on my first race to be so close to other drivers in the braking zone, it is perfectly acceptable that you did, considering. The important thing is to better yourself and learn from mistakes, as you've mentioned!
Hope to see you again in the races!

Last edited:
@Tal Segal

Exactly what I was looking for, Thank you. Reckon your reference to "human reaction time" sums up the one factor I failed to consider on the approach to that corner. I had tried to push a wider line in to it, so as not to give the impression that I was going to "dive bomb" and also give me an amount of track to run off into. What let me down was, as you rightly say, the time I gave myself to react to Andrews actions. Strangely enough when I looked through the entire replay of the race I had actually pulled off a pass (successfully) into that corner earlier on with DRS, on that occasion I HAD used the inside line. I am now glad I highlighted this due to your positive reaction and comments. Please feel free (and anyone else for that matter) to make comments on any other aspect of my race.
Being honest, 10 laps down at the end was embarrassing and slightly demoralising, however if Guys like yourself are prepared to spend the time to advise and encourage then I hope to improve vastly on that for future races.

@Steve Sperry
Anytime !
I know it might have seemed daunting for a first race, but after the first three online races, you really begin to have fun, relax, and understand what it's all about. I would say starting off with a full length race is quite the beginning. Also, being on Teamspeak helps relieve the tension.
You'll see. after the anxiety/newbishness of the first few races wear off, that's when you start having real fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 286 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%