Formula Two: 2013 Season Cancelled

The FIA & MotorSport Vision announced today that the Formula Two series will not be run for the fifth and final year of the 5 year agreement with the FIA.

MSV Chief Executive Jonathan Palmer on the matter:http://www.racedepartment.com/wp-content/uploads/115.jpg
Despite launching the FIA Formula 2 Championship in 2009 at the start of this major global recession it has performed well with good grids and very competitive racing over the past four years. As the FIA intended, F2 has always provided outstanding value and equality for its competitors. However, it has become progressively clear that the single operating team concept that enables these benefits has compromises that have, overall, reduced its appeal to drivers. We and the FIA are in agreement that any future F2 should operate on a more conventional, multi team basis.

Other championships at F2's level have also increased their appeal through recent performance upgrades, and it is logical to conclude that in F2's final year grid numbers would reduce, perhaps significantly. I believe we have a responsibility to competitors planning their 2013 seasons and careers not to operate F2 if we are not confident of another strong season, and have therefore discussed this matter with the FIA who understand and accept our recommendation not to continue.

MSV has a long history of major investment in junior single seater series and commitment to providing affordable racing for aspiring F1 drivers. Whilst we are disappointed that the current format of the FIA Formula 2 Championship has not been a total success we are proud of its many achievements and remain absolutely committed to innovation and investment in the business of motorsport, in particular series for young drivers. We have learnt a great deal over the past four years and our experiences have made MSV stronger and more capable, as we continue our discussions with the FIA regarding the long term future of the FIA Formula 2 Championship.​

The FIA did not provide a thorough statement but merely a short comment:
The Federation has been pleased to support F2 throughout these four competitive years. This is a racing series which has introduced many young drivers to motor racing and prepared them for higher challenges. The FIA is determined to develop a clear path for young drivers from karting to F1 and therefore reiterates our commitment to single seater racing series.​

Additionally Image Space Incorporated, makers of rFactor 2, have informed the community that this will not lead to removal of the F2 series from their upcoming game.
We wish those involved the best for the future. The car will remain with and a part of rFactor2.​

Find more information and debates about the lower tiers of motorsport in the general motorsports forum.

[source: FormulaTwo.com]
View the Post on the Blog

To be honest, this isn't too much of a surprise. A motorracing series with hardly any media presence cannot survive. And this has been proven many times, long before the F2 was (re-)launched.

The FIA single-seater commission will need to figure out a way to make junior series more popular, or we'll run out of drivers for F1 soon.

The F2 did a great job in not having any kind of publicity at all so I am not surprised by this news.

It would be nice if the FIA changes the names of the series so that GP2 and GP3 can be ranked as F2 and F3 so the way to Formula One makes sense. (Or re-name F1 to GP1 of course).

Dunno what is wrong with GP2 tbh, good racing, cars which move around and need to be driven, just need more TV coverage, as usual.

FWIW I thought the F2 cars were more boring than watching paint dry when I saw them at Brands Hatch sadly......I wont miss them at least.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back