Formula Retro shifter

Which shifter Formula Retro/FD04 cars used in real life, h-shifter or sequential?

I always drive cars as they was/should in real life so I'd like to know how it is with Retros. Tried to find the info from the net but no joy.

Thanks in advance.

I kinda hope it's sequential as h shifter makes me so slow, especially with fast and powerful cars. But being a realism nut I don't have any choice.

Love to use h shifter tho as it's completely different feel to drive with clutch and heel toe technique etc.

I don't feel the H-shifter with the G27, just doesn't feel realistic enough for me to want to use it. I used it once in a Retro Cool race on Race 07 and it was fun but because these isn't a strong centering spring, it was pretty awkward.

Thanks @Jos_theboss! Got me answer.

Yeah I understand you fully Justin. As long as I used G25 I didn't drive h shifter cars much, pedals wasn't very good for heel toeing either. But after getting T500 and TH8RS shifter I got interested and quite enjoy it. If only I wouldn't be so damn slow with it.

I use the H-shifter in GTLegends and any retro cars i drive in different sims, im no good with heel toe and just blip the throttle and left foot brake which works ok with the sims, the newer sims are proving much more of a challenge though, R3E needs proper gear changes or you break the gearbox in 2 laps. Ac also requires a proper technique.. Man its hard work ..
to me its all about trying to recreate the feel, if it has paddles in the car i use the paddles..
but to do this in a old retro car just doesnt feel right to me..
But as long as your having fun .....:)

i wish my G25 had a better H shifter though, maybe one day i can buy something a bit more substantial :whistling:

I'm with you Rupe. Imo it's kinda cheating, maybe too strong word for it, to use paddles with h shifter/sequential cars. But like you said as long as your having fun.

But I quite enjoy the challenge of learning proper heel toe. Sometimes it works sometimes I fail miserably and end up to the wall. But all that work makes driving quite exciting.

But I quite enjoy the challenge of learning proper heel toe. Sometimes it works sometimes I fail miserably and end up to the wall. But all that work makes driving quite exciting.
I agree with you, I have a G25 and I am happy of it because I can use paddle, sequential or H, so I can simulate well all cars.
On FT I use the grinding tranny, but in GSC we should have the possibility of activate it with a key, but it seems impossibile, or am I wrong?

9727718399_cf0ef8532a_b1.jpg

I now use a T500 shifter, but before I bought it I was using the G25 shifter. In fact, if I feel lazy I still use it as a sequential. What I did was to add a bunch of rubber bands and calibrate them so they were strong enough to bring the stick to center but not so strong that they would unengage the gear.

Even when I use it as a sequential I use the rubber bands and it wporks much better. Nice and springy and a bit stiffer too.

As far as H&T, it takes practice. Now I have a hard time driving a H gate and not H&T. I have to work on my technique and regain the good old simple shifts, since you don;t always need to H&T, but by now I have a reflex.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back