Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Formula X-17 4.jpg

The Formula RaceRoom X-17 has today released for RaceRoom Racing Experience, adding the fastest open wheel car to the simulation to complete the open wheel career ladder in game.

Get ready to crank up the volume as the highly anticipated top tier open wheel racing car, the Formula RaceRoom X-17, has finally been released for RaceRoom Racing Experience.

Based loosely on the modern 2017 concept of a Grand Prix machine, but doing away with the highly uninspiring hybrid V6 Turbo engine and replacing it with a screaming high revving normally aspirated 3.0 Litre V10, the FRX-17 is the most downforce efficient, high performance and best handling open wheel racing car released for the simulation to date.

Just in case you wondered what this new machine looks like in the flesh, check out the release trailer produced by Sector3 to accompany the most recent addition to the title:

If that doesn't get your juices flowing quite enough to get excited about this car, then have a listen to the magic conjured up by Sector3 sound engineer (and quite possibly the best in the business) @anthony monteil:

Impressive? Well I thought so too...

Now with the totally not modern Formula One car having made it into the public build of the sim, Sector3 have completed their intended open wheel formula career ladder (including IndyCar, GP2, Formula 3 and various junior formulae) as the simulation looks to diversify from its traditional routes placed firmly in the world of closed top GT and Touring Car machines.

So what's under the hood of the FRX-17? Let us take a quick look at the headline details:
  • 3.0 liter V10
  • 950hp @ 19000 rpm
  • 370Nm @ 17000 rpm
  • 7 speed paddle shift
  • 620 kg including driver
  • 44/56% Weight distribution, including driver, excluding fuel
  • 150 liter fuel tank
  • Maximum theoretical downforce is aprox 2800 kg @ 322 km/h.
  • Traction Control available
  • DRS System
The car is available to purchase for RaceRoom Racing Experience from today and retails for £3.50 GBP. Additionally you can purchase all the extra liveries for the car for £6.84.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available as a free to play simulation exclusive to PC. Additional content such as the Formula RaceRoom X-17 can be purchased at an additional cost.

RaceRoom Formula X-17 2.jpg
RaceRoom Formula X-17 3.jpg
RaceRoom Formula X-17.jpg

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussion regarding the simulation. We have a few select mods to download, a ton of setups created by our community and our pièce de résistance the RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club. Head over to our club and join in a selection of races for all different skills and experiences. Top TeamSpeak banter and great racing, exclusive to premium members of RD.

Have you tried the FR X-17 yet? What are your impressions of the car? Do you like open wheel cars in RaceRoom Racing Experience? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Ive played all the sims out there, AMS, SCE, RF, RF2, AC, PC, and to be perfectly honest RRE is one of the best, looks good and sounds great.

Just to think they are using a DX9 engine i think... wow, imagine what they could do with DX12 or even DX11 engine... oh my god...

I def will be purchasing this pack... a few questions

1) Is each car alittle different by i mean in handeling, sound and looks
2) And is Sector3 formaly known as Simbin (GTR, GTR2 etc...)
3) I heard Sector3 is making a new sim which is going to be better then RRE...

Can somone enlighten me.

1) Is each car alittle different by i mean in handeling, sound and looks

1. No. This is just a single car that has multiple liveries.
  2. Kinda-sorta. Simbin went through a rebrand to Sector 3 Studios. It isn't the same SimBin that made GTR. A lot of those guys are now Slightly Mad Studios.
  3. GTR 3. We don't know if it actually will be better though. I don't doubt their ability, but you never know.

Are they porting it to DX11??
Eventually, yes. Or at least probably.
But that won't happen until after SimBin releases GTR3. so '18 at the very earliest.

2) Yes and no. The original Simbin got downsized pretty drastically and became Sector3.
To confuse matters further, there is now a new SimBin based in England working on GTR3.

3) Sector3 isn't working on GTR3, SimBin is. But since both companies are owned (AFAIK) by the same corporation, there is some cooperation between the two.
How much of each sim will bleed through to the other is anyones guess at this point.
We'll know in a year or so.

Oh boy, a fully fledge GTR3 will be awesome... can you imagine the upgrade in everythng... i give big props to S3 and Simbin, to be perfectly honest they are one of the pioneers in this genre, you could say the daddy or the best...

Cant wait to get home and purchase the extra cars for RRE, i dont like the pay model but i can understand it, as everything they release is top quality, ive purchased everythng for RRE and i think its well worth it...

When i tried Project Cars, i couldnt get to grips with it, sound and graphics were nice but not enough cars for my liking... i dont know something just didnt feel right with Project Cars, lets hope no2 will be good, as it would be another sim to have fun on...

thanks all

ok guys..
This is probably the most realistic sound of a formula 1 car ever made in a video game...

I mean WOWWWW!!

When this game will be in dx11 it will be insane!

I know right how have they pushed DX9 so far its amazing.
Was looking at an E3 video of pCARS 2 at Portimao and I just thought meh it already looks way better in R3E!!
I hope we don't lose this realistic look when/if ported to unreal engine. They can leave OTT post processing to the other games.

Very good details. Thanks

Eventually, yes. Or at least probably.
But that won't happen until after SimBin releases GTR3. so '18 at the very earliest.

2) Yes and no. The original Simbin got downsized pretty drastically and became Sector3.
To confuse matters further, there is now a new SimBin based in England working on GTR3.

3) Sector3 isn't working on GTR3, SimBin is. But since both companies are owned (AFAIK) by the same corporation, there is some cooperation between the two.
How much of each sim will bleed through to the other is anyones guess at this point.
We'll know in a year or so.
Very good

These look awesome and, given Sector3's track record, I can only imagine how glorious the engine note will be. I do wish we could get tire pressures/temps though... :/

As an R3E and an AMS fan, I'm a teensy bit nervous about the look of the liveries...kinda seems like playing with fire, no?

As an R3E and an AMS fan, I'm a teensy bit nervous about the look of the liveries...kinda seems like playing with fire, no?

Haha, I know what you mean...they're very similar to cars I've seen somewhere before. Still, there are no official logos or brands, the cars don't look identical to the "real" ones, and they don't even use the same engine. I think that's probably enough for them to be on relatively safe ground.

I expected this one to be good, but damn it's just incredible. I was doing laps with my jaw dropped, and got the immersion I didn't feel quite a long time.

Then when I swapped to GT3 I thought it's moving like in tar and crashed the first turn ;D

Only thing that felt odd was the display not mounted on the wheel, but then I saw Williams cockpit and thought, ok I've seen that somewhere :D

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images7MOWT3GC.jpg

I have always felt that R3E has the best immersion especially in open wheel cars of which Im a major fan of over any other sim. Add the sound and its just getting better and better. And tougher and tougher to go back to the other leading sims.

I just ran a handful of laps at Suzuka and near wet my pants! After 2 laps I let it rip and I scared the hell out of myself heading into the hairpin and thru 130 R wow Gonna go get a seat belt for the next run....:thumbsup:

Saw Georg Ortner running Nordschleife in this car, so I finally bought it and took it for a spin there...holy crap! I don't think I've felt so much speed in a sim ever. That car is absolutely mental. And I'm still 20 seconds behind the pace he had in the stream...

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing