Formula RaceRoom 90 Coming to R3E Next Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sector3 Studios have confirmed their latest open wheel car is coming to the sim - rejoice historic racing fans!

Although the FR90 is a 'fantasy' design, it doesn't take much imagination to make the connection between the FR90 and very early 1990's era Formula One machinery - much to the joy of fans of historic Grand Prix racing.

Coming in three distinct flavours - V8, V10 and V12, the FR90 delivers some incredible audio thanks to the efforts for @anthony monteil and Sector3, as well as producing a very raw and entertaining driving experience behind the wheel.. as anyone who watched Grand Prix racing in the early 1990's would undoubtedly expect from this sort of machine.

RaceRoom Formula RR90.jpg

Although no exact release date has been given for when this new DLC will drop, Sector3 have confirmed it will be made available alongside the upcoming update - expected to drop for the sim as early as next week.

Stay tuned to the RaceDepartment YouTube and Twitch channel in the coming days for a new 'Talk n Drive' with these awesome cars..

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively for PC.

Head over to the RaceRoom sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest and greatest from the Sector3 Studios developed racing simulation.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Insta buy, simple as that.

I do wish they would add the ability for custom skins,even if it was only for the player.

Helas, that does not fit into their business model.
At least they now allow the AI to use all cars and skins as there was a time when they didn’t.

I like R3E, but I don’t have much love for the company or their attitude towards customers. The way they changed the Experience content was disturbing, removing most of the season content and leaving only a car and track pack. Sure you can now mix content you own, but removing game content like they did with DTM was pretty bad IMO. Don’t tell me about the company name changes.

• Deleted member 503495

The V8 doesn't sound good. The V10 and V12 do, the V12 is the same as the F-V12 source for sure.

What kind of liveries are we looking at? Are we going to have two drivers per team with about 11-13 teams per car?

Hmm... I have to admit that I'm completely mystified as to why people are desperate for official liveries. I mean, the cars aren't even official yet everybody's clamouring for them. The paint on them won't be either, yet people keep asking for it. I don't see that liveries add anything in particular to the experience, especially on what are essentially "fantasy" cars to begin with! Can somebody help me out here?

The rubber stamp of authenticity is indoctrinated into society, all about the brand man! :rolleyes: I don't get it either and probably for entirely different reasons, mine is I can't remember what they bloody looked like 30 years ago for one and my brain sees a red car and it makes a guess at the manufacturer and is right 99% of the time, white/blue Panasonic :rolleyes: all pretty straight forward for an old brain, it's embedded. Guessing it's a geek thing, that or lack of imagination!

Well, I understand, modern F1 liveries are blocked, but whats about historical official licensed liveries? Is there price too high? This cars (Raceroom openwheelers generally) are too good for fake skins :)
Historical F1 liveries are blocked exactly the same way as modern liveries. They're all protected by the F1 global license.
You can then try to deal with individual brands for one model and one livery, but you'll be back to the initial situation when it comes to AI liveries : they'll need to be fictional anyway.

The V8 doesn't sound good. The V10 and V12 do, the V12 is the same as the F-V12 source for sure.

What kind of liveries are we looking at? Are we going to have two drivers per team with about 11-13 teams per car?

Well, the V8 sound is a straight forward replica of a Ford Cosworth DFR engine, which was the most common engine in F1 in the 1989-92 period, along with the Ford Cosworth HB and Judd EV/CV.
Just for memory, both DFR and HB sounds are very similar so we recorded the cockpit sound in the Jaguar XJR14 (Cosworth HB) and the external samples are a combination of Cosworth DFR engines recordings.

So, basically, it sounds exactly like the real ones but I agree that the Cosworth is not as spectacular as the V10 and V12, especially if you never heard them in real life.
Personally, I'm totally fan of these V8 Cosworth sounds, I find them amazingly "organic" and they're so loud :D

Also, although the FR90 is fictional, the 90's era engines symphony wouldn't be complete if the engine that powered 70% of the cars in these years wasn't featured in the game ;)

And finally, as far as I know, the Automobilista F-V12 sound source is the Ferrari 412 T1 or Ferrari 412 T2, which was used by the Ferrari team during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.
The sound is very different from the FR90 V12 engine, especially from external, as we used the Ferrari 643 V12 sound as a source (1991 season). Here's the car irl :

Last edited:
Conserning the existing (im)possibility for custom paints in Raceroom and the offered fantasy or realistic ones then I can understand the (financial) decicion conserning the fantasy/realistic part.
But Im sure a lot of creative and skilled users would get a lot more fun out of this racing game if they were allowed to paint their own car.:thumbsup:
Hehe the paint solely staying on their own HD.:D

Because with such a solution it didnt collide with the fantasy/realistic paints presented on multiplayer streams - and then people could fully enjoy their own creations while driving off- or online.
To make a ‎comparison then this is exactly what happens if you as example in iRacing use a custom paint but dont upload it to the 3rd party skin database Trading Paints.
You can see it but no other can ;)

NOTE: There is no reason people not interested and/or with no painting skills use a lot of energy proving they are so against any possibility for painting creativity in Raceroom.:sneaky:

Poor sounds. They all sound very thin and digital. I'll expand:

• The cars should have a thicker, fuller, meatier sound so that they sound like they are roaring and ear-bleeding but these sound so thin and gentle.
  • The sounds are too airy and buttery-smooth.
  • These cars have tons of bass in real life. I read from a guy who saw these race in full anger at 1990s F1 races that people would be very surprised with the power of bass and amount of different bass tones these cars have. They said the Ferrari V12 surprised with how much crazy bass sounds it had in real life.
  • The sound when the car passes the camera is absolutely terrible. After the car passes the camera the cars sound even more weak and simple. The car sounds so gentle and soft when it flys by the camera and the pitch-change as well as tone-change of the fly-by sound verrryyyy computerized.
  • It doesn't sound like there are a lot of different sounds simultaneously. It sounds like there is just maybe one sound playing. There needs to be many, many more layers/depth/complexity to the sounds. There should be many different tones and pitches to the engine sounds. It just sounds way too simplistic and computerized. Something is very wrong with the sounds during the doppler effect pitch and tone change.
  • Even off-throttle, the cars sound too weak. Eg. The V12 should have a very different tone and pitch especially when off-throttle at the middle revs. The downshifts sound like they are too low RPM. Maybe the RPM of the downshift is fine but both the pitch and tone/s at those RPMs sound poor.
  • When a car is off-throttle and then gets on the throttle, you don't hear that burst of energy. In real life, you hear a burst of noise smacking you in the face when you go from off-throttle to on-throttle. You can notice this in general driving but also the downshift blips, they sound so weak.
  • The cars need to sound much rougher but also they need to sound more dynamic. At the moment, the sounds sound too simplistic and computerized.
I think part of this may be due to technical aspects of the sound engine itself. Having said that, you can do a lot of good "tricks" with just sound samples on their own so I feel also the sound samples could use lots of improvement.

I love what RaceRoom is trying to do so kudos to them in their attempts. I love their passion for sound but I'm extremely disappointed with this final result. I was expecting much more.

P.S. The cars' physics look so static (I notice this all the time in R3E but other sims too). There were hardly any sorts of movements in that cool 1990s style replay at the top of Eau-Rouge. The car almost looked like a board floating over the track, very computerized looking.

Last edited:
Well, the V8 sound is a straight forward replica of a Ford Cosworth DFR engine, which was the most common engine in F1 in the 1989-92 period, along with the Ford Cosworth HB and Judd EV/CV.
Just for memory, both DFR and HB sounds are very similar so we recorded the cockpit sound in the Jaguar XJR14 (Cosworth HB) and the external samples are a combination of Cosworth DFR engines recordings.

So, basically, it sounds exactly like the real ones but I agree that the Cosworth is not as spectacular as the V10 and V12, especially if you never heard them in real life.
Personally, I'm totally fan of these V8 Cosworth sounds, I find them amazingly "organic" and they're so loud :D

Also, although the FR90 is fictional, the 90's era engines symphony wouldn't be complete if the engine that powered 70% of the cars in these years wasn't featured in the game ;)

And finally, as far as I know, the Automobilista F-V12 sound source is the Ferrari 412 T1 or Ferrari 412 T2, which was used by the Ferrari team during the 1994 and 1995 seasons.
The sound is very different from the FR90 V12 engine, especially from external, as we used the Ferrari 643 V12 sound as a source (1991 season). Here's the car irl :

Steady on old bean, referencing the use of a genuine Ferrari for the imminent FR90 V12 samples, may well incite a lawsuit. If Ferrari own the air around their cars, then surely is the sound not included? :O_o:
Well if it's not, I'm damned well sure Ferrari's lawyers are hard at work making it so.
Prestige my arse, all virtual cars are the same, zero's & ones, just in a different order. When are the Numpty's at Maranello gonna realize that depriving Sim enthusiasts just breeds contempt for the brand, exclusivity just doesn't roll over to the virtual world. ACC may well have one Ferrari at present but for me it's having a full complement of cars for the series that's the draw. All a lot of us want to do is imagine we are a driving god, dicing with the best, past & present drivers in our preferred genre but yet again a company that makes more money annually than a small country, sees the necessity to bleed the people who already can't afford a Ferrari, drier than a nun's Nadger.
Why the hell you would deprive yourselves of advertising to a young (not all by far I know) marketable audience and even stranger, why, oh why, when you see what S3 have done with the first 6 (previously EA exclusive) Porsche's it just beggars belief. The sound alone of the incoming red car to RR should have Maranello on their knees crawling to RR for a bit of the action, I'd personally recommend charging them big.

Guess who's waking up with a horses head on his pillow in the morning! :confused:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%