Formula One to Review Qualifying Format for 2019

Any qualifying system will do for me. What needs to be saved is the race itself.
Make it like F2 close races, but faster, I'm sure it will make any fans happy.

They should focus on 2019 aero plans and also 2021 plans to not having insane amount of loopholes instead of this wast of time ! they want to do too many things and end up destroying every one of them
also the 2019 aero change is ridiculous except the simplified front wing , they want to make rear wing more powerful (more downforce and drag) so DRS can be even more powerful :|
*it is just my understanding from 2019 aero changes so may be am i wrong

They should concentrate on sundays.
Lately I find it's harder and harder to force myself to sit and wait BOTH days just cause "thre's a F1 on telly". Probably cause I'm a quite an outdoor type. It almost screw almost of my day plans, so... lately mostly I watch recorded Qualy and live race.

I'm assuming this might have come about after the "quiet" 2nd segment last weekend?

The way I view it (I think) is pretty simple. Each car must do at least three timed laps in each session. So no sitting it out and having a cappuccino/energy drink at the back of the garage. If you don't do three timed laps, you start at the back, simple as that. I suppose you could put in place a 104% qualifying rule to make sure they push hard enough.

I suppose you could adopt the super pole format for the final top ten, but the way I look at it is people sometimes go to qualifying because they can't afford the race on Sunday. So make sure they see the cars and as much track action as possible.

Just my view! lol :)

I voted Apples on the poll, I think these rules are bananas and need to change. Go back to like 1 session, 20-30 minutes. The sport needs juicing up like a juicy apple is.

Maybe time to start following WTCR, equal car formula series, NASCAR or IndyCar next year and more GT action :D We should all just screw F1 and go to the very diverse other motorsports which provide more bang for bucks.

Hahaha Liberty Media are trying to fool a lot of fans here.
The absolute only intention behind is to get more ad money to LM.
Because 4 sessions does pay more than 3!
LM does give a **** if this qual format gets more boring - at least if it pays more.
Keep the format as it is - because often the 3 qual sessions are more exciting than the race:)

The way to generate interest on F1 again: resurrect Senna and Hunt, bring back Lauda, Prost, Mansell and ditch those ugly halo cars.

When the top teams cars are so good we have seen that they ca sacrifice an engine change and start form the back with higher engine mode (more power) and get at least a podium....

Maybe sort out some rules to make the cars more equal?
No chance from a bloke who made Button WDC in that brawn with some stupid rear deffuser....

3 segments, 4 segments, then in a few years, 19 segments where each time a driver is eliminated, so we can go back to the dreadful format we had a couple of years ago.

If we need to have multiple segments in a qualify session (why make it simple when we can make it complicated), MotoGP / WSBK format is better. First part focuses on the back of the field, second part focuses on the front.

Qualifying as it is now is the only aspect of F1 that is remotely interesting...it`s the only time your going to see these cars raced. Mercedes has even decided to ruin this just lately by hiding their true potential until the last five minutes. Qualifying is not where changes to F1 are needed. It`s the piss poor show they put on during a race (parade). How fans of F1 find this acceptable is beyond me.
Do they not watch any other form of racing.

... It`s the piss poor show they put on during a race (parade). How fans of F1 find this acceptable is beyond me.
Do they not watch any other form of racing.

but, I've just watched a fascinating blancpain gt3 endurance event at barcelona, 3 hours of gt3 racing and the lead basically never changed, black falcon mercedes #04 started on pole, pulled away, was caught back in by safety car four times or so and still never had to relinquish the lead. And this in a notoriously even field of beyond 50 entries. It can happen in the best of situations. It was still an awesome race, especially compared to the flavorless dish called russian grand prix served at the same time, a gimmicky track with shiny gimmicky cars and gimmicky drs, tire choice diversions.
i watch almost every minute of blancpain gt (well, not the 24h of spa, not all of it), in f1 i watch the first two laps and fast forward to the pit window and then fast forward to the last lap :)

back on topic: i'd prefer one 30 min session the morning of race day, no holds barred and if mercedes only need the one lap, so be it.

And the race start, up to 1-3 first laps

Why my idea is to run 3 x 1/2 distance races :O_o:

3 times the start action :confused:
3 bites of the cherry :inlove:
50% more race distance a season :x3:
Triple points :geek:
Racing Saturday and Sunday :cool:
One reverse grid :ninja:
Cars wouldn't look like tug boats at start running 50% less fuel :devilish:

I know, BTCC right but at least give me feasible reasons why not
Imagine how boring that would be if they went back to one race

It is like GP race distance and format is set in stone
Cars are only getting faster and faster and races shorter and shorter
Simply extending the distance of one race would change nothing

We've all seen Ferrari and Mercedes turn up the boost in Q2 & Q3 to propel themselves into the 1st 4 grid spots, don't know how LM think a 4th Qualy session will change the way the grid looks come race time.

Problem: I’m TIRED of seeing only the LAST corner of the top cars in Q3 with the clock at zero. All the cars are on the track at the “optimal” time, so we can only watch small portions of a few cars. Often we miss the best laps, and spend most of the time watching REPLAYS of the best moments (saves,mistakes) instead of enjoying that live and in the moment.

Why I watch qualifying: The low weight + high grip is a spectacle. This is where the track records are set. This is when we watch the fastest cars in the world get pushed to the limit.

Solution: As others mentioned, 1 shot qualifying with 1 car on track. This maximizes car TV time (sponsors are happier), allows us to more easily compare cars/drivers and witness their feats and failures, plus adds tension and makes the drivers own their mistakes.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%