Formula One to Review Qualifying Format for 2019

Add another round in quali just to see the same 2 teams at the top?

No thanks!

Asides from the opening lap, rain and the odd occassion that mercedes or ferrari are involved in a race ending incident. F1 is getting extremely boring to watch here in north america on tv.

What does it matter? The top teams can pretty much start at the back and make their way to the podium. How about this. You win a race, you start at the back next race. Might make team orders a little different :D (and yes, I am taking the piss)

Last edited:
Qualifying wont make races less sleepy.
The best way would be a total ad random starting grid and even then...most races will be very predictable.
My solution is: leave the cars as they are but put drivers ad random in different cars of the teams....now THAT would give F1 new spice

Ok, i don't think 4 qualies to 3 is a big difference. I do enjoy all "the way it use to be" comments. And here's a wrench in the gears for all the teams sandbagging or not. Give 10 points to pole, then lets really see what happens. (just an idea)...............

I've always been an advocate of the one lap qualifying system and believe pole and fastest race lap deserve something like 5 points each.
Anything to relieve the present boredom.

They should exclude cars from Q1 that start at back
Red Bull has done it heaps, they take 2 spots in Q2 from 2 other cars
they have done it a few times this year

Why should a driver did nothing wrong get penalized, ridiculous

Qualifying isn't all that important now that you can carve through the pack using DRS.

If you're in a top car, even if you start from the back you'll get top 5 without much effort at all, Bottas in Belgium for example.

I don't understand the people asking for the old system. It meant that drivers spent 40 minutes in the garage and did a few laps at the end. It wasn't better.

new proposal , just as an idea.
All cars on track . 1h . (Pit leaving order to be defined, order of the last race for example)
After every lap for each car (one lap warm up), the lowest time car is eliminated. And so on until it remains only the pole on the track.
If it remains more than one car on track after one hour, one more lap decide the final places

(It should be a mess, but very funny, a little like the game with chairs during a wedding :laugh:)

new proposal , just as an idea.
All cars on track . 1h . (Pit leaving order to be defined, order of the last race for example)
After every lap for each car (one lap warm up), the lowest time car is eliminated. And so on until it remains only the pole on the track.
If it remains more than one car on track after one hour, one more lap decide the final places

(It should be a mess, but very funny, a little like the game with chairs during a wedding :laugh:)
Qualy Royale

I don't like the current system and like the new proposals even less.

I am another who would like to see a one-lap shootout with the drivers taking turns and the championship leaders going last - could be exciting.

Failing that, I much preferred the traditional format to what we see now.

Randomised grids could be a lot of fun as long as there was a system to make it work out fairly over the course of a season ( e.g. if there were 20 races and drivers in a season, split the drivers into 5 groups of 4, give each group grid places 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 etc 4 times each season and randomise them within their group each race).

I think F1 is the sport with the most regulation changes every year.
Did it help to arouse interest from the crowd?
Don't think so, but we'll see how this turns out.

Consider this: Qualifying isn't the problem with excitement in F1, the cars are. Too much aero, too many gimmicks, not enough noise = not a lot of entertainment value for spectators. Adding to that the cars are too big and ugly as hell.

Ross ought to know better.
Is he being 'pushed' by Liberty to implement this idea?
There is nothing wrong with the current format of qualifying. It is actually the best they've ever had.
Going down some 'fox-hole' in an attempt to manufacture out-of-place runners won't go over well with most fans of the current system.
What needs to happen is the removal of DRS and all those appendages on the car which disturb the air for potential challengers.
Leaving the MGU-H and removing the MGU-K, is another good way to improve the racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back