Formula One Set For Fastest Lap Point Award

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Points Rule Tweak - Fastest Lap Point.jpg

It is expected that Formula One drivers will be awarded a single point for fastest lap in a Grand Prix, starting next week at the season opening Melbourne race.

Firing back up a points scoring system last used in the 1950's, it seems all but certain that the 2019 racing season will see a late change to the rules ahead of the Australian Grand Prix, with the inclusion of a bonus point scoring opportunity for any driver who sets the fastest lap during a Grand Prix, providing they finish inside the top ten of the overall race results.

Expected to be confirmed by the FIA in the coming days, the new rule tweak has been designed as an incentive to encourage drivers to keep pushing until the end of the race once fuel levels have dropped sufficiently to allow fast lap times, potentially facilitating opportunities for those without a significant threat from behind to bolt on a fresh set of tyres and push for the opportunity to secure an additional fastest lap point, and maybe even encouraging a bit more fighting out on the track!

Interestingly, if this rule had been in place over the last decade or so, Felipe Massa would have taken the 2008 World Championship for Ferrari, on account of his superior fastest lap tally ahead of McLaren rival Lewis Hamilton....

For more news from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out our Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Sure, why not...if it'll keep drivers pushing hard down to the last lap, it should make the battle for points between the top spots closer...however I'd rather 2 points for even more incentive; don't think 1 point/race will make a huge impact in most scenarios (I am aware championships were won by 1 point occasionally).

Pointless exercise, well, not quite maybe. We have many fastest laps set by mid runners, or worse, who pop some new boots on at the end of a race. So what credibility does this single point have? This would only possibly have relevance if drivers were able to lean on much more durable tyres.

Good. Often see the slower teams getting fastest lap on new tyres at the end of race when the front runners are saving engine.
Could result in more pit stops, and maybe more engine failures for the quick cars which isn't really a bad thing.

Pointless exercise, well, not quite maybe. We have many fastest laps set by mid runners, or worse, who pop some new boots on at the end of a race. So what credibility does this single point have? This would only possibly have relevance if drivers were able to lean on much more durable tyres.
You have to finish in the top 10, so if you are already driving in the top 10, you don't want to pit at the end of the race because that will cost you more points than you would get IF you would get fastest lap (which is no certainty).

I think the top teams will get the most of the extra points because of this. E.g. Lewis is cruising at the front, managing his distance to the number 2 in the race (which happens quite often over the past years), but now... he can get an extra point by trying to race the fastest lap near the end of the race. Let's see how this works out... I am positive about it for now.

You have to finish in the top 10, so if you are already driving in the top 10, you don't want to pit at the end of the race because that will cost you more points than you would get IF you would get fastest lap (which is no certainty).

I think the top teams will get the most of the extra points because of this. E.g. Lewis is cruising at the front, managing his distance to the number 2 in the race (which happens quite often over the past years), but now... he can get an extra point by trying to race the fastest lap near the end of the race. Let's see how this works out... I am positive about it for now.
I missed that bit. Or more to the point didn't bother reading past the headline. I am not sure that really helps at all. Would a guy in 9th picking up 2 points risk it for a fast lap point?

They're full of bright ideas, maybe they should introduce a new qualifying format too at the last minute. What could possibly go wrong?
;)

So you're in 3rd place and 20 seconds behind the leader, and just got new tyres later in the race than every one else and therefore just got the fastest lap....who cares, you're still in 3rd place and still around 20 seconds behind the leader. Why should you get a point for that?

No, just no.

Success balast for F1 so less expensive teams gets more chance, shorten the wheelbases and formula lengths because that would be simply so much better for racing and more lively dynamics, increase fuel efficiency requirements so cars would have to compromise downforce for less drag...

Make something that would be half modern formula and half 60s GP formula.

Watch F1 being relevant again.

Wheres my FIA president chair lol jk

I have to say, when thinking more about it. This may affect some teams strategy. it may encourage more racing or teams using team-mates at certain tracks for drafting. We don't know yet how much the new regs alter the gains with slipstreaming but I see scenarios where this might add rather than take away to the overall spectacle.

Top teams will be more likely to try to get their FL during the out laps on the last set of tyres.
However, a team with a very different pit strategy with even lower fuel and fresh rubber could see several midfield teams attempting to grab crucial points.

I think much of this depends on how close the mid teams are to the top teams.

Last edited:
Sure, whatever. Besides, fastest lap points aren't unusual or unheard of. It's not like it really makes much of a difference given F1's point system anyway.

Another revolutionary idea and a big big step towards the goals of 2020. The FIA as always assures everybody they know what they are doing to improve the golden child, the pinnacle of motorracing and add another cherry on top of the fairest sport on the planet. I am so excited! :poop:

There are far more good ideas in this thread already to significantly change F1 towards the better than i've ever heard from the FIA board. Its manufacturers politics and their influence on the Series which ruin real progress. Even the die-hardest fans of F1 should ask themselves what changed towards the better since Liberty Media took over and what got worse.
Drivers were always going for the fastest lap during the race as an honorable side-challenge, so this changes nothing. The worst scenario: the number two driver of the top-teams are ordered to fall back a lap, to help with drag for number one. Thats 21 points toward the WC. Thats possibly going to happen towards the end of the season to gain a team a few extra points in the Manufacturers Championship, because it could mean to get a few millions extra from the pot. Hot-lap challenge is already scamazed before the season began.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 39.9%