Who is your RaceDepartment Driver of the Day?

• Total voters

Formula One Portuguese Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Voting is open for the RaceDepartment Portuguese Grand Prix 'Driver of the Day'.

Today was our first ever visit to the Portuguese circuit of Portimao in the Algarve, and what a circuit it is!

Light drizzle created a very greasy surface on the brand new layer of tarmac, making for challenging conditions as the drivers tackled Portimao's lovely mix of fast and medium speed corners. Today's race saw lots of drivers pushing their luck with track limits, while others struggled on heavily-grained soft compound tyres.

There are some excellent candidates for Driver of the Day this weekend, not least the man whose breathtaking first couple of laps launched them into the lead in tricky, damp conditions. Then again we saw some drivers who fell back early on demonstrate class overtaking ability as they sliced their way through the field.

Let's get talking about today's race, and don't forget to cast your vote for your winner.

portimao.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.
Reactions: After_Midnight

pcraenme

500RPM
Premium
Jun 26, 2011
Voted for Kimi this time, just because of his majestic first lap (watch the onboard if you get a chance to). Both Gasly and Perez are very good runners up.

Last edited:

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
I'm just watching the replay. By god they can bring this track back for next year.
Yeah, I agree - almost stupid to not have been running this track. Hopefully the powers that be can figure out how to make it a staple.

Some really deserving drivers today for Driver of the Day, but I think it clearly has to go to Bottas for another inspired performance. Lol, j/k, he sucks. I gave it to Gasly - he's on a tear this year and put in yet another solid performance today.

motoliser

@Simberia
Jan 12, 2018
nice Venue, it would be perfect with gravel traps on every corner and no DRS! Right Max??

Last edited:

Ruttman98

250RPM
Premium
May 8, 2019
Kudos to Kimi (always a dogged and fair racer), Carlos (great at starts, amazing in the wet and made things exciting), and Checo (great recovery!), but I had to vote for Gasly who went from P9 to P6. He is getting the most out of the Honda-powered Alpha Tauri--very much in contrast with teammate Kvyat and Albon in the RB.

Very unfortunate day for Lando.

Leclerc continues to impress in the down-on-power Ferrari.

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
Kudos to Kimi (always a dogged and fair racer), Carlos (great at starts, amazing in the wet and made things exciting), and Checo (great recovery!), but I had to vote for Gasly who went from P9 to P6. He is getting the most out of the Honda-powered Alpha Tauri--very much in contrast with teammate Kvyat and Albon in the RB.

Very unfortunate day for Lando.

Leclerc continues to impress in the down-on-power Ferrari.
Really fair recap, well put! Gasly got my vote as well because he was making up spots in the top half of the grid while some of the other big movers were coming from further down the field.

Leclerc is really making Seb's final year in red a cruel goodbye. Reminds me a bit of Seb's final year at RBR when it was Ricciardo that was really showing him up.

Reactions: Fat-Alfie

fatal4you

100RPM
Oct 28, 2018
Of course MB doesn't make it easy for Bottas when they put all support for Lewis and only left over peanuts for B.
"Bad luck"-Bottas had another steering wheel error - this time it showed the engine was overheating. Surprisingly Lewis never has these malfunctions.

Reactions: Paulo Ribeiro

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
Voted Seb, just because I believe it is harder to score points in "this year Ferrari with his state of mind" than it is to score 2nd in "Bottas' state of mind with Merc". But looking at that lap 1 from Kimi, fantastic, just for it nobody who he overtook during that first lap should be in talk for driver of the day (I know that includes Seb, but I'm voting for him just for support :) ).
P.S. As someone above mentioned, I would add even that even this first lap pales in comparison with last lap of 24h race with Porsche giving up on Tandy.

fatal4you

100RPM
Oct 28, 2018
What support does Lewis enjoy that Bottas doesn't?
- Correct fuel load for qualiy (Austra 1 or 2)
- Preffered tyre choice (Lewis says what he wants and both cars get the same type of tyres)
- No steering wheel malfunctions (there was a starting incident and this time is was overheating warning)

These are just the once I remember - if you would really dig into it there would be more, guess we have to wait 20 years until a mechanic writes a book about how it really was back then.