Formula One Italian Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Who is your RaceDepartment Driver of the Day?

• Total voters
Mar 24, 2019
You mean that car whose best laptime in qualy was just 0,2 slower than McLaren and RP, and as fast as Renault, with a plus 4 second gap after the restart? Yeah that car.
Oh yes, qualy time, Bottas actually looks good there. Wonder why in the race he sux. Anyone that watched the race could see how much better the Merc and Renault engines were.

Too bad your driver didn't win.

David Dominguez

2000RPM
Apr 29, 2010
Oh yes, qualy time, Bottas actually looks good there. Wonder why in the race he sux. Anyone that watched the race could see how much better the Merc and Renault engines were.

Too bad your driver didn't win.
I use qualy times because it's the way to compare the performance of the cars.

David Dominguez

2000RPM
Apr 29, 2010
Comparing the real performance of the car with real laptimes is clearly saying that the car was on Mercedes level, you got it.

BorisTheBear

10RPM
Jan 3, 2015
Comparing the real performance of the car with real laptimes is clearly saying that the car was on Mercedes level, you got it.
God, there has to be something more in play than just that, for Mercedes, could be the case they optimise for clean air, thats why they sucked in traffic. Gasly was somehwat lucky to get to 1st, but it was 25 laps to the end and he managed to keep it all they way and under a pressure he never experienced before (considering he foughts for 1st). For me, that was a enough to think he deserves it. It was also satisfying to see him finish well ahead of Red Bull, a team that kicked him out (he was quite close to Albon couple races this season already) nearly a year ago.
I mean, this is exactly the stuff why we love to watch the racing, it a story, in this case a beatiful one. Look at Bottas, he has a car that should be ably to go much quicker but circoumstances and skill prevented him from doing that (in this case a blame him for the skill part a bit). Viewed stasitically, there are drivers who shine from time to time, and he seems to have the ability to get more from the same car than Kvjat and to create a significant enough differene for the result to be impressive.

Roque Peralta

1RPM
Premium
Sep 21, 2016
Carlos Sainz for me, although Pierre deserves credit too (he won the official DOD prize). It was really great to watch the race today, unfortunate moments for the big teams brought us a fun race that kept us tied to the screen until the end. Looking forward for more races like this one.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
It'd probably have to be Pierre Gasly for me. He kept it together under pressure. I think it was Paul di Resta that mentioned it on the broadcast that he was under huge pressure keeping a gap with Sainz, while managing the defaults inside the cockpit with his team. Hope he can get more results like these in the future.

Sainz and Stroll had great races too, another couple laps and I think Sainz might've had the win. Stroll has gotten better in the races and qualifying so I think he could have consistent podium finishes in the future too!

Reactions: Bowzer_33

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Gasly got my vote, but Sainz could also have been my pick. They both drove amazing races. Let's not forget Stroll, who could have won this race if he had not messed up his restart. He's much improved this season.

derp6445

10RPM
Jun 18, 2019
Who the hell voted for Bottas? I would understand if this was for the worst driver of the day.

That guy is such a waste, driving the best car BY FAR...
Bottas showed that he isn't good enough for the Merc seat. He's in a car that should have passed Norris by lap 10. He should've won the race, not finish 5th.

aphidgod

2000RPM
Premium
Jun 27, 2015
Qualy is very different to race. I mean, I thought everyone knew that already...

Do you also watch free practices and start jumping into conclusions?
Please keep picking a fight about how cars work with David, I'm going to find it very entertaining.

Carlo Meller

50RPM
Dec 24, 2009
3 drivers
lewis...too high level
sainz...massive,was 2nd with great gap on others
gasly...very lucky,but perfect when he was under pressure

Reactions: Ulfhedinn

Sasha Jednak

Sasa Jednak
Premium
Mar 27, 2011
All of a sudden people say the AlphaTauri is a car on Mercedes level and Gasly's win wasn't spectacular.

The hate is strong.
Based on (some) comments in last few years I thought Merc's car is on AT/TR level all the time and driver was making all the difference. :D