Who is your RaceDepartment Driver of the Day?

• Total voters

Formula One Italian Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Voting is now open for the RaceDepartment Italian Grand Prix 'Driver of the Day'!

We were treated to a spectacular Italian Grand Prix today at Monza that had it all: a shake up to the order, brave overtakes, high speed accidents, safety cars, penalties and the first red flag in over three years! Now that you've enjoyed the race, all that's left for you to do is vote for your RaceDepartment Formula One Driver of the Day.

Does our race winner deserve to be awarded this title, after winning his team their first race in over a decade? Perhaps it should go to the man who pushed him all the way, and would probably have won without the red flag? Maybe you have your eye on the third podium finisher, or someone further down the grid?

Have your say by casting your vote in the poll, and let's get a good discussion going in the comments section!

682px-Frecce_tricolori_-_2018_Italian_Grand_Prix_-_Monza_(30031178147).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

Charlie Lockwood

RaceDepartment Writer
Staff member
Premium
Feb 22, 2016
My vote goes to Sainz. He was the only driver who managed to keep his second position amidst the chaos near the end, while everyone else in the top drive lost theirs and has fallen back.
Agreed. I have to give my vote to Sainz too. Pierre drove beautifully, but Carlos really drove the wheels off of that McLaren today, and I feel like he would have dominated the rest of the race had it not been for the red flag. Unlucky, but his time will come.

Last edited:

RobertGracie

250RPM
Jun 4, 2017
Two words.....PIERRE GASLY, The last laps of that race when Merc dropped the ball and it was what racing should be about, there should be no babying it...it should be like that ever race....

I know they wont do reverse Championship grid qualifying races of 20 laps instead of qualifying but if they did and it looked like that every week with a mixed up grid....we can all dream....but sadly we are stuck with the Mercedes Tri-pointed star at the front of the grid in the current era...

Last edited:

davehenrie

500RPM
Jun 4, 2017
How does one keep things legit with reverse grid Q? Hamilton....I have a tire vibration...Verstappen...Overheating.....suddenly they are 9th and 10th or 19th & 20th. Come raceday, all problems magicallly disappear.

Daniel Monteiro

2000RPM
Staff member
Premium
Sep 1, 2008
How does one keep things legit with reverse grid Q? Hamilton....I have a tire vibration...Verstappen...Overheating.....suddenly they are 9th and 10th or 19th & 20th. Come raceday, all problems magicallly disappear.
Reverse grid means there is no qualifying session at all. The starting position for the race is the reverse order of the championship standings. So yes, it would solve many things :)

David Dominguez

2000RPM
Apr 29, 2010
You are right, Gasly sucked. If he didn't have that absurd car he wouldn't have won the race.
He didnt suck, but he didnt do anything special to win the race other than avoiding mistakes and being extremely lucky with the SCs and red flag. And his car was at best 0.1 or 0.2s slower than the cars behind besides Bottas, so it's not that extraordinary that he kept them behind. Even Hamilton struggled to pass some cars despite being over a second quicker.

bsmooth

500RPM
Jul 27, 2015
Sainz or Gasly, very tough choice, but in the end it just shows how much new talent is up and coming. This has to be the best race I have seen in quite some time. Maybe because I thought it would be the same old thing, and as it turned out it was something completely different.
Monza will always be something special. Its a great mixture of old and new, Without the Tifosi, it wasn't quite the same, but they would have stormed the track for sure.
This race is as all the races should be, exciting and always on the edge of your seat. The announcers actually talking about racing and not about undercutting it overcutting, not about tire temps or even the weather, although it was hot and did affect engine temps.
That last lap made it all the better still. When it was all said and done, I had to catch my breathe, and isn't that what F1 racing should be ?

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
He didnt suck, but he didnt do anything special to win the race other than avoiding mistakes and being extremely lucky with the SCs and red flag. And his car was at best 0.1 or 0.2s slower than the cars behind besides Bottas, so it's not that extraordinary that he kept them behind. Even Hamilton struggled to pass some cars despite being over a second quicker.
Gasly didn't do anything special other than a perfect drive from 2nd start to finish.

It isn't even a question of what performance gap Sainz needed to pass Gasly, because he didn't even had a chance to attempt it.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
Yea nothing special, he just won a race with an Alpha Tauri with a Honda engine.

paracletus

1000RPM
Dec 6, 2013
gazly, got it done and held on when the opportunity did arise. quite a straightforward track though.

also good performances sainz and hamilton; props where due it was obviously difficult to pass here now that the engine modes are gone and stuff.

Reactions: Tim Meuris

David Dominguez

2000RPM
Apr 29, 2010
Gasly didn't do anything special other than a perfect drive from 2nd start to finish.

It isn't even a question of what performance gap Sainz needed to pass Gasly, because he didn't even had a chance to attempt it.
Indeed he did nothing special from the restart, other than driving with no mistakes. But then, Sainz or Norris or Ricciardo didn't make any mistakes either, they were just unlucky with the SC and red flag conditions, with the difference that on top of this Sainz and Norris were on podium positions by their own merits before the SC, having both passed a Mercedes car on track. Any of them would have won if they had Gasly's luck because the pace gap between all of those cars was pretty much nothing.

Reactions: dylanstark