Alright when was that again.....?

Kimi.jpg

20 more years!

That Acura NSX is just a nice-lookin' vehicle...in any class of road-going or racing version.
There is one displayed inside the HondaJet facility and I can't resist 'inspecting' it each and every time I walk into the building.

I think he is a seat warmer saving a place for someone probably from the lower formula who needs a few more credits to get super licence. The team are lucky to have someone with Kimi's talent and experience.
And i dont think hes making the big bucks driving in a team like this. A mere fraction of his Scuderia Ferrari salary.

A bit tone deaf considering 'We Race as One' in a country that has been widely criticized for human right violations. I guess as long as you pony up the entry fee we'll overlook this one instance.

I hope members of the press will ask drivers, team members, and F1 how they are justifying the event. Maybe we are missing a point of view other than money. If this is purely about money with no explanation, I will add this to my list of reasons not to follow F1. The list has been growing over the last couple years.

Reactions: DND
I've been watching since the 1970's and despite what youtube shows you it's always been about 1 or maybe 2 teams .
^This. It always seems that people have rose-coloured glasses when discussing F1's history. There has practically always been one or two dominant teams, then a mid-field, and then the guys at the back, regardless of era. A graphic shown on TV after Merc won their latest championship testified to this... there were multiple periods of the same teams winning the championship 3/4/5 times in a row. The various stats on the number of overtakes per race also show little difference between eras, showing that the actual racing itself hasn't changed a lot.

I think what really has changed, and what has really contributed to F1 becoming "boring", is that the cars themselves just aren't exciting to watch anymore. They may be ridiculously fast and full of the latest technology, but that doesn't automatically translate into being fun to watch. These days if a car has a momentary twitch on the back end coming out of a corner, the commentators go wild as if the driver was close to losing it in spectacular fashion. Compare that to previous eras when man-handling the car around the track and being on a knife-edge was the norm, and it shows how much more sterile these cars really are.

Personally, I think 2020 has actually been somewhat more "exciting" (I use the word loosely) due to the midfield battles being so much closer than previously. But I think it's going to take a fundamental change for F1 to be truly exciting again. Perhaps that will be 2022, but I doubt it.

Personally, I think 2020 has actually been somewhat more "exciting" (I use the word loosely) due to the midfield battles being so much closer than previously. But I think it's going to take a fundamental change for F1 to be truly exciting again. Perhaps that will be 2022, but I doubt it.

I agree with your whole post, but particularly this. Personally, I really enjoy the midfield battles.

To me, the better thing about older cars was the sound too. They also were arguably more attractive. I was surprised when I met a F1 fan who said that because of the halo it is now "completely unwatchable." I didn't ask if he was a member of RaceDepartment and played Automobilista 2 though.

I sat on a chartered coach from a Montreal Hotel taking me to the subway station to the track. Two old men behind me where whining about Schumacher. I did not like it ald told them to shut up. He was the biggest talent i had seen since Senna.
The problem with the old men is like my father who watches the sport but does not comprehend the technical side. And he to arrogant for me to teach. He picks the nice guy in the bad car or someone who was good once and has fallen backwards. So he picks the wrong driver and moans because he is a saw loser.

Most people i know here in Canada like Ice Hockey or Baseball even Soccer (Football in England) I just can't watch that stuff on TV. It is slow and boring to me no matter how many beers i have.

I am strictly F1, NASCAR and Basketball Maybee NFL but i am going of that.

I agree with your whole post, but particularly this. Personally, I really enjoy the midfield battles.

To me, the better thing about older cars was the sound too. They also were arguably more attractive. I was surprised when I met a F1 fan who said that because of the halo it is now "completely unwatchable." I didn't ask if he was a member of RaceDepartment and played Automobilista 2 though.
The Haylo makes a over head view which is better than the driver view. And Graphics can be put onto haylo for brakes and revs. The sound is bad but car companies have little interest in big block engines (V8 or bigger) on the road so they need small block engines so the tech goes into road car. On TV today there was a review of a small 3 cylinder car from Mitsubishi Verry easy on Gas.

I've been watching since the 1970's and despite what youtube shows you it's always been about 1 or maybe 2 teams . There has been odd exceptions but the best racing has always been midfield.
Yes Domination will be part of any sport. In motor racing there is a big difference in money and performance from one team to the next. The amount of money used by a team to build a car and haul it all over the world must be very big. Every time a car crashes or retires you can see the dollar bills floating away.

I absolutely loved the variety of circuits used this year, which was absolutely great. For the rest F1 bored me to death again and I fear the next year will be exactly the same again.

It needs a drastic reform to become interesting again.
You say you lost interest. So what changed. All i can see is a few silly rules here and there but nothing drastic. Sometimes the past seems better from where we are. 10 years from now we will think these are the golden years.

When i was in school we had assembly and the principal showed a picture in his office. It was a cow in a field looking to the next field.
The cow says oh i want to go to the other field the grass is so nice and green, unlike this one. One day the Farmer takes the cows into the next field. Soon the cow looks the previous field and realizes the grass is greener.
The picture is called the grass is always greener. Sometimes in life we think we can make things better than they are but really there just ok if you leave them alone.

F1 is the same it has always been since the inception in 1950. Rules have changed and the sport has become safer but the object is the same. Go quick beat team mate, Finish event and maybe get a couple of points.

So I have been thinking a lot about why I am so down on F1 being boring. I downloaded some stats and performed some simple analysis that will help me understand why I thought prior decades were better than the last decade. These are factors that make seasons interesting to myself. They may not be as significant to other people.

The boring factors Include:
  • Ratio of Unique Winners to Total Races in the Season
  • Ratio of Unique Teams to Win a Race to Total Races in the Season
  • % of Races Won by Champion
  • % of Races Won by Constructors Champion
  • Ratio of 1st to 2nd Place Win Differential to Total Races

Some key visual take-aways:
  • '60's, '70's, and '80's were generally more interesting compared to the last 3 decades.
  • The last decade has been the most boring for unique race and team winners.
  • '80's produced the best driver and team championship races
  • The Schumacher & Mercedes time periods were generally the most boring
  • The first half of the '00's were boring and the second half very interesting

Borning Season.JPG

Literally if F1 was as boring as the wine o's make it out to be it would not exist. So that fact there is TV and media for F1 and fans says otherwise.
I was sad when the Virus hit the Australian GP and there was only sim racing tel July. That is how much it means to me. 1 race at Imola where i was unsure what happened. I was tired and in a zombie state. But that was the fact i burnt myself out the previous week with commitments and running around.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 89 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 13.9%