Formula One Emilia Romagna Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Who is your Driver of the Day?

• Total voters

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
Sergio Perez for me. He really had 3rd in the bag to my eyes, inexplicable move on the team's part.

I recall they did this in one of Hulk's fill in races too (he was running well late, but they pitted him).

When the other driver is the boss's son, I think questions are in order.

eco2006

100RPM
Sep 10, 2018
Sergio Perez for me. He really had 3rd in the bag to my eyes, inexplicable move on the team's part.

I recall they did this in one of Hulk's fill in races too (he was running well late, but they pitted him).

When the other driver is the boss's son, I think questions are in order.
Do you really think they sacrifice WC Points just to lose Perez some places and not even falling behind Stroll?
I think they pitted him because they thought everybody else would as well. If he would not have pitted, the others, like Ricciardo, may would have, i think it was not an easy decision for the team. In hindsight its easy to say it was the wrong decision.

Badwheels

75RPM
Premium
Jul 9, 2020
Funny how when the season started, everyone was talking about how racing point was the next best car to Mercedes and it sure doesn't seem that way.

Obviously the Marx Bros. have taken over Ferrari's pit stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianthem

BazzaLB

250RPM
Jun 25, 2009
I'm not a Perez fan by any stretch, in fact I think he is pretty overrated, but he got absolutely robbed by his team. That pit stop call seemed dumb at the time and even dumber at the end. I was pretty disappointed because I wanted to see if he would challenge Bottas for second.

This is one of the few sports where second place complains about first place holding him up so third place can over take him. Its got ridiculous these days. Good to see some people know how to overtake at least.,

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulo Ribeiro

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
Do you really think they sacrifice WC Points just to lose Perez some places and not even falling behind Stroll?
I think they pitted him because they thought everybody else would as well. If he would not have pitted, the others, like Ricciardo, may would have, i think it was not an easy decision for the team. In hindsight its easy to say it was the wrong decision.
Honestly? Yeah, I think it's possible - it kept Perez off the podium, after all. I think *probably* you are right, it was a bad strategy call made in the heat of the moment...but, personally, I am willing to entertain the possibility other motivations could have factored in. As far as the WC points...yeah, those are worth serious money...serious money to you and me, but have you ever used one of those relative wealth calculator thingies where you can see how much $X seems to people with billions in net worth? The reality is, the Strolls can afford to make decisions worth millions and give them about the same amount of thought and analysis you or I would put into whether or not to buy the new iPhone.

eco2006

100RPM
Sep 10, 2018
Honestly? Yeah, I think it's possible - it kept Perez off the podium, after all. I think *probably* you are right, it was a bad strategy call made in the heat of the moment...but, personally, I am willing to entertain the possibility other motivations could have factored in. As far as the WC points...yeah, those are worth serious money...serious money to you and me, but have you ever used one of those relative wealth calculator thingies where you can see how much $X seems to people with billions in net worth? The reality is, the Strolls can afford to make decisions worth millions and give them about the same amount of thought and analysis you or I would put into whether or not to buy the new iPhone.
I guess you believe Vettel and Bottas drive different cars as well?

Reactions: boa.st and ianthem

Martin Maaskant

250RPM
Premium
Aug 24, 2008
Hard one this time. Considered Verstappen, Kvyat, Perez and Ricciardo. In the end I voted for Daniel because he brought that Renault to the podium

Reactions: boa.st

max1966i

100RPM
Premium
Jul 24, 2013
I voted for Lewis. He may not have got the best start and was fortunate not to collect Gasly after the start but he kept his foot in when Bottas and Max pitted.

He looked to have done enough to come out in front before the safety car and his restart was spot on.

He is in the best car and almost always delivers, huge respect.

Reactions: snyperal

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
I agree it is difficult to imagine they wanted to ruin Pérez's race, but their decision was obviously stupid. This is Imola, not Monza or another track where it is easy to pass with fresh tyres. Also Pérez is a very good driver, but not the kind of aggressive overtaker to make 4 places in a handful of laps. He was stuck behind Raikkonen long enough to remind his team that he is no Verstappen or Ricciardo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ltcars and muzikant

GP STONER

100RPM
Jul 7, 2018
If i follow the end result it would be Lewis. If i voted for the driver that was a suprise it would be kyviat

For not spinning it would be vettel.

If i voted for the best crash would be russell. For overtaking it would be max on bottas.

But in the end i voted for the guy that drives that scooter that brings back angry stranded drivers.
Because he brings back drivers that crashed for tons of money get paid more but he dont crash

• Haha
Reactions: download

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
Apr 26, 2020
I voted for Lewis. He may not have got the best start and was fortunate not to collect Gasly after the start but he kept his foot in when Bottas and Max pitted.

He looked to have done enough to come out in front before the safety car and his restart was spot on.

He is in the best car and almost always delivers, huge respect.
I voted for Lewis because of his first stint. He got very lucky with the VSC, but that long first stint put him in a position to be able to capitalize.

Reactions: snyperal

muzikant

1000RPM
Apr 19, 2010
Ricciardo because once again he his the best driver of the season! Manages to put crappy Renault on 3rd place in the championship.
Oh man do you really think Ricardo is the best .. yesterday of course he got the third place as a gift, you can say the same about Max that he always puts them worthless Honda on place 3 or 2
ok, serious ... nothing to the detriment of Ric, I think he is a good racer and a sympathetic person. and without luck you will get nowhere

Last edited:
Reactions: ast654

Ternauwies2020

100RPM
Premium
Apr 14, 2009
Funny how when the season started, everyone was talking about how racing point was the next best car to Mercedes and it sure doesn't seem that way.

Obviously the Marx Bros. have taken over Ferrari's pit stops.
Well if you put Hamilton or Max in the RP it might have been the 2nd best car this season.

motoliser

@Simberia
Jan 12, 2018
Oh man do you really think Ricardo is the best .. yesterday of course he got the third place as a gift, you can say the same about Max that he always puts them worthless Honda on place 3 or 2
ok, serious ... nothing to the detriment of Ric, I think he is a good racer and a sympathetic person. and without luck you will get nowhere
Worthless Honda??? The same car that together with AMG Mercedes laped everyone early on this season??? Even Albon gets to stay close to Max if it wasnt for the lack of team support and some mistakes of his own.
Ricciardo has to fight the entire field with a crappy Renault and that's why he shows again he is the best.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PaulAM and ast654
Mar 24, 2019
Worthless Honda??? The same car that together with AMG Mercedes laped everyone early on this season??? Even Albon gets to stay close to Max if it wasnt for the lack of team support and some mistakes of his own.
Ricciardo has to fight the entire field with a crappy Renault and that's why he shows again he is the best.
Now I understand why there are people that actually believe the Earth is flat.

Nick Hill

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 26, 2013
I guess you believe Vettel and Bottas drive different cars as well?
Ha, no, *that* I do not subscribe to. I think both Vettel and Bottas are getting beat fair and square by superior teammates.

My point is, the raison d'etre of the entire Racing Point enterprise is that it's a giant passion/ego project for a very wealthy man and his son. It's a project being done at a time and investment scale that would make normal people's heads explode, but we are dealing with normal levels of wealth (or, frankly, ego) here. So I remain open to the *possibility* that, yes, the team could possibly take decisions that benefit Lance to the detriment of his teammate and/or the overall team position.