Who is your Driver of the Day?

• Total voters

Formula One Emilia Romagna Grand Prix | Driver of the Day: Vote Now

Voting has opened for the RaceDepartment Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 'Driver of the Day'.

After 14 years, we finally made our return to Imola, making Italy the first country to host 100 Formula One races.

The modified circuit layout enabled some drivers to brave overtakes into turn one, with the new main straight a couple of hundred metres longer. A race strewn with driver errors and mechanical failures added to the excitement of returning to a classic circuit.

There are a few drivers who clinched their best finishes of the season, marking them as possible candidates for driver of the day. One driver even went on to claim an unexpected second podium of their season, confirming a strong step forwards by them and their team.

Let us know who you thought starred in today's race, and get some discussion going about the result.

Imola Ferrari.jpg

Last edited:
22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

Charlie Lockwood

RaceDepartment Writer
Staff
Premium
Feb 22, 2016
For me Driver of the Day goes to Sergio Perez, with Kvyat a close second. Not many really stood out to me today, and I think a lot of drivers inherited positions they'd have struggled to get otherwise, but Perez did a very good job at climbing above a faster Ferrari and both McLarens.

It's unfortunate that Bottas suffered car damage and that the VSC played such a decisive factor in the result.

On the plus side I thought there was some great racing and it was wonderful to see F1 cars touring Imola once again.

Last edited:

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
I got up at 7am Pacific time (Yes i rolled a hour back Saturday) Exited about return to this old school track where all the greats have driven. The home of the shock horror death of the late great Ayerton Senna the greatest of them all in my mind.
The race was dull in the sky and on track. I was hoping a big accident may spice it up. My Driver of the day Was Laffiti, Yes he is Canadian like me and he's driving the Williams. He almost got the point for last place so i am happy for him. And he beat Russell his more experienced team mate who retired.

I have said it before and it would shake things up and make it hard to compare areas, lets face it we already have with constant chaining of points system. I would like to a system like NASCAR when all starting positions have a points value. So if you finish the race at the back you don't go home empty handed. And any retirements ahead will advance you places. This will help teams at the back and give them something to race for. If a driver has a minor problem with car then they will pull over and retire. He will get 0 points if he hauls it home so who cares. If there was a points incentive to keep going he would take it. Why sweat it out for approx 200 miles for 0 points.

LeSunTzu

1000RPM
Feb 13, 2013
It is too difficult to choose between Albon and Russell who are already fighting hard over Grosjean's legacy even before his retirement is effective. So I voted for Pérez who must be used to idiotic strategy calls by now. At least Seb Vettel will not be disoriented about that next year. :D

Paul Jeffrey

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief
Staff
Premium
Jun 5, 2009
A few decent candidates out on track today, but in the end I dropped for Daniel Ricciardo for once again dragging a great result out of his Renault. For me, Formula One is a far better sport with drivers the calibre of Ricciardo toward the sharp end of the grid.

Also shout outs have to go to Kimi for another great drive once again proving his value to being in Formula One (and frankly, deserving of a better car), and also Kvyat for not driving like Kvyat.

Final note, happy to see Renault making progress - could Fernando Alonso actually be coming back to a half competitive proposition next year... ? That would be awesome.

ATSSHD

250RPM
Apr 18, 2017
I got up at 7am Pacific time (Yes i rolled a hour back Saturday) Exited about return to this old school track where all the greats have driven. The home of the shock horror death of the late great Ayerton Senna the greatest of them all in my mind.
The race was dull in the sky and on track. I was hoping a big accident may spice it up. My Driver of the day Was Laffiti, Yes he is Canadian like me and he's driving the Williams. He almost got the point for last place so i am happy for him. And he beat Russell his more experienced team mate who retired.

I have said it before and it would shake things up and make it hard to compare areas, lets face it we already have with constant chaining of points system. I would like to a system like NASCAR when all starting positions have a points value. So if you finish the race at the back you don't go home empty handed. And any retirements ahead will advance you places. This will help teams at the back and give them something to race for. If a driver has a minor problem with car then they will pull over and retire. He will get 0 points if he hauls it home so who cares. If there was a points incentive to keep going he would take it. Why sweat it out for approx 200 miles for 0 points.
You need to earn the points.. This is not Nascar.

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
Hesitated between Kvyat, Ricciardo and Perez. Ended picking Kvyat. Very glad Renault is improving. I wonder if Ricciardo regrets switching to McLaren? Anyway, it would be nice if, for once, Alonso actually chose the right team!