Formula One Development Proposals Revealed by Liberty Media

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2021 Proposals .jpg

A bold proposal to reinvigorate Formula One has been presented to the teams in Bahrain on Friday, giving an interesting insight into the plans of owners Liberty Media...

With Liberty Media keen to understand and address many of the perceived barriers to growing and improving the Formula One product, and in conjunction with the hugely experienced and successful Ross Brawn who now holds the office of Formula One Managing Director of Motorsports and Technical Director, the following criteria for further developments to the sport have been laid out to teams in Bahrain on Friday, offering a look into the future vision of the sports owners to grow the series over the coming years.

Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO of Formula One had the following to say following the presentation to teams in Bahrain:

“Formula 1 is a sport with a rich history. We want to preserve, protect and enhance that history by unleashing F1s potential, by putting our fans at the heart of a more competitive and more exciting sport. We are driven by one desire: to create the world’s leading sporting brand. Fan- centred, commercially successful, profitable for our teams, and with technological innovation at its heart.”

At its core, the proposals presented to the teams on Friday morning contain the following key strategic initiatives:

Power Units
  • The PU must be cheaper, simpler, louder, have more power and reduce the necessity of grid penalties.
  • It must remain road relevant, hybrid and allow manufacturers to build unique and original PU.
  • New PU rules must be attractive for new entrants and Customer teams must have access to equivalent performance.
Costs
  • We believe how you spend the money must be more decisive and important than how much money you spend.
  • While there will be some standardised elements, car differentiation must remain a core value
  • Implement a cost cap that maintains Formula 1's position as the pinnacle of motorsport with a state-of-the-art technology.
Revenues
  • The new revenue distribution criteria must be more balanced, based on meritocracy of the current performance and reward success for the teams and the Commercial Rights Holder.
  • F1s unique, historical franchise and value must and will still be recognised.
  • Revenue support to both cars and engine suppliers.
Sporting and technical rules & regulations
  • We must make cars more raceable to increase overtaking opportunities.
  • Engineering technology must remain a cornerstone but driver’s skill must be the predominant factor in the performance of the car.
  • The cars must and will remain different from each other and maintain performance differentiators like aerodynamics, suspensions and PU performance. However, we believe areas not relevant to fans need to be standardised.
Governance
  • A simple and streamline structure between the teams, the FIA and Formula 1.
Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What do you think of the Liberty Media proposals? Is this enough / too much to move Formula One to the next level? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The first hybrid versions didn't do much damage. It's just that 2015 insanity.

Can't say anything. This is just waffling. Need specifics.

I mean, they should have specific already, no? April 30 or so is the deadline for rules changes.

They would have to bring Senna's ghost and unretire Alain Prost to make this thing interesting again. The current crop of pilots are as interesting as a 20 hour filibuster.

Christ!....
If I have to listen to Brundle and that other guy and endure another commentary like AUS two weekends ago, I'm tuning out of F1 and just watching clips.
Keep Calm: in Italy for 20 years we have had Gianfranco Mazzoni, Ettore Giovannelli and Stella Bruno...the Holy Trinity...

They've just restated every contradictory aim we've had for ages. How is it to be achieved? That's the question. That said I think political infighting is part of the fabric of f1 now

Am I the only one who still loves F1?
No you're not I still like it too! Granted there are a few issues, but on the whole I enjoy watching.

This proposal seems a bit vauge and lacking detail but I read somewhere the teams have been told a lot more and have all agreed not to make it public. Would be interesting to get some thoughts from Mercedes and Ferrari as well as Renault as they've been vocal about things fairly recently.. I guess that's what all the TV people will be asking about this weekend.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back