Formula One: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix

As far as Williams is concerned I just think that Robert, George and Clare are not the ones to take them to the next level. Would love it if Nigel got involved.

Its not about caring, if you would have read, it was artificial 'good racing' and 'bunched up' being a %99 spec series. I'd take that bet in a second, in the US, F1 is destroying indycar in TV ratings. China's race wasn't mind blowing, no. But one OK race doesn't equate to people not caring. 10's of millions of racing fans around the world care. Kinda shows here don't it?

Well Mr. Cob, I read just fine thanks. Obviously you know pretty much everything about what constitutes "caring." Indeed, F1 will always have a huge following and an unbeatable hype machine that helps produce big "ratings."

Thanks for quoting my post in two separate instances. I love to annoy experts.
See ya.

I kind of doubt Gasly makes it through the year in the RB - if/when he gets dropped, do they send him to the STR, or just turn him loose? I know with Kyvat/Max they did the swap, but I think Kyvat might bring some cash to the deal that may have sweetened the pot a bit. Seems like psychologically the mid season demotion was a total disaster for Kyvat, so wondering if RB would put someone else through that.

Well Mr. Cob, I read just fine thanks. Obviously you know pretty much everything about what constitutes "caring." Indeed, F1 will always have a huge following and an unbeatable hype machine that helps produce big "ratings."

Thanks for quoting my post in two separate instances. I love to annoy experts.
See ya.
I noticed you dodged your initial response to competition when there were zero passes in the race. Funny huh?
Umm you didn't annoy me, so I don't know what your love fest is all about.

And the F1 race, everyone needs to remember, not every lap or entire race is a '10', sometimes the races are just another race, but I highly doubt any remaining races will equal a 'meh' like China did.

I noticed you dodged your initial response to competition when there were zero passes in the race. Funny huh?
Umm you didn't annoy me, so I don't know what your love fest is all about.

And the F1 race, everyone needs to remember, not every lap or entire race is a '10', sometimes the races are just another race, but I highly doubt any remaining races will equal a 'meh' like China did.

What is your major malfunction? Seriously, you go to everything IndyCar-related (and sometimes not IndyCar-related) all over the internet whether it's forums, YouTube comments, or even livestream chats (like David Land's livestream with Adam Stern) and troll while pretending like you're an insider on the sport trying to convey how, in your factually incorrect opinions, everything is awful, and yet you are proven wrong every single time. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

What is your major malfunction? Seriously, you go to everything IndyCar-related (and sometimes not IndyCar-related) all over the internet whether it's forums, YouTube comments, or even livestream chats (like David Land's livestream with Adam Stern) and troll while pretending like you're an insider on the sport trying to convey how, in your factually incorrect opinions, everything is awful, and yet you are proven wrong every single time. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
hy·per·bo·le: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. Sound's like this post, no?
Just because you see a comment, under my name, doesn't equate to "running all over the internets". Calling that trolling usually is over blown by a margin of 5Mill here.

I've never said anything is awful. There are many, many, many indycar fans that would rather lie and misrepresent the happenings in the series. And I've never been proven wrong with anything, "every single time"

I personally know many of the on going things in indycar and Nascar, going on nearly 3 decades. "Proven wrong"? When people flat out lie about attendance, by the tune of 100K or 150K for indy for example, they are corrected - by me, showing where the president of IMS, Jay Frye, said that there's 220,000 showing for indy in 2018, Not 300K or 375K.
And more OEM's coming to indycar, I said weeks ago that there is nothing, then called a liar by the faithful, only for Robin Miller to set the story straight last week by saying there's no 3rd or 4th OEM coming, and that, that is indycar/IMS speak for years.

So no, I'm never "proven wrong every single time".
Now lets get back to the F1 race.

What's beyond me is why did Ferrari waited so many laps ( I believe 10 ) to pit Leclerc!? Given the 5 secs difference with Verstappen at the end, it would have at least given him a chance to catch and pass him since he was faster in the last 15 laps - I see no rational for having waited that long in first and second pit stops. Am I missing something here?

I'd certainly be upset if I was Leclerc.

Last year in China GP, Kimi was used as a rolling chicane, Kimi was not allowed to pit before lap 27, not many was upset about that here in forums.

Welcome to Ferrari Charles Leclerc :thumbsup:

Yes they have a whole stock of bitter pills for Leclerc to swallow. If he had not realized there is a big "2" painted on the back of his racing suit, he should be aware now.

Btw that China GP was not very exciting, but the Long Beach GP was even worse. Sometimes races are uneventful whatever the category.

And as young Ferrari shaped Leclerc has learned, he gave the correct, political opinion on the matter.
"Being in the car it was a bit frustrating but, on the other hand, I'm well aware that being in the car you don't see much of the full picture of the race. So I just accepted it, did it and just focused on my race."

GOOD boy Charles, head pat:D

But there's changes coming.
"Ferrari hint at changes after controversial Charles Leclerc call"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motors...s/news-story/d73b2184db2aa1ea66e6562905f65d2e

It would be a savage blow if this decision costs ferrari the world championship. As it stands the youngster would've been ahead of Seb going into the next race.

I think it was too early to start with team. Orders, and they certainly should've pitted him earlier to give him a crack at max. Surely this situation would have been predicted or an option by their strategists?

Do you really think that...or are you just kidding?
Hulk has had lots of time learning every single system, button, etc...on that Renault chassis.
Do you really think it wouldn't take a driver...any driver, time to acclimatize to a new car?
Bottas is finally getting into his element with the Mercedes chassis...and I rate him a very good driver despite what others might believe.
It takes time to learn all the intricacies of any new car.

It didn't take Dan that long to get used to the faster Red Bull from TR.....funny that...
And Bottas went from zero to race winner pretty quick in the Merc.
I do think Hulk is under rated though yes... He would be a prefect fit for Merc but never gets mentioned.

What any Motorsport needs is the best drivers not in the best cars / bikes...
This is why there is so much fake stuff in car racing, BoP, weight, boost etc.
Having the best in the best is just predictable and dull for fans of the sport.
V8 supercars is in a similar situation, best driver in best car... far far more exciting to see the best drivers in slightly slower cars / bikes...

If anyone watches super bikes Jonny Rea this year is riding out of his skin and it is a joy to watch...

Bottas blending over to let Lewis past (makes sense Bottas isn't as fast as Lewis) means we get a dull race at the front as the best driver is in the best car....

MotoGP is knife edge stuff so as we saw yesterday a rider can bin it at any point....
F1 is not like that, the cars are too planted and easy to drive.

I know everyone hates it, but Formula E is nailing it right now IMO, i am enjoying it anyway.

Williams F1 team has had many good drivers like Ayrton Senna etc. and I would like to remind you that Sir Frank Williams stated that Bottas is most talented F1 driver he has never seen. ;)

Most team principals say that though.
Senna once famously said "if you think i am good wait till you see my nephew...."
Bruno.....
Bottas would not have won a race had he not lucked into Merc. However good he is...
Imagine he'd stayed at Williams.... you think he'd of got pole at China in Russell's car??!

Williams F1 team has had many good drivers like Ayrton Senna etc. and I would like to remind you that Sir Frank Williams stated that Bottas is most talented F1 driver he has never seen. ;)
Is this some word game? :D It sounds like Sir Williams said he never watches races in which Bottas takes part. And out of all drivers he doesn't watch, Bottas is most talented. And since not watching Bottas's races means he is not watching anyone in F1, we are back to beginning. Bottas is most talented driver in F1 :roflmao:
Now, that of course calls to question Toto and why are they fixing races for Lewis instead of their real star driver. :roflmao:

Yes they have a whole stock of bitter pills for Leclerc to swallow. If he had not realized there is a big "2" painted on the back of his racing suit, he should be aware now.
The thing is though, I'm sure all this was discussed and agreed too before he signed a contract. It seems likely Vettel signed his contract on the basis he's the number one driver. Unless Ferrari were just sneaky about it and lied to everyone. So all the complaining is for show.

Leclerk is a great talent but he's only in the door, he's shown great turn of speed but I have concerns he's not managing his car effectively during a race and if he was let off the leach that he'd drive the car ragged before he made the finish line.

I don't think they should abandon Vettel just because there's a new pup. Vettel put his time in and if his contract says Ferrari are supposed to back him for the championship, then that's what should happen.

And you think Marquez drives a KTM ?

Come on Marc is out of this world. Motorbikes in fairness have higher danger level and the rider can have a bigger effect over the bike than a car, Martin Brundle says 10% is driver in an F1 car, motorbikes more like 80%.
I don't want bikes v's cars though as i love both.
I am not like these sad people that feel they have to chose between them....

Key is where the riders team mates are... F1 is two by two...like bloody noah's ark but less exciting..

Tell that to Zarco and Lorenzo. And to Rossi btw.

The thing is though, I'm sure all this was discussed and agreed too before he signed a contract. It seems likely Vettel signed his contract on the basis he's the number one driver. Unless Ferrari were just sneaky about it and lied to everyone. So all the complaining is for show.

Leclerk is a great talent but he's only in the door, he's shown great turn of speed but I have concerns he's not managing his car effectively during a race and if he was let off the leach that he'd drive the car ragged before he made the finish line.

I don't think they should abandon Vettel just because there's a new pup. Vettel put his time in and if his contract says Ferrari are supposed to back him for the championship, then that's what should happen.
I do not know anything else than what was said publicly: Raikkonen stated that Vettel is not number 1 by contract and Leclerc stated that he is not number 2 by contract. They look like a couple of trustful guys so I would believe it.

There is a huge difference between not giving the keys of the team to a youngster, which is quite normal, and asking him 3 times in 3 races to give way to Vettel when the German is obviously not in great form.

The race was not the most exciting, but Ferrari sure made themselves look like fools. Red Bull certainly outsmarted them in their strategy, so that made the race somewhat interesting. They should have just pitted Lelcerc early and they would have at least kept Red Bull behind them. In fact they could have even executed a nice 2 stop strategy putting the mediums on at the last stint to go for fast lap and gotten the extra point.

Mercedes are just firing on all cylinders right now. They almost never make stupid mistakes anymore. It seems they have really worked out everything to a science. Last year at this time, they had some problems with their strategy, but they got on top of that by the 2nd half of the season, and that ability has carried into this year as well. I don't see Ferrari mounting much of a challenge for them, especially after they threw away a certain 1-2 finish in Bahrain.

I have a feeling the Baku will continue to favor the Mercs, but even if it doesn't, Ferrari will find a way to lose.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back