AC Formula Master @ Road America - Friday 27th Feb. 2015

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

Chris

Premium
Formula Master.jpg

"Quick and nimble open-wheelers tackle an iconic American circuit."

Haven't got the game yet? Buy Assetto Corsa directly from the RD Store for only 34,99 Euro

Notes:

• If you can't book in time make sure to sign out before 19:30 AEDT (08:30 GMT).
  • Password is sent via TeamSpeak.
  • Minimum number of sign ups required for event to go ahead: 8
  • TC & ABS: OFF | Stability Control: OFF | Damage: 100%

Cars: CTDP 2009 Formula Master (DOWNLOAD)
Track: Road America (DOWNLOAD)

Booking: 20:30 AEDT (30 mins)
Practice: 21:00 AEDT (30 mins)
Qualifying: 21:30 AEDT (15 mins)
Race: 21:45 AEDT (20 laps)

Racing Club Rules: click here
Teamspeak Password:click here
Teamspeak Installation Guide: click here

Our racing clubs are first and foremost meant for gaining online experience so please help other drivers out when they have questions about the event, the car, the track, the setup or a combination. This is not a league race, it's not about who wins, it's for some fun.

Priority access
In case of a large amount of sign-ups premium members are given priority access to enter this event.

Entry List:

1. Chris Stacey
  2. Ashley Cowan
  3. Jack Trooper
  4. Michael McIver (evo2rs)
  5. Tony Binelli (Sniper)
  6. Sun Levi (maybe)
  7. Justin Talent
  8. Matt Bailey
  9. Josh Noack (maybe)
  10. Chris Innes

Last edited:
Sign me in for this one, should be able to make it.

Car seems like a good bit of fun to drive, but something feels wonky with the FFB. I'm getting so much weight in the middle axis of the wheel that it clips everything out, but when I'm turning anywhere past 90 degrees in either direction the feedback dies completely and the wheel becomes very light and generally bad feeling. It's as if this car has it's FFB in reverse compared to everything else I've ever driven in AC. :p

Maybe it's a G27 thing or something?

@Justin do you have the version 1.1?

Yeah I do.

OK so it turns out the profiler hadn't loaded when I last started up my PC for some reason, which explains some of the odd feeling. :p

The weightlessness effect is still happening though. It's as if it's trying to simulate a loss of traction past 90 degrees of lock, when in fact the car is still gripping OK. When doing slight turns the car feels great, but any chicane or hairpin feels pretty terrible.

The only time I can feel a similar sort of thing in the Formula Abarth is when I've lost control and spun the car haha. The wheel gives the correct feedback of when that car is losing traction. This car has that same feeling at any point past 90 degree lock no matter what the car is actually doing.

Oh and this car seems to have TC and ABS on by factory default? That's an error I'm guessing?

Last edited:
@Justin
The FFB going dead is an issue with the steering lock physics thinking that you've gone past the angle of slip.

Hopefully it'll be improved a bit with the next patch, but even so, it's still drivable, just takes some setup work and some getting used :D

@Justin
The FFB going dead is an issue with the steering lock physics thinking that you've gone past the angle of slip.

Hopefully it'll be improved a bit with the next patch, but even so, it's still drivable, just takes some setup work and some getting used :D

Hmm, it seems that way. I've always run quite low for slip effects in my FFB settings, as Kunos suggested in their own recommended G27 settings that I use with a few minimal changes. CTDP must be expecting people to run higher effects or something.

I can feel the slip angle of other cars quite easily, it just seems more gradual and nicer with the Kunos cars as opposed to most mod cars. The FF1 has a similar problem, but it exhibits it at a much further angle than this car and isn't anywhere near as sudden.

Seeing as I wasn't busy until tomorrow afternoon, I've done a bit of a late night crash course in editing car files for modded cars, seeing as this car still has an open data section. Learning from the files from Kunos' own Formula K open physics car included in the AC SDK folder, I found a parameter in the car.ini file which made a difference to this issue.

The parameter is under the controls section and is known weirdly enough as "STEERING_ASSIST", which apparently is a speed sensitive steering assist. The parameter is set to 0.00 on this car and many other mod cars that still have open physics. The Formula K has this figure set to 0.6 by default instead, which could also be the figure it is set to in the Formula Abarth as the K is based off the Abarth physics by default. Using a bit of maths, I calculated down to a figure of 0.54 for the Formula Master based on it's lower steering range and ratio compared to the FA.

Using this figure now surprisingly actually makes the problem much less of an issue. You still feel the odd early slip effect, but it hides it a bit more effectively and makes the car a bit nicer to drive.

I hope this isn't an added assist that makes the car easier to drive, but from my initial drive it seemed to handle exactly the same, just without this annoying issue. And if the Abarth has this setting as well then surely it can't be a huge impact.

There must be somewhere else in the files that could be modified to fix this issue without changing the option that I did, as other cars with the option set to 0 drive just fine, but I'll leave that to CTDP to figure out in the next update. :)

I'm guessing I'd be kicked from the server for a checksum mismatch for this event if I kept the change though, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to participate. Will have to wait and see.

I can now see why this car is getting a lot of praise now. :D Great fun to drive with the "factory" assists on or both turned off via the keyboard shortcut override.

although I think the car needs polish (hand animations are off compared to wheel rotation, these things bug me) sign me up! I'll just disable the drivers arms so I don't go insane.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.2%