Stock Car Extreme Setups

This is meant for a 60 minute race with one pitstop, but can easily be altered for another race length. Tried to make it as neutral as possible while making softs last for about 40 laps. You can add some front ARB for less oversteer on exit, but it will hurt you in the last corner.

Edit: This setup is based on the baseline setup Austin Ogonoski posted on his website, so credit to him.

Attachments

• Gabriel-Sterr-SV8-Kansai-East.svm
    3.5 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
This is again meant for a 60 minute race with two stints on softs. The tyres will last easily, but you will have to deal with a bit of degradation.

Compared to my Kansai East setup I am less pleased with this one because I it has some mid corner understeer that I couldn't eliminate without compromising traction. Feel free to tinker if you are so inclined. Overall I still feel this is a balanced, driveable setup that can net you good results in the midfield of an online race. It responds well to a bit of weight shifting technique and trail braking in T1 and that left before the S in the depression in the last sector.

Have fun!
P.S.: This setup is also based on the baseline setup Austin Ogonoski posted on his website, so credit to him.

Attachments

• Gabriel-Sterr-SV8-Kansai-East.svm
    3.5 KB · Views: 419
Totally new to these setups so ignore my stupidity. Can I copy his setup into a different circuit to use as a starting point?
I ask as I copied it into userdata\myname\settings\daytona but when I select the circuit and go to setup the car, the file isn't there to load. If I create my own setup and save it, it appears in the same folder so am guessing I have the right folder.
I right in thinking that the setup files are unique to a track?...thanks

As I remember, you need to copy and paste first 4 or 5 lines from your saved setup (like a head of document, you will see) to the file you downloaded, replace it and then it will show there, because new builds have been released since I˙ve made this setup. Setup file you can opet with notepad. (sorry, I am not on PC where I have SCE)

Hi...think I solved it. The file I downloaded had some \\ missing from the start of lines, so maybe that's why it wouldn't work even after copying the header info over from another file. In the end I just edited my "good" file to match your settings which seems to work...thx

Gotta agree with Peevee. Its definitely an more consistent set up to drive as well as being quite a bit better on the front end grip solving the understeer issues I was consistently having as well as the softer suspension makes riding curbs way easier to manage at race pace. The turn 3/4 chicane at Montreal modern especially has become much easier to ride the curbs on.

Great set up. With the changes made to the game since it was posted however you need to change the first line of the set up file to make the game recognize it.

EDIT. also looking at some telemetry it appears that the ride height bottoms out periodically so that's something to tweak.

Last edited:
Hey guys cheers for the kind words,
I've not been sim racing for a long time ,
This setup was on a old build but glad to hear it's still being used as a base setup by some,

With AM due for release soon I hope to be getting back into a bit of hot lapping so will see if I can make some better setups and get them posted

Cheers

Yea, its not perfect. The set up has some issues because duh these cars are so complicated to balance but it makes it a lot easier to deal with. In general I think the default set up is very stiff in the rear and that makes a place like say Spielberg Turn 2 literally limited in how fast you can go through there, not just in terms of talent limits. This set up makes that situation easy in comparison but the flaws are that the rear is so soft that the front inside tire often is out of contact with the ground in tight turns and the front seems to bottom out near the end of fast straights.

All in all though its a good start. Look forward to seeing if you can add on to it.

So I was toying around with @F1__Dave 's Bahrain setup because I'd finally got something that would let me not spin out constantly. I discovered of course that it was pretty unsuitable to a track like Spielberg so I went about toying with it.

Changes from default made:
Softened the rear by 10N/mm (min)
Stiffened the rear third spring by 20N/mm
Reduced front and rear ride heights by 0.8cm (Front 2.0cm/Rear 6.0cm)
Reduced front Slow Bump by 2.
Brake pressure 100%.

Comments

In the end all I really kept from Dave's setup was the reduced ride height (subtracted 0.8 cm from Front and Rear) and the softened rear corner springs. I stiffened the rear third spring twice as much as I softened the rear (per the FReiza set up guide suggestion, no idea if this is as valid for this car) to compensate for the added heave on the rear. Aero the same as default. Diff same as default.

This seemed to significantly reduce the rear's tendency to spin out in Spielberg Turn 2 as well as making the car generally more mechanically grippy when putting the power down. It still seems to possess that snappy turn in that the default set up has that was lacking in Dave's changes. I also experimented with dropping some of the front Slow Bump and I sensed it may have helped with front grip but I have no idea because I'm a total dilettante at this stuff. Could be placebo due to wild swings in talent. :p This is just me fooling around.

It still bottoms out at the end of long straights and who knows what cardinal rules of F1 car set up are violated here. Maybe someone else has ideas on where to take this set up (or whether to scrap it). With these changes I've done a 1:08.750 (nine 1/1000ths faster than 2014 pole) with plenty more time on the table.

Attachments

• FExtreme Spielberg GP.svm
    3.6 KB · Views: 486
Try 4 to 5 clicks more on rear wing than on front wing....Something like 30 front wing, 35 rear wing... or even 16 front wing, 20 rear wing....with the Extremes I always use the wings like that, and it feels most balanced. Give it a try and let me know.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%