Formula E: Scott Speed to drive for Andretti at Miami

American ex-F1 driver Scott Speed will race for Andretti Autosport in Formula E’s fifth round at Miami on March 14th, replacing Marco Andretti in what is becoming a much-rotated seat alongside Jean-Eric Vergne.

The 32 year-old has mostly been racing in NASCAR since he and Toro Rosso unceremoniously split mid-season back in 2007, but he only took part in two Lamborghini Super Trofeo races last year, so the move is a return of sorts to an international level. Andretti's #28 car has been held by Charles Pic, Matty Brabham and then Marco Andretti at the last race in Argentina in January. Speed has no prior race experience with the Spark-Renault Formula E spec car, but lack of experience didn’t stop Vergne from challenging immediately on his debut in Uruguay. In fact one of the more refreshing things about this series’ opening year is the more relaxed attitude towards driver lineups, that respected drivers can come in from other commitments and race in a world championship for a weekend. And Speed did briefly test the car with Andretti Autosport last summer at Donington Park, filling in for (again) Marco Andretti when needed, going fourth fastest on his second day.

Can he make the same immediate impression that Vergne did? We’ll find out as Formula E’s second two-month break ends with the Miami ePrix in less than two weeks. Above you can see a sim of the track along Biscayne Bay, running near to and around the prominent AmericanAirlines Arena.

This is precisely why I love this series. Equal cars, creative approach, and drivers/owners that are truly international.

P.S. - The FIA sure is fast about taking down those videos. Maybe if as much effort was put into fixing F1, we'd have a real winner.

I think Formula E could go down in history as one of the best race series' ever.

I just hope it doesn't get all political like F1. We also need Bernie to stay a long way away from it too. Just keep the series as it is. By that I mean that if there's any engine/battery developments, ALL teams would get the benefit and not just the reigning champions! Then you see real progression in racing IMHO.

@Robert Waddell I think the uploader's blocked embedding, a shame but try this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=elv8h_2AoUM

@Dan Allen Formula E would need to get rid of FanBoost before I could call it one of the best series, but my favourite thing about it is getting lots of new tracks, most of them providing better racing than I thought they would, which to be fair might also be down to the equal spec-series formula and the cars having very little grip.

@Robert Waddell I think the uploader's blocked embedding, a shame but try this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=elv8h_2AoUM

@Dan Allen Formula E would need to get rid of FanBoost before I could call it one of the best series, but my favourite thing about it is getting lots of new tracks, most of them providing better racing than I thought they would, which to be fair might also be down to the equal spec-series formula and the cars having very little grip.

Good point about fan boost. Gimmicky but not a deal breaker. They have been reading too much from NASCAR's playbook, though...true.

Really? You'd get rid of fanboost? I like that. As a spectator, it makes me feel involved in the sport. I think it's a neat little idea. The only thing is they need to reinforce the wishbones... I think Buemi and Chandhok (is that his name, I forgot. Probably wasn't him anyway), snapped their suspensions at Buenos Aires. I felt for poor Sebastien, you could hear the disdain in his voice :cry:

I know Foza5 is not a SIM, but these cars are a blast to drive in there. You get an idea of what they can and can't do. No real worries about the back end breaking loose, but I'm sure they could torque it down if needed. Maybe something to think about for the future. But maybe not...since the power band is soooo smooth. So really you just have to concentrate on your lines, your marks, your strategy, and your qualifying.

Really? You'd get rid of fanboost? I like that. As a spectator, it makes me feel involved in the sport. I think it's a neat little idea. The only thing is they need to reinforce the wishbones... I think Buemi and Chandhok (is that his name, I forgot. Probably wasn't him anyway), snapped their suspensions at Buenos Aires. I felt for poor Sebastien, you could hear the disdain in his voice :cry:

Agree with you about beefing up the cars. They took a beating at some of the road courses, but that's the beauty of the series...they go there.

I think anything the driver doesn't earn or isn't applied evenly across the board (like the double points in F1) should not be in a series. NASCAR has practically become remote controlled.

@Dan Allen My views on FanBoost are pretty much summed up by all of Keith Collantine's posts in this F1Fanatic thread: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/formula-e/forum/topic/formula-e-launches-fanboost-will-you-vote/ If you like it, that's fine, but I'd rather just play a racing game if I want more involvement in motorsport (actually being a driver probably isn't going to happen ;))

Well, all I can say is I put my vote in for Senna ;)

What's stopping you being a driver? It's difficult, but it's not impossible like you may think it is...

...NASCAR has practically become remote controlled.

*Warning: Controversial Opinion*

Well, I wouldn't even call NASCAR racing anyway.

"OK, so we're coming across the start/finish line, then we take a left, than another left, then a long straight, then another left, one more left and then we're back over the start line. Repeat hundreds of times."

I like my tracks to have a few right hand corners too ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 162 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 158 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 119 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.2%