Formula E | Marrakesh E-Prix Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the FIA Formula E Marrakesh E-Prix.

Round five of the 2019/20 FIA Formula E Championship takes place this weekend on the unforgiving streets of Marrakesh. With four different winners from four events, the field are likely to be as closely packed as ever come race day, making the choice of predicting a winner almost impossible to decide.

Can the big guns kick start their season, or will it be another surprise driver to cross the finish line first come the chequered flag?

Let us know your thoughts below.

Formula E - Marrakesh E-Prix Discussion Thread 2.jpg
Formula E - Marrakesh E-Prix Discussion Thread 1.jpg

It's hard to say what's holding this league back. The drivers are talented, the racing is close, the cars are fast, and the venues are beautiful, but not many people I speak to follow Formula E with any regularity. It can't just be the vehicle sounds and the absence of petrol, can it?

In my opinion the tracks aren't great, even after 45 minutes of racing today I was still confusing different corners. Formula E needs more tracks like Mexico (the best one).

The cars are fast in qualy mode but painfully slow to watch in the race (lots of lift and coast).

It certainly has potential to grow more, but in general motorsports are declining and it will be very hard to go against that trend. The younger generation has a very low interest in cars.

I have watched a few races and sometimes the racing is good, but very often it is like bumper cars. Also things like ‘fan boost’ and ‘attack mode’ I don’t like. I general I think the cars also lack grip and slide all over the place on these street circuits. I started watching today’s race, and suddenly Nyck, who was running 3rd, got a penalty for some technical infringement. Race for him was immediately over.... and for me as well. At least in F1 you can most of the time see yourself why someone got a penalty (if you agree to it, is another topic...).

Personally I think 45 mins is perfect attention span for ever younger online community

In F1 you get more then 45 mins of commentary that has nothing to do with the actual race because they have nothing else to talk about where in FE it is all race non stop to finish, Dario never shuts up :)

Won't be my lifetime but FE will get to proper race circuits and take records

So If you only a teen now you should watch it, so you can tell your grand kids of a time when poppy saw ICE beat EV :roflmao:

I think the racing is most of the time quite interesting, that's why i usually watch every FE Race, but I admit it took me a while to get used to the Sound of these things.
I dislike "Fanboost" and "Attack Mode" though, Fanboost is just unfair in my opinion and Attack Mode seems just a little bit to artificial.
The thing that annoys me the most is, as pcraenme said, the penaltys that come out of nowhere most of the time, people very often get a drive through or even a DSQ for some technical infringement that is really hard to understand for a simple viewer like me.

It's hard to say what's holding this league back. The drivers are talented, the racing is close, the cars are fast, and the venues are beautiful, but not many people I speak to follow Formula E with any regularity. It can't just be the vehicle sounds and the absence of petrol, can it?
Why not?
I have no interest in hearing vaccuum cleaners with artificial rulings going around stupid tracks.

I'm getting more and more nausea from this fable of "electrical" future of car engineering. Tons of money went into it, and it's clear it isn't the future.

I enjoyed the race. It was great to see some drivers come through the pack and the end was pretty tense as they all tried to conserve those last vital bits of energy.

For a series still in its relative infancy I think they have done a good job with it. The results are unpredictable, the racing is close and if they must insist on using somewhat gimmicky boosts to assist overtaking I prefer attack mode over DRS any day.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 367 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 246 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%