Formula E: Hughes Appointed NextEV Team Principal

Hughes NextEV.jpg
Acting NextEV Team Principal Gerry Hughes has been given the role on a permanent basis.

Hughes joined the team as Chief Race Engineer back at the end of 2015, after a long career in Formula 1, Indy Car, and Touring Cars, during which he’d worked as an engineer with Caterham, Cosworth, LOLA, Super Aguri, Red Bull, Jordan, and Jaguar.

He was appointed Acting Team Principal after the death of Dr Martin Leach. Dr Leach was one of NextEV’s founding members and Co-President of the company. He passed away in November last year due to illness.

Hughes will also take a new position as Head of Performance Programme for NIO, which sees him assume responsibilities on the NIO supercar programme.

“Taking on the role of project lead for both the Formula E team and EP9 supercar programmes will include new challenges for me, but they are challenges that my team and I relish,” he said. “I must thank everyone at NIO for their support and confidence in me during this transitional period. I am extremely honoured that William Li and Lihong Qin have given me this opportunity and I will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that both programmes are a success going forward.”

For more Formula E news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula E sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

What do you think of the appointment? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back