Formula E 'Gen2' Teased for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E Gen2.jpg

As part of the end of year best wishes, Studio 397 have dropped yet another hint that the brand new 2019 spec Formula E 'Gen2' car will be arriving in the sim soon.

Having started a relationship with the rapidly expanding FIA Formula E category as part of the $1m Vegas eSport event back in 2016, the ties between Studio 397 and the all electric single seater championship grew yet stronger in 2017 with the first officially licenced Formula E content coming to the popular rFactor 2 racing simulation.

At the time the 'Energize Formula E DLC' contained the original FE car and Hong Kong ePrix location, complete with full liveries of the 2017/18 Formula E championship field, however since then the category have spent much time and effort refining the design of the top tier electric championship car - releasing a potentially much improved 'Gen2' model in time for the current season that began December 15th at the Riyadh Street Circuit in Saudi Arabia.

It appears from a couple of sneak preview images released by Studio 397 in recent times that the new car will indeed be heading to rFactor 2 this year, adding yet another officially licenced category to the simulation, and again offering up a very different driving experience for sim racers to enjoy.

No official word of what the pack will contain, or when it will be made available has been revealed by Studio 397, but judging by the fact the developers are happy to show off the odd preview shot, it is probably fair to say we won't have to wait too long until we have the chance to get our hands on the cars for ourselves.

rF2 Formula E Gen2 2.jpg

If you missed it first time around, check out the Energize Formula E DLC Interview 'n' Drive we did with Studio 397's Marcel Offermans prior to the original pack release:

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Quite interesting to see if they will introduce ‘attack mode’ as well. And I was a bit disappointed last year, when no more new tracks were released after the initial release. There are some e-prix mod tracks in the steam workshop, but I would have liked a few official tracks.

I don't mind the Formula E cars but just releasing the first generation plus the Hong Kong track isn't enough. This again appears to be an official release which is great and I hope there might be some decently priced official tracks and when the new UX comes the hybrid controls and even 'attack mode'. Anything is better than this though I guess... https://t.co/AqGvuO2Qtn?amp=1 poor old new Formula E needs ALL the help it can get :whistling:

Last edited:
Mmm I have many complains in general about rfactor2 but their current formula E DLC has received many help from modders who have already created many official tracks. It was quiet unexpected and they did the job really fast. It is how rfactor2, conceptualized initially by ISI, works at its best. So, if you like these cars, you have plenty of content to enjoy and you will with this new formula E.

I probably won't buy this DLC as I haven't been using the first one, being absolutely incompetent with these cars. But if I had taken the time to understand them, I would consider this new car a nice addition. The championship is interesting for its unique tracks located in the heart of big cities all over the world and you already have many of them in rfactor2.

This is exactly what I like in rfactor2 : the inclusion of a category, well done thznks to s397, and a modding community bringing some tracks to make the full experience ready without having to pay for a costly new title with all the package.

Last edited:
I'll buy them for sure as I bought the Formula-E package but, as many others I have a minor complain for the missing circuits. I have downloaded the available circuits and I like them, but the difference in quality is substantial.
Anyway, I am looking forward the new cars :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing