Formula E: Berlin ePrix layout revealed

The-circuit-layout-for-the-2015-DHL-Formula-E-Berlin-ePrix.jpg

The layout for Berlin’s upcoming ePrix has finally been revealed, with cars replacing planes on the “Apron” section of the city’s now defunct Tempelhof airport for Formula E’s eighth round of this season.

The planned 2.47km, 17-turn track was shown at a press conference hosted by Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag and John Pearson from DHL, already logistics partner to the series, announcing their title sponsorship of the upcoming race in May. Organization of the race will be aided by Hans Jörg Fischer, who is also working as a track consultant for the recently-added Moscow ePrix in June.

Berlin’s airport circuit, while twisty, at least looks different from some of the more chicane-addled destinations elsewhere on the Formula E calendar, not least running alongside and briefly under the old departure gates rather than on public roads, but the last section of 90-degree corners could be pretty scrappy. German Venturi driver Nick Heidfeld also pointed out the Berlin track’s uniqueness: “It’s going to be very special racing in front of my home crowd and I’m really looking forward to it. It will be the first time for me racing on somewhere like this so should have its own special atmosphere.”

Tickets are now on sale for the Berlin ePrix, currently scheduled to take place on May 23rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nox
Hairpin at turn 1 will likely mean lap 1 collisions, and like the article says that last section T12 - T17 looks a bit messy, but the rest looks like it might be entertaining. I'm looking forward to it, and the change from the usual street circuits.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 428 39.7%