Formula E "Attack Mode"!

Next decade the cars are going to get faster as they do the courses will open up and present cleaner overtaking

FE and climate skeptics.......... same club :D
they have should be faster this year according to Agag when he said it during first year of FE life. What happened? Hey let's put some limitations on engines, powertrain, postpone the new batteries... that's really sad... i hoped they could became a serious motorsport series, but i'll remain a bad electric showcase...

At least they are doing something interesting with the series

They can't innovate anymore because they've banned every real innovation that is noteworthy. There is nowhere else to go.
you don't say it (cit.)
Even FE for this year has put some limitations on engines and powertrains.

This game is just a joke... right?
a late april fool one

The truth is FE has always been boring and they inject artificial gimmicks to try and make it interesting - instead of moving the series to actual tracks where drivers can race.
Consider that they should be run this year at Pau and Montecarlo on all their lenght. Agag denies it. Seriously, they alwasy run at Donnington as test track, why don't race on those annuced tracks?

So instead of using your trained skills to drive as fast as possible you intentionaly drive a slower line and be able to be faster then the most skilled driver.
even in the most arcade racing games (with all possible powerups) driving on the right lane is essential to win and set the best time. I was thinking about the recent Horizon Chase Turbo: if you want win and complete each track catching all bonus, you need to drive on the right racing lane, no excuses or you'll lose...

Evidently, somewhere, somehow, we did something wrong.
I think that we really should not be surprised.
These changes come from the last decades of reality mixed with videogames, and tv, and movies. The (younger?) ruling classes of FIA absorbed these influences and the younger crowds of motorsport consider them legit and funny.

I'm skeptical.

Fanboost proved to be rather inconsequential over these last few seasons, and if there's anything that those few seasons of F-E have proven it's that it doesn't *need* gimmicks like this to make the on-track action exciting to watch.

I'm okay with push-to-pass systems. If anything, it makes a lot of sense in Formula E: The entire race is already about balancing speed with energy consumption, and a push-to-pass system introduces more trade-offs. And I suppose the letting cars run a wider line to get their speed boost is a good way to build anticipation in the crowd, but it just feels convoluted and arbitrary.

I'd appreciate this more if it replaced Fanboost alltogether.

Yes you could also make it a tactical issue like you say. Let them use as much push-to-pass as they want but obviously they have to watch they don't use too much, so the driver and team need to work together to make sure they don't run the car out of electrical energy.

I'll be tuning into the first few races to see what they are like, worth another shot with all the changes and on the whole the races I saw did have good action in I will admit.

I wish they were on slicks though, I know it's the road car link, and maybe saves on costs but they would just look better in my view.

Well it's better then fan boost, at least every driver will be able to use it.

If it gives the fastest lap time won't every car use it making it the 'ideal line' and kind of pointless in the end.

I can see the day I stop watching current motorsports getting closer. When this day comes, I'll be glad that I've spent money buying hard drives to store old races.

It is like a throwback to 60's when F1 changes really affected your average road car
ie disc brakes, radial ply tyres etc etc

That would be sports prototypes ( which were road legal for many years ) - they have far more relevance to road cars as tech demos than short-duration openwheelers do. Jaguar put disk brakes on their Le Mans cars in the 50s, etc etc. The future in endurance racing is looking more like hydrogen, not trying to LARP console racers.

what a load of crap

anyone miss the days when drivers were just given cars and told to race?

thank god the blancpain series exists

Are these “activation points” going to be actual physical sensors embedded in the circuits or are they virtual things that are somehow measured/activated? More specifically, I’m wondering how precisely these activation points are implemented.

If you think about it, this system can somehow tell where a car is on the track. If you can implement these activation points with a reasonable degree of accuracy, then could they implement two or more of them in a “line” to police track limits in F1 or other series?

They can't even go 2 turns without crashing into eachother (not an insult on the drivers, it's just the way the tracks are set up). What makes the FIA think adding a new "jump outside the line, get power, and swipe in front for a pass" will result in anything other than complete chaos?

Everyone who thinks it takes no skill to go off the racing line to hit a bonus point and still be competitive under racing conditions is just talking out of the ass!
This actually takes some balls to do guys.
But hey, we are in one of the most conservative sports here, so no wonder new approaches are being flamed in advance...

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years