Alright when was that again.....?

Audi removed the defeat device from the exhaust and replaced it with a deceit device in the driver's seat.

I'm impressed they included the ability to issue fines for cheating in the rules, I assume this would be under the real Formula E regulations though? Typical Type A personality with a win at any cost mentality, his statement "never meant with any bad intention" shows Abt doesn't understand the meaning of cheating. A10k fine clearly wasn't enough.

I've often wondered how esports prevents this type of cheating (along with other stuff like messing with the game files, bots driving etc). I'd also be intrigued to know how others caught him and called him out.

10k fine wasnt enough? really? its a joke. If i were him id just point blank refuse to pay it. They're professional sports people and if they dont want to participate then they shouldnt have to. Its not what they signed up for originally when going racing. This situation only arises when they are forced into doing it when they've probably already expressed the fact they dont want to or have no interest in taking part.

Also all these fines set a precedent for sim racing in general. Joining a league in the future? then id start thinking about whether you're gonna do something untoward otherwise you will be landing yourselves fines because the league organisers will see it as "if its fine for these series to fine people in sim racing then its fine for us to do the same"

10k fine wasnt enough? really? its a joke. If i were him id just point blank refuse to pay it. They're professional sports people and if they dont want to participate then they shouldnt have to. Its not what they signed up for originally when going racing. This situation only arises when they are forced into doing it when they've probably already expressed the fact they dont want to or have no interest in taking part.

It's not what the "signed up for" no. But it is the sole way they have at the moment to represent the team, sponsors and get their name out. Which basically is what pays the bills when they go racing. Maybe not everything is as fun as they would like, but that's a part of their job. Just like PR-work.

Also all these fines set a precedent for sim racing in general. Joining a league in the future? then id start thinking about whether you're gonna do something untoward otherwise you will be landing yourselves fines because the league organisers will see it as "if its fine for these series to fine people in sim racing then its fine for us to do the same"

If you join a sim racing series that have so much companies, money and everything involved, then you shouldn't be surprised to see things like that in the sign up rules.

Daniel Abt is generally not a very likeable person. I just don't like racing drivers who behave like wannabe influencers. Just take at look at his YouTube or Instagram channel, this guy really puts Nico Rosberg's "IS X'S CAREER OVER?" into perspective. Also, in my opinion his driving abilities get really overrated. It was ok that he got the seat next to Lucas Di Grassi when his family's team entered Formula E as a privateer team but now he is full-pledged works driver in Audi's official factory team. In the meantime, Robin Frijns, another Audi works driver whom I consider to be much more talented, has to be content with a place at Virgin, who drive with Audi engines.

That's the kind of news a series like Formula E can ill afford.

Sure, it doesn't sound like much. But for me it feels he hired the guy because he was sick of loosing and that speaks volumes about his character if you'd ask me. I don't know if the participation is mandatory for drivers, if not he should have just stayed out.

In any case, maybe now he knows that sim rAacing isn't just gaming.

Can you provide a reference to where he said he didn't want to compete in the esports series for the real series he participates in? Seems to be plenty of real race drivers past and present are enjoying the racing even the likes of Mario Andretti last night who has no need to prove anything or any contractual requirement to take part.

You surmise Abt thought the best way to 'not take part' was to ask a sim racer to take his place in a blatant act of cheating, that is some leap. I mean he could just have pulled the internet cable, couldn't he? Only his own reputation would have been at stake then. Looks more like he just wanted to win at any cost. The sim racer also needs a wake-up call about integrity too.

Hopefully, Audi will see the brand damage being done here and sack him but being VAG group they'll probably promote him the head of ethics. He seems perfectly qualified as either didn't read his contract or the rules or just ignored them anyway!

Can you provide a reference to where he said he didn't want to compete in the esports series for the real series he participates in? Seems to be plenty of real race drivers past and present are enjoying the racing even the likes of Mario Andretti last night who has no need to prove anything or any contractual requirement to take part.

You surmise Abt thought the best way to 'not take part' was to ask a sim racer to take his place in a blatant act of cheating, that is some leap. I mean he could just have pulled the internet cable, couldn't he? Only his own reputation would have been at stake then. Looks more like he just wanted to win at any cost. The sim racer also needs a wake-up call about integrity too.

Hopefully, Audi will see the brand damage being done here and sack him but being VAG group they'll probably promote him the head of ethics. He seems perfectly qualified as either didn't read his contract or the rules or just ignored them anyway!

Hmm yes they are going to sack an Abt arent they. Part of the famous family of probably the biggest VAG tuner in europe :roflmao: .

I'm going to keep my comments to a minimum because I don't want to be disrespectful to esports fans/participants, but this whole fiasco strikes me as more than a little pathetic on multiple levels.

I love sim racing and it's been, overall, great to have the extra eyeballs on our hobby but there have been some real "cue the circus music" situations, too. The NASCAR guy dropping the n-word for reasons I'm not sure he even understands, people rage quitting, goofy physics on display, and now this dork hires a ringer. Again, I think all the publicity will prove to be a net positive for the hobby we all love, but at the same time I am starting to feel like we can't get back to real racing a moment too soon!

Gross. Wouldn't care at all if he was running 10 laps down, plenty of great drivers are struggling with virtual racing. But now we know he's a cheater. I don't care if you're cheating in rf2, modern warfare, or checkers, a cheater us a cheater. Now the world knows you cheat.

Oh no hes the worst person in the world........quite funny because this fine and them throwing it into the spotlight is just their way of making sure sim racing remains a joke to the world. :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'd like to take this opportunity to offer my services as a Sim Racer Replacement for any Real Life Driver not wanting to take part in an online event, i cannot guarantee I'll win but for a small fee (£500) I'll pretend to be you and promise to do my best.

Money transferred up front to my 'Nigerian Prince' bank account, on receipt of the money I shall email you... probably...

quite funny because this fine and them throwing it into the spotlight is just their way of making sure sim racing remains a joke to the world. :roflmao: :roflmao:

You certainly are an amusing poster. That seems an odd opinion to express here on a racing game site! There I was thinking the big car brands licenced racing games because they create a connection to them that leads to sales in future...I had no idea they did it to show it's all a joke and employed drivers specifically to cheat to make the point.

As for ABT and tuning, do you see a big future for that after 2022 when the EU introduce speed limiters and black boxes to all new cars? ;)

You certainly are an amusing poster. That seems an odd opinion to express here on a racing game site! There I was thinking the big car brands licenced racing games because they create a connection to them that leads to sales in future...I had no idea they did it to show it's all a joke and employed drivers specifically to cheat to make the point.

As for ABT and tuning, do you see a big future for that after 2022 when the EU introduce speed limiters and black boxes to all new cars? ;)

Of course there will be a market for it. Just map them out. Sorted. Bit like DPF's on a diesel car. Get rid of them because they cause more problems than they're worth and not only do you gain power but the car sounds good aswell.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back