Alright when was that again.....?

I read a book about Enzo Ferrari, He tried to convince his drivers marage was bad. Because wives push drivers to quit F1. So they can look after the children and play the family game. Something difficult as a driver jet setting all over the world. Now Ferrari have a big team and the budget cap will cause them to mouve personnel elsewhere. Like Formula e. Or IRL. So Vettel may be the lead driver in a offspring project. Something that allows him more family time.
He can also go into business inside or outside F1. He could go for the FIA precedencey. Driver management.

The bottom line he has had a very good career in F1 with wins and championships. Nothing to be ashamed of. The next generation of talent is on his heals. Leclerc, Verstapen maybe Ricciardo.

Lets face it there may be little racing or no 2020 season.

In a shock announcement, it has been confirmed that Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler Formula E driver Daniel Abt has been caught cheating during the recent Formula E Race at Home esport round.

Having been a mainstay in the real world Formula E series for several years now, as well as coming from a celebrated motorsport family, Daniel Abt has received a 10,000 euro fine and disqualification from the most recent Formula E Race at Home Challenge esport event due to a rather controversial and somewhat pointless attempt at cheating his way into the top positions of the series - by engaging a 'ringer' to take his place in the latest round of the series.

The series is designed to allow the real world Formula E drivers to continue racing in aid of the UNICEF charity while Covid-19 continues to place real motorsport on hold throughout the world. Using the Formula E content within rFactor 2, the series has so far served up some interesting racing as the entirety of the Formula E grid have adapted with surprising success to the virtual world.

Of course, the series is designed for the real drivers to take part in their virtual machines, and following disappointing results in the championship to-date, Daniel Abt decided it would be smart to have a sim racing professional (Lorenz Hoerzing) pretend to be the German driver in the latest round of the championship.

Having been called out during the race by his rival drivers, then subsequently following his "race finish" allegedly suffering from connection issues that preventing him taking the post race interview process, it has been confirmed that the German was indeed using a 'ringer' to replace him on the circuit - resulting in a 10,000 fine and disqualification from the series to date.
“I did not take it as seriously as I should have,” said Abt in a statement following the announcement of his transgressions.​

“I am especially sorry about this because I know how much work has gone into this project on the part of the Formula E organisation. I am aware that my offence has a bitter aftertaste but it was never meant with any bad intention.”

The driver who took his place in the main event, Lorenz Hoerzing, has been disqualified from all future rounds of the supporting esport professional series, with sporting misconduct cited as his offence.

What do you think of this announcement? Why do you think a professional would cheat in this way with nothing to gain for any "success"? Did Abt get away lightly with a 10,000 fine in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Abt Formula E 1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... I think it's fair for Daniel Abt as I really dislike some professionals not taking simracing seriously. The indy races had quite some bad moments.

Of course I don't know what's the story behind this but I think it's rather harsh for the simracer to get excluded from everything.
Excluded from the formula e series: definitely though.

Have to say I kinda like that people who are bad for the reputation of simracing get penalized heavily. Setting examples and hopefully make simracing better for everyone.

Having been called out during the race by his rival drivers, then subsequently following his "race finish" allegedly suffering from connection issues that preventing him taking the post race interview process, it has been confirmed that the German was indeed using a 'ringer' to replace him on the circuit - resulting in a 10,000 fine and disqualification from the series to date.
€10.000? Man they don't mess around

In my opinion is this whole story just a joke. Its only simracing and i can understand why many drivers do not take it siriously. I mean i have also fun driving sims but if you ever drove a real race it just cant stand.

Audi removed the defeat device from the exhaust and replaced it with a deceit device in the driver's seat.

I'm impressed they included the ability to issue fines for cheating in the rules, I assume this would be under the real Formula E regulations though? Typical Type A personality with a win at any cost mentality, his statement "never meant with any bad intention" shows Abt doesn't understand the meaning of cheating. A10k fine clearly wasn't enough.

I've often wondered how esports prevents this type of cheating (along with other stuff like messing with the game files, bots driving etc). I'd also be intrigued to know how others caught him and called him out.

In my opinion is this whole story just a joke. Its only simracing and i can understand why many drivers do not take it siriously. I mean i have also fun driving sims but if you ever drove a real race it just cant stand.

The question is, if he didn't take it seriously, why even bother pulling in a simracer to race under his name to get a good result?

I think it is more about having respect for the whole system, Formula E needs this to keep interest going until they can race again for real. A certain amount of respect is thus needed for the current Sim racing.
lol! how did they catch him?
Several of the drivers seemed to know, they commented on not knowing if it was him in the post race chats.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%