Resource icon

Skins Formula Classic 1988 Skins, Performance, Reliability AMS 3.051

Login or Register an account to download this content
Haha, not really talent, just too stubborn to know when to give in. I seem to spend more time searching for the perfect offline settings for AI & testing my changes than actually racing.

Just a quick update: I will upload a fix for the dash soon, but I am still having trouble with the old analogue dashboard, so it may be that they will no longer be included :( (but I haven't given up on that yet).

However, more important, some good news - the reason for the delay in the update is I have been searching through old rF1 hdv files, trying to find a better way to improve the performance variations & testing other settings, and I have made a marked improvement in the overtaking by leaders on slower cars. I'm currently testing for negative effects on various circuits, race sessions & aggression settings.

So stand by for a hopefully improved version soon. :)

Last edited:
I backup the previous Fclassic MAS file and the cockpitinfo INI file (actually i'm not with my game PC and i dont remember the exact name, but i speak about the only two files in F-Classic folder that are updated with the 0.93 version of AMS, it's simple to verify ;)).
I put it back in the folder, with different names and i modify some lines in the files of the teams with analogue dash, to point the two old files.... So actually i have new digital dash for the "digital teams" and old analogue dash (also with working digital display on top) for the "analogue teams".
Unfortunately, without the old version of that two files, the digital display on top of the analogue dash doesn't work correctly (sometimes i see only speed and gear on the left side of the display with the new font, sometimes i see nothing... but i dont understand why i see one or other, seems ramdomly...)

Cheers Ema!!! I had already done exactly that to get it working, but of course I would not pack the old files in to my upload without permission from Renato so I have been trying to find a way to get it working without adding the previous SCE files. But there are at least 3 old files that are no longer in the new MAS, so it doesn't look possible.

I also had the same LCD problem as you (lap and position missing), looks like we have gone through exactly the same process! But it is working stable now.

Maybe I will include the amended ini files with instructions, and anyone who has the old SCE files can copy them in if they want to add the analogue dash themselves :)

Did you have always speed and gear, in the LCD?
I have it sometimes, and sometimes nothing.... and i don't uderstand why....
If we have stable, at least, gear and speed with new font, i think i'ts a good compromise (i dont like too much the old font of that LCD, even if i have more info in that)

However, more important, some good news ... a marked improvement in the overtaking by leaders on slower cars...

.... So actually i have new digital dash for the "digital teams" and old analogue dash (also with working digital display on top) for the "analogue teams"...

I wake up to see this thread full of so much great stuff :)!

Awesome news about the overtaking - that will make a massive difference if you can get it sorted. Currently it's frustrating to watch Prost sit behind Tarquini for lap after lap until a blessed pit stop allows him past .

I saved an 0.8.71b install, and of course I have the GSCE files, so I'll dig in the mas files and see about restoring theses dials back to their original analogue beauty.

Thanks to you both. :thumbsup:

Oh and ...
"I seem to spend more time searching for the perfect offline settings for AI & testing my changes than actually racing....

... sounds sadly similar to most of my years of sim racing. :D

Here's a link to a fix for the new digital LED dashboards. (I'll put in in a full update in the near future).
Note - this is NOT a mod to get the analogue dash working, that is not looking as straightforward as I first thought, hopefully that will be included in future, but I'm working on some other bits first).

Just copy all the veh files into their relevant folders and the cars will have the new updated Reiza dashes.

https://www.mediafire.com/?sfu98l8s0dppswz

I got the analogue dash fully working again. But I had to copy the old mas file, cockpit_info file and gen files into the folder with new names.

When I tried to extract only the needed files and edit the ini files appropriately, I ended up with just the speed and gear working, plus it messed up one part of the digital displays for some reason.

Haha Don't look over your shoulder -
I thought I had it all working, but then I pressed the 'look back' button and noticed the whole rear body of the car was missing! lol.
So I fixed that, and then saw that all the rear lights were big red squares instead of nice glowing red bulbs. I eventually ended up with all sorts of loose files in the folder as well as the entire mas file from SCE. Eventually it was working, but the AI cars still had slightly strange LED dashes (I suppose that doesn't matter), and the rear lights were slightly dimmer than they should be (also not too important).
So I had a load of trouble with it, but I'm concentrating on other bits at the moment so I have put it to one side for now, & I will go back to it and try again later.

OK, if anyone wants to give this a try, here is a link to some updated files to improve the behaviour of leaders when they lap backmarkers.
[Link removed, see post 34 below for an updated version - but please take time to read this, it's got some important info if you want to get the most out of it ]
(If you want to be able to revert to the original, backup the talent files and all upgrade files first!!)

To install, you must have my 1988 skins mod v1.02 already installed & working.
Then copy these new talent files and new upgrade files, into the relevant folders, overwriting the old ones.

Warning: If you like to skip qualifying & run a random grid or shorter races (less than 30%), then this mod is not really suitable. It is intended for longer races, to improve the situations where the leaders get held up by the backmarkers. You should NOT skip qualifying. If you do, the grid will be too random and this can cause big accidents on first lap, just as it would in reality!

Important:
The Good:
- the fastest 14 cars (Senna Prost, all the way down to Warwick Cheever) will all now pass the slower cars far more easily when lapping them. There are now much less instances of the leaders sitting behind slow cars spoiling the race. I've tested it in 50% races at Interlagos15, Monaco90 & Brasilia Full & had great races. (not so noticeable at Brasilia due to the fast sweeping bends & the cars clipping the high kerbs, but maybe I can improve it more yet). Looks to have improved things on several other circuits too.

But
The Bad:
Occasionally a faster car will 'bully' the slower car to go wide and slip off the track on the outside of the bend. It is rare, and I'm not too bothered, as the backmarker is not the priority part of the main race. I will continue to work on ironing this out. (improved in updated ver in post 34 below)

This 'mod' doesn't help on 'in' laps - so when you see some of the 'sitting behind slower car' behaviour, it is usually because the car is on it's way into the pits. I can't do anything about this, the car seems to switch into another 'pathway when heading for the pits, and reverts to a more defensive style of driving.

And one more bad point, well, not bad exactly, just strange - this 'mod' speeds the cars up more than usual, so you need to adjust your difficulty setting. I used to race on 100%, now I have had to drop it to 95! But please don't let that put you off trying this - once you get the difficulty level matched, I am finding the racing to be a major improvement, and I will definitely be using this for my longer offline races. (FIXED in update see post 34 below)

FUEL: there is currently a small bug in the default Reiza cars which means that they are actually refuelling at every pitstop, even though the player cannot refuel. As a consequence, the player's car is getting lighter and faster through the race, while the AI are bogged down with full tanks after every pitstop. This adversely affects the racing in the last quarter of the race, and also impedes their overtaking a bit.
I have added fuelling to ALL cars. You should leave your own tank FULL for the race, and it will automatically refuel along with the AI. This way, ALL cars are running with equal fuel amounts, and racing remains competitive to the end.

Footnote - It is not finished - some drivers may still be a bit too quick or too slow, I've been tweaking and testing this for a couple of weeks but I think it has now become good enough to enjoy the racing, but it might also be too aggressive, so I'll be interested to see what anyone thinks of it, good or bad. :)

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for these Keith. I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet (busy weekend, and traditionally any free time I have is spent hotlapping around The Principality :D).

It's a shame about the fuel issue. I very much hope that Renato and co. can sort it out. It seems almost better to turn fuel simulation off until they do.:(

Awesome. Thanks for these Keith. I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet (busy weekend, and traditionally any free time I have is spent hotlapping around The Principality :D).

It's a shame about the fuel issue. I very much hope that Renato and co. can sort it out. It seems almost better to turn fuel simulation off until they do.:(

yes, you could definitely turn fuel off instead, it would also solve it. Anyway I'm still working on it, but I'm seeing a real difference for the better when it gets beyond lap 16 or so and the leaders start arriving at the slower cars. :)

Here's a much improved version:
[removed, now included in 88 mod]

Same as before, it needs qualifying to be run in order to sort the grid a bit before the race. But in this version the AI are more stable, the driver order is improved, and the difficulty setting problem has been adjusted, so you can now set your AI difficulty to 100% or whatever you prefer and it should be ok.

As before, install my 88 mod first and then copy the talent files and upgrade files over the originals to use this mod.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff! Thanks so much for these.

Here's hoping Reiza sorts the refueling bug soonish - it worked fine in GSCE.

Can I also say that I think you do yourself a disservice by putting this in the skins sections. The work you put into it goes so far beyond mere skins and makes for a highly immersive racing experience. It is the kind of thing all mods should try to include. Actually it is the kind of thing the developers should include (using fictitious names of course).

Thanks Pudu, you're probably right about the mod category. It started life as a set of skins and I just left it in the same section when I added to it and updated it.

Anyway, hope you will enjoy the update - I hope I might be able to improve it more yet, but this latest version is giving me some of the best offline racing I have had. I was in 5th the other night behind Boutsen when we came upon the tailenders, and he was lapping them just as easily as me, I struggled to stay with him. I am now really enjoying the fact that it is no longer as easy to gain ground due to slower cars.
:)

Last edited:
I have to agree with you. I ran a full length race, in the Minardi, at Montreal. My engine crapped out on lap 7 :rolleyes:. But the leaders were able to pass back markers - occasionally into corners and always on the straights. It was like watching a race on tv.

Senna, running second, went off at turn 6 exactly like Vettel did in 2011, and when he rejoined he rammed straight into Berger and took off his front wing. (okay, maybe not exactly like a race on tv, especially now that Pastor is taking a break :D)

Berger pitted to get new tires and a new wing, and then proceeded to charge through the field and pushed his way back up into third by the end of the race.

Whatever voodoo magic you did with the talent and performance files, it truly works brilliantly. I hope we can coax you to eventually work your magic on some other years or series, because it is some of the most realistic racing on pc I've seen.

Huge thanks again.

Last edited:
Will you do a performance and reliability mod for the other Formula series on AMS?

I will be updating my 91 mod next, which shouldn't take long.

But for other series, it's a good question. Yes it is definitely possible, I'm not sure how straightforward it would be. It has taken a massive amount of time, experimenting with each setting over the past few years, which was ok because the Classics are my favourite car.
If other series use different physics - engine/hdv settings - then the results may vary, from good to disastrous. So yes, it's certainly possible to do for any series, but might take time to perfect settings for each. Maybe I will try another series and see how easily it transfers.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 154 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.7%