1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU Formula 3 @ Curvelo - Wednesday 08Nov17

Discussion in 'Automobilista Racing Clubs & Leagues' started by Ross Garland, Oct 27, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 08-11-17
  1. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Oh and no, not streaming on Twitch at the moment. But I'm thinking of trying out Restream for this very reason, so this might change fairly soon.

2. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero
    Foxtochop Premium

Ratings:
    +124
    I had a mini-heart attack because I didn't want to hit you as I span, you were very close. Had my girlfriend beside me watching the race and I said "The race is over in 6 minutes and I don't see myself crossing the line in front of this guy". She thought I could do it and I went "you bet?".

In certain way, I won.
    The bet.

I'll have the race uploaded by tomorrow afternoon.

3. Dan ONeill

Dan ONeill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +160
    So as you probably know I forgot to open my radiator before the race!
    I spent the whole race managing temps after I saw the oil temp at 120.... does anyone know how high you can run the F3 oil temp without reducing performance or blowing the engine?
    I don't remember the water temp but I can assume it was at 100 at least.

I managed to get the temp down to a relatively stable 105-107 by lifting and coasting and short shifting / using 1 gear higher than I would normally.

Made it an interesting race as I was being closed down by Bart, Tero and Jonny... almost like an endurance race (a short one)

4. Menos

Menos
    MA Racing #48 Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    I wachten part of your POV stream. I had a chuckle from the guy cheering you on to get past me. It was interesting to see how much I was struggling with grip and how I was sliding around everywhere.

Was great racing with you. You were all up in my mirrors constantly. I think I was running stick gearing too, so that wasn't why I was pulling away from you. Probably had to do with a difference in Aero.

5. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,414
    @Menos It was great fun indeed :thumbsup:

6. CMGARAGE

CMGARAGE
    Premium

Ratings:
    +296
    Whilst your logic seems solid it's worth noting that the track condition starts at 'medium' which is from the start of the weekend. The track gains grip (with a slight drop between sessions) and softer compounds rubber in more quickly.

I'd speculate that with 45+mins of buildup prior to race start, the track has reached near enough max grip by that point meaning you shouldn't feel too much of a drastic change. Club events are the perfect playground to test stuff like this out, though.

:geek:

According to the cars engine file the optimum oil temp is 110. From a very brief google search it seems that means you're subject to an effect on engine liftime and performance above this temp (unit being degrees celsius, I presume).

The lifetime of the engine in optimal conditions is about 5.5 hours (20,000 seconds) which decreases quicker with higher revs or more heat than is optimal. If I'm reading the numbers correctly, even at 120, you'd be halfing your lifetime; which , considering the race is only 0.75 hours approx and assuming you were sensible with the revs on downshifts, is plenty.

The big question is how it directly effects engine performance/power. If we consider you'd make it to the end at 120 anyway, was the time you lost by you shortshifting, coasting etc (which would also make you more fuel efficient and therefore reletively heavier) more costly than the power loss effect of high temps?

A higher rad setting usually means more drag too. I would love to a direct comparison between the two approaches.

:geek:

7. Dan ONeill

Dan ONeill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +160
    Wow thanks for the detailed reply Matt, so it seems I was overly cautious with my approach to the temps. I've seen a lot of engines let go in AMS and had one or two myself...
    To answer your question I think that I lost a lot of lap time coasting and short shifting but I tried to do it in a way that would minimise loss, for example going into T1 hot in 4th and using 3rd to exit T2 (going green on entry by 2 tenths). T3 was a lift early then down to 4th again then 3rd exiting T4. The rest was just shifting before the red light and getting into 6th as soon as possible.

It's funny because at Hockenheim my temps never went above 90 so I thought I was close to the limit, more testing required I guess...

Cheers

Dan

8. Tero Dahlberg

Tero Dahlberg
    Ajira Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +330
    Air temp is a factor too. But I've seen many tracks have similar temps so dunno...