Stock Car Extreme Setups

I understand what you mean, unfortunately I think this project is not feasible.
Knowing the theory, the rest can only be learned with many, many hours of sitting.

Still I think this would be a very very good, if not the best, sim driving school, feeling what is a bad, better or best setup, and having the feel and explanation WHY.
I must have read a thousand guides, but not one practical and real feel one. Meanwhile I sure don't underestimate driving experience and 'sitting hours'.

You know what a car with oversteer or understeer?
A manual may suggest you change the ARB, caster, springs ... But first you must be able to identify if this "possible" problem is not related to your way of driving, and this is what I mean with many hours of practice . Knowing the theory and fundamentals of mechanics, adjust the car will be as individual style of each driver.

Mikk Mix mod - Alpina B6 (don't quite remember which series)

Brasilia Full @1:51.578

Please let me know if it worths anything or where it´s failing.
All my setups are done with the help of motec and while "driving" a G27/modded pedals (Nixim/GTeye).

Cheers

Attachments

• B6_BrasiliaFull.svm
    3.5 KB · Views: 366
I downloaded your file and frontwing stays in 1 and rearwing drops to 1. How I control the frontwing?

In your file I saw this
[FRONTWING]
//FWSetting=0//1

[REARWING]
RWSetting=0//1

If I remove the "//" mark it doesn't seem to have any affect to frontwing. Also when I put "FWSetting=1" it doesn't seems to have any affect. From game I cannot modify frontwing. Does it mean that I cannot control it from file either?

Hi, this is my basic kart setup for this track and few people found it useful, so I post it here now. I don't really know much about kart setups and setups in general but i guess it doesn't matter :)
I think that, with a few changes, this can be used in other kart tracks too.
I managed to do a 48.6xx in Interlagos kart 1 track with this setup yesterday in club race.
...edit: i forgot to say that i use DFGT with 210-220 degrees in logitech profiler. 21 steering lock in this setup.

bad quality video of the lap :geek:

Attachments

• gsce kart setup interlagos kart1.svm
    3.3 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Probably the best car setup tutorial I have read in the OP, nice and simple.

Also the throttle/brake debate is moot, performance should technically be the same, some don't find an issue balancing the car correctly with the throttle, others may need the brake and throttle to smooth the transition, whatever works.
On shumi, were talking formula 1, it's his personal driving style, if the brakes can handle it it seems valid, I wonder if all the greats used this technique? I highly doubt it, so it's preference first.
But In the vast majority race cars your brakes would be toast before knew it, hence it's much better used in the sim world like throttle blipping without the clutch, yeah possible, but your gearbox may not be there at the end.

Back to car setup, the best advice is, concentrate on driving first. Understanding setup theory will almost "click" when someone starts driving a vehicle to its limit.
Iracing has some good generic vids about driving that will cross over to GSC perfectly.

I agree that a car setup/vehicle dynamics tutorial - if implemented properly - could be very helpful. I'm not sure that laptime would necessarily provide the best measure of setup success, however, as adjustments are often made for drivability/driving style reasons. More importantly, although the sum of numerous small adjustments may provide a consistent driver with as much as 1s, recognizing - and measuring - the contributions of each individual change through laptime deltas would be next to impossible with all but the most consistent drivers.

That said, a tutorial mode able to help isolate - and recognize - specific car characteristics would be uniquely beneficial. I've understood vehicle dynamics for some time, but have had great difficulty applying that knowledge effectively, simply because I have trouble discerning subtle car characteristics.

If the rear is sliding under braking, I'll move the brake bias forward, or increase the differential lock on coast, and if I'm spinning my rear wheels, or losing the rear, on exit, I'll lower the lock on power, soften the rear springs, or increase negative toe-in at the rear, but I have great difficulty recognizing subtler cornering characteristics (e.g. mid-corner behavior. And if the general car behavior isn't ridiculously obvious, I'm unable to make effective adjustments at all. Therefore, anything that would help me better understand car behavior is welcomed.

Of course, consistency is both the fundamental prerequisite for effective car setup, and perhaps the most difficult. Obviously, without consistent lapping, judging an adjustment's effectiveness is impossible, but consistency at every corner, lap after lap, is also necessary to understand a given car's handling characteristics, especially at a granular level. I think this is responsible for much of the black art aspect of car setup.

Unfortunately, as I've all too frequently seen first hand, the consistency required for effective car setup is - so far - beyond my ability.

Henk

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years