Formula 1 Pit Stops 1950 vs. Today

It would be silly not to point out that not only has technology evolved in the pits but they were limited to 4 crew members including the driver which were allowed to work on the car in 1950. Clearly today that number has quadrupled, I counted 20 men in the pit. That's certainly going to make things quicker not including the more advanced equipment designed for such a task. I did find it funny though that they said in 1950, the driver was allowed to work on the car in the pit. I wonder how often that happened, the driver stepped out and started refueling his own car. I laugh out loud just picturing that scenario.

Amazing to think that if you blink you could miss 4 tires being changed and a fuel up. Even in the last 15 years the time has come down quite a bit. Also have seen plenty of videos from the 80's and 90's where pit crewmen were sucked under a tire and shot out like a rag doll, so time isn't the only thing to get better. I'll post one here if i find one.

Amazing to think that if you blink you could miss 4 tires being changed and a fuel up. Even in the last 15 years the time has come down quite a bit. Also have seen plenty of videos from the 80's and 90's where pit crewmen were sucked under a tire and shot out like a rag doll, so time isn't the only thing to get better. I'll post one here if i find one.
They don´t fill up the tank anymore since 2008 If I´m not wrong...

• Deleted member 161052

In my opinion, Ferrari always make fast pit stops.

Yeah! Its absolutely insane the rate that f1 is improving in ways like this, it seems to be exponential. Now 700hp from a 1.6liter motor?? I'm not a fan of the sound of most of them, I sorta feel that was a trademark for f1, but that sort of efficiency is insane.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 336 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 228 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%