Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 Pack

Cars Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 Pack 3.11

Login or Register an account to download this content
=LM=908GTS submitted a new resource:

1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 - Ford sierra RS500 grA DTM

Here is a version 2.0 of this mod, I hope you will enjoy it.

Drift version was not a priority, we work hard on the stock, grA and DTM versions but i decide to put in the pack.

DTM version has been made to compete with Kunos DTM cars (BMW E30 DTM and Mercedes 190 Evo2). I try to make it fair as possible with the same tyres.

Thanks to the original modders for their great work on the 1.20 version !

Original mod :

Read more about this resource...

Hey, some thoughts from a fairly veteran physics modder.

The STEER_ASSIST in the Drift and touring cars is set to 0, which means a very aggressive gamma. You want to set it at 1 for linear steering, like in a non-power steering rack. I suggest only using very very small gamma like 1.02 or 1.03 if you want to simulate a speed sensitive rack. Values lower than 1.0 boost the low speed, and weaken the high speed. To avoid FFB clipping/super weak low speed forces in very high aero cars.

Secondly, I suggest doing some research into lengthened steering arms and lower control arms for RS500's and similar cars to get an idea of a realistic drift geometry. Right now how it is it is basically physically impossible to achieve such a steering lock, even with tricks like grinding down the knuckle stops. And very often more angle is gained simply via spacing the steering rack or grinding down stops for MORE STEERING LOCK. As in more degrees of steering wheel turning. In addition to modified geometries for more lock. The center of gravity of the cars is also unchanged despite drastic interior stripping. I suggest doing some searching for part masses/estimating part masses and adjusting the center of gravity after calculating the new load bias from removing said parts. It's a bit of a guess sometimes but better than not even trying.

Other than this, it's clear this is a fast job/the physics modder is maybe new and inexperienced. It's ok, good effort. You can make it better with more time I believe. PM me for any questions or anything.

Hey, some thoughts from a fairly veteran physics modder.

The STEER_ASSIST in the Drift and touring cars is set to 0, which means a very aggressive gamma. You want to set it at 1 for linear steering, like in a non-power steering rack. I suggest only using very very small gamma like 1.02 or 1.03 if you want to simulate a speed sensitive rack. Values lower than 1.0 boost the low speed, and weaken the high speed. To avoid FFB clipping/super weak low speed forces in very high aero cars.

Secondly, I suggest doing some research into lengthened steering arms and lower control arms for RS500's and similar cars to get an idea of a realistic drift geometry. Right now how it is it is basically physically impossible to achieve such a steering lock, even with tricks like grinding down the knuckle stops. And very often more angle is gained simply via spacing the steering rack or grinding down stops for MORE STEERING LOCK. As in more degrees of steering wheel turning. In addition to modified geometries for more lock. The center of gravity of the cars is also unchanged despite drastic interior stripping. I suggest doing some searching for part masses/estimating part masses and adjusting the center of gravity after calculating the new load bias from removing said parts. It's a bit of a guess sometimes but better than not even trying.

Other than this, it's clear this is a fast job/the physics modder is maybe new and inexperienced. It's ok, good effort. You can make it better with more time I believe. PM me for any questions or anything.
Thanks for your comment and suggestions. As I say, we only work on stock, grA and DTM versions. I just upgrade tyres to Kunos street on the drift version. I'm not an expert in the art of drifting so it's hard for me to have the good feeling with it. I can ask to a real drift driver what needs to be improved the drift version.
This is my first experience in physics modding, so I have to learn more.

Thanks for your comment and suggestions. As I say, we only work on stock, grA and DTM versions. I just upgrade tyres to Kunos street on the drift version. I'm not an expert in the art of drifting so it's hard for me to have the good feeling with it. I can ask to a real drift driver what needs to be improved the drift version.
This is my first experience in physics modding, so I have to learn more.
Fair enough. I could say a lot, but you will improve with time anyway. Just keep studying.

If I had suggestions, it would be to set the STEER_ASSIST to 1, or the forces will not feel right. If the cars retain the original PS I would even use the same STRENGTH for all.

About driftcar setup, it's no hard rule but often you will want to run your front axle stiffer than the rear, by some .3 - .5hz for example. Possible to go even stiffer. The car needs to understeer to be balanced in a drift. Some even remove the rear rollbar entirely. The trend is also for quite soft suspensions, around the 2hz mark or below is what I like personally. Rear traction especially is key.

If you want to improve the steering geometry, look around about lengthened lower control arms, lengthened steering arms, angle kits, steering knuckle grinding. The RS500 is, presumably, MacPherson front, so it wouldn't be that complicated to lengthen the LCA and steering arm, install a steering rack spacer to said steering arm and grind down the steering knuckle stops for more clearance. For example a +20mm longer LCA will result in a +40mm wider track, more or less. It will change the camber and steering geometry in a strut car, but it will allow you to run a longer steering arm as well and potentially gain steering lock. Grinding the stops will simply allow for more steering. Not sure if it's like this on an RS500 but it's like that on Silvias.

If you want a quick n easy way to lengthen suspension arms to a reasonable degree of precision, without using any complicated maths or CAD software or anything, use Geogebra's 2d grapher and input the susp coordinates in. Learn to use the "line with a given length" feature or whatever it is called and figure out the rest. It won't be 100% precise but within manufacture tolerances I say.

=LM=908GTS updated 1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 with a new update entry:

Stock/DTM adjustements and new drift version

Here is the first update !

First, many thanks for your comments and positive feedbacks on our work !

What's new ?

Stock version : FFMULT adjustement (slightly more hard).

DTM version : I try to ajust the fuel consumption with the other DTM Kunos cars.

Drift version : As I have done nothing on the 2.0 release (just the V10 tyres), this time I try to mix the suspension of the GrA/DTM with the wheel feeling of the stock version.
If you are a drift driver, your suggestions are welcome....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thank you for updating these cars! Can RS500 Group A compete with Kunos BMW E30 Group A and (mod) Alfa Romeo 75 Group A?
I have to try these 3 cars to see if the grA version can compete with E30 and Alfa 75. I spent more time to make the DTM version compete with the Kunos cars. Maybe, you can try it end see if you have the same performances.

Good job, thanks! But for my championship I increased the weight of the car in car.ini, and also changed the value of the ABS in electronics.ini so that the car did not twitch in the corners.

Interesting. I've done the physics of the GrA-version for personal use, with the help of Suspension Analyzer, so mine has a pretty accurate McPherson in front and a DBW mimicking semi-trailing arm at the back. New engine and tires too. Perhaps I'll check this one later.

Interesting. I've done the physics of the GrA-version for personal use, with the help of Suspension Analyzer, so mine has a pretty accurate McPherson in front and a DBW mimicking semi-trailing arm at the back. New engine and tires too. Perhaps I'll check this one later.
You are welcome if you have any suggestion.

The current rear in this RS500 isn't anything akin to a semi-trailing arm. Chances are your geometries are much more accurate. Are you experienced in AC modding? If so, I would suggest the current team takes some of your advice/implements some of your changes. I would help on the car myself, if I was not already neck-deep in JDM to deal with.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.2%