Ford Mustang VS Triumph TR4 @ Nordschleife - Tuesday June 29th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyermix.jpg
greenhellvln.jpg

tr4vsstang.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Green Hell
Class: Ford Mustang vs Triumph TR4 (Download HERE)
Track: Nordschleife (VLN Layout)
Start Time: 19.00 GMT
Qualification: 30 min Note: Instead of having 20 minutes of practice and then 10 minutes of qualification, we will have the full 30 minutes dedicated just to qualification. Unlimited laps.
Race: 2 x 2 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default Skins Only
Note3: The car you will be driving in Race 1 will be listed next to your name in the sign-ups. Please make sure you know what car you are driving in Race 1.

My Setups:

Attachments

• CDTR4.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 316
  • CDStang.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 278
Tim, don't worry about the cutting, when we race at the Nords we turn off the cutting rules because we know how hard it is to complete a lap without going off track.

As Knut said Andreas, we get a lot of our content from there because sometimes the authors do not allow hosting it anywhere else. I'm guilty of not being active there myself, I only download stuff.

Server is up.

Also, the TR4s have different power to weight ratios and suspensions. They also drive a little bit differently. Check them all out, don't just go on looks.
BTW, my setup was made up using the lightest roadster.

Great Little Vs. Large Pairing again Carlos.

Race one (TR4) - 3rd on Grid, make a good start and took the lead, where I stayed for all of lap 1 with Andreas right up with me. Andreas makes his move by using the Mustang's power down the S/F straight. We both outbrake ourselves into T1 but Andreas had the inside so was able to sqeeze ahead. On lap two I tried desperately to use the TR4's nimbleness to get ahead again early on, on lap one I managed to stay ahead by taking a very cenrtal line through the narrow fast bit which Andreas was too nice to try and get past in. This was my only chance to win..........

Unfortunately Andreas was driving the Stang like a man possesed and he made enough of a gap that I couldn't catch up in the twisty bits. We finished 1.2s apart, with the next nearest opponent 45 back from us.....awesome battle Andreas, you deserve to win.

Race 2 (Mustang) - I decided not to qualy as the room I am in was sooooooo hot I needed a break and a drink. Started at the back and had a good run down to T1, passing a couple of people. Took a couple of big bumps in T1 but wasn't spun or damaged so I was happy with my start overall. On Lap 1 I knew to Win I had to get up to at least 3rd by halfway through the lap. I went for it with little regard for tyres or the barriers, managed to pass Andreas on the outside going down the Foxhole and somehow passed another TR4 (didn't see name sorry) at the bottom of the hill as we went through the left hand kink, was a bit shocked that I was carrying so much more speed and the pass was really more about not crashing than making a pass, but it worked out well.

By the time the crowd was at Ex-Muhle I was 2nd and Knut was 1st with a healthy lead, I battled with Andreas again fora little while but was eventually able to pull away just as he had done in R1. I spent lap 2 ragging my car for all it was worth but it was no use. Knut was too far ahead and with the same car there was no place to try and gain on him. Well done to him for a comprehensive win.

Thanks guys for dispelling the myth that Nords doesn't lend itself to close battles and overtaking, and thanks again Carlos for bringing this amazing track back out for us.

Cheers!

Enjoyed Race 1 in the Stang, but I had a bit of a wobble in race 2 avoiding Bob's big red rear end, tried desperately to avoid - it didn't end well. TR4's still pretty buggy imo, it seems to really dig in if you roll a bit or come across a bit of a bank or something. It handles nicely, but not sure it's up to scratch with the rest of the mods we've got. After that though it kind of got a bit worse through extraneous circs.

Tried to struggle on but the new, adjustable desk legs I'd bought this evening and hastily bolted on (the reason why I was late) weren't settled properly - I suspect the wheels ffb in race 1 loosened the hasty adjustments I'd made - the boys on TS know the full story - the table started tilting like crazy and I was half using the wheel to steer and half to keep the desk upright. I couldn't carry on after a few spills, so quit out to adjust properly.

Enjoyed Race 1 in the Stang, but I had a bit of a wobble in race 2 avoiding Bob's big red rear end, tried desperately to avoid - it didn't end well. TR4's still pretty buggy imo, it seems to really dig in if you roll a bit or come across a bit of a bank or something. It handles nicely, but not sure it's up to scratch with the rest of the mods we've got. After that though it kind of got a bit worse through extraneous circs.

Yeah, that exact behavior felt a little weird. I'm not sure if this due to wrong physics assumptions or if its representative of the real car. I think I'll have a look in the files. Carlos said there is two versions; one with solid rear axle and one with independent rear. I'm eager to test out the latter one

Thanks Carlos for another great match up, David V's Goliath. As for my races, race 1, had a right good battle with Stu but he passed me on the long straight but I kept in touch but could never get close enough to make a pass even though I managed to tame the TR4 and start to remember the track. Race 2 was going well, had a nice little batte with Pedrag, loosing him on the fast bits but he would always came back to me in the twisty stuff. Looking good for 3rd place but this all came to an end when I was taken out of the race, race craft, what race craft.

Sorry for being a bit unprepared tonight, I only managed 1.5 practice laps today which were my qualy laps. But it was fun though. This is my kind of hell:good:

Race 1 was very entertaining with some nice racing with Stuart and a close finish behind Hans. Good fun. Second race was more quiet but oh my god that V8! Lovely car!!

As for the TR4... In the first race I chose the heaviest one which I now found out had a solid rear axle. It felt stiff and nice through the smooth corners. But suddenly it snapped and sent me in the wall or rolled over. Didn't really like it. Had to drive below 100%.

I just tried the 840 kg TR4 around nords. What a difference! I could use full throttle much earlier without having to worry about snap oversteer. It flowed really nice and had good response and was very agile. It felt really good:good: I was actually over 20s faster than the Stang while in the heavy TR4 I was slower.

Thanks for a great event. Good combo.

Nothing particular to add... boring first race, Andreas and Tom flew away after few corners, was lonely both laps, ended 3rd.
Second race, was 3rd after the qualy with TR4, 5th after few laps, and found myself behind Bob, and apparently watched his wide red butt for a lap and a half almost, couple of times overtook him after some fast corners. Must say that I enjoyed racing&battling with Bob again after Birmingham. I must make a skin with "Hi Bob" on the front mask flipped horizontally, like ambulance, lol.:redface:
As I said just before race 2, driving Triumph is like playing a Froger... jump jump jump avoid jump jump left jump right avoid jump jump! :D

edit:
I picked a 840kg TR4, just to let you know. :)

Had a great time, not lap time. Thanks to Carlos for the setups and input from Bob. I was actually keeping pace with some cars for a while, at times, but still pressing too much and losing it at different times due to lack of concentration because there was no reason to go off the track when I did, which I did several times. Little room for error with this stuff. Had a few challenges with Tim K. which was very exciting from my point of view. I'm creeping closer to the pack but still a ways to go. It is a slow process because of the stiff competition.

Glad to be apart of the events.:)

Reading back some of the posts, I've just realised that I picked the too twitchy TR4 as well, which wouldn't have helped.

Bob told me the #44 was better for him than the #144 which was too twitchy.

I got them muddled up in my stupid head, and picked the #144, thinking #44 was the twitcher.

Big old Doh!

Well, I left this race seething with frustration at myself. I'd done a fair bit of practice round the Nords for this, and it showed in quali, as I was just about in the midfield. The races were different :(

Race 1. I managed the bury my Stang in the kitty litter at the section where the GP circuit joins the main part of the circuit, and it took over a minute to get out. I then managed to emulate a pinball for most of the rest of the lap by bouncing off the armco wherever possible, while missing braking points as often as I could. Lap 2 was better, but I came home 3+ minutes behind the winner.

Race 2. I picked the lightest TR4, got a reasonable start, but got a bit sandwiched by Stangs at T1. Made it through onto the main course without errors and had a brief tussle with Tim K until I span. Recovered and was slowly catching someone up, when I span again coming into a downhill slope, but this time I managed to beach my car, and was stuck. I quit out in disgust. :poke:

Thanks Carlos, I've really come to enjoy driving the Green Hell, and I wouldn't have done that without this race. The Mustang was an enjoyable drive, but the TR4 is just missing something, it's a bit too unpredictable.

Now, if only I could get this race stuff right.

What to say after all the reports, first a bout the TR4 in testing not a great success ,bouncing of the curves not good controllable bring down the rear rebound one click an that was better,best time I did 11.15.xxx, in Quali I get surprised in my third lap not looking on the clock, "Race Start" put my full in an hit the race button an on the grid no idea of the place or the time I did.
When the race start all happened in a blurr can't remember much,I think when the TR4 entered the Nord I was on p9/10? did the race most on my own ,saw some cars going of an found my self on p6 in lap 2, then in the last couple of turns a car was closing in (made some mistakes) an he past me it was Knut, but to my surprise I was faster on the long strait home an past Knut just over the hill before the last 2 turns an bring it home on p6 with a PB of 11.04.5xx pretty happy with that.

The Mustang always give me trouble, can't control the car to do what I want , the car is controlling me I think lol.
Start the race on p6 did a lonely race not much to tell about an fin.on p6 again.

As I said before, the Green Hell is a Love-Hate relationship if you make one mistake at they end of a lap it ruins your lap time an you have to do another lap,but the track is a masterpiece with a great history an I admire the drivers that do a 24U race there.

Thanks Carlos, it was another great event!

Just finished reading a bit more carefully through the "readme" file for the TR4. Butch has included five different physics files for this car.

TRIUMPH_TR4.hdc 940kg standard engine and IRS suspension.
TRIUMPH_TR4_840.hdc 840kg standard engine and Rear axle.
TRIUMPH_TR4_980.hdc 980kg standard engine and Rear axle.
TRIUMPH_TR4_8_10.hdc 940kg 8_10 engine and IRS suspension.
TRIUMPH_TR4_10_10.hdc 940kg 10_10 engine and IRS suspension. (205HP)

I just tried the "10_10" and found it to be the best one. But that's just my opinion, you should check it out yourselves. The car revs higher and has 205HP instead of 174HP. It's not the lightest version, but it has the most powerful motor along with IRS.

To try it out you have to pick a car (I chose #44), go into the ".CAR" file and change this...

// 44 - Triumph TR4, Simulation
//----------------------------------------------------

HDVehicle=TRIUMPH_TR4.hdc <----to TRIUMPH_TR4_10_10.hdc
Graphics=TRIUMPH_TR4.cas
GenString=4142431
Sounds=TRIUMPH_TR4.aud
HeadPhysics=headphysics.hed

Eyepoint=(0.31, 0.70, 0.50)
CameraTarget=(0.000, 0.500, 0.20)
MaxSeatRear=0.09
MaxSeatFront=-0.09
MaxSeatUp=0.09
MaxSeatDown=-0.09
FrontWheelsInCockpit=0

Make sure you back up the file somewhere before messing with it.

If we all like this version better I could make a zip file that will update all the cars to use this particular physics file. That way all the different body styles have the same weight, suspension, and horsepower. I wouldn't mind running a couple of single make races with it, I like it. Only problem I see with it is that if it tips over a bit too far, the tires dig in and the car flips over too easily. I wish Butch would notice this and fix it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 129 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 473 39.0%