Cars Ford Focus RS Mk1 WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool. I really like that car. The best we got was the SVT over here, but the plain 3-door with 16" alloys and manual 5spd was a fun little ride.

I have a mk2 now... but had a mk1 for many years.
Can't wait for this as well.

I owned a boggo Mk2 for a few months (got rid of it because the engine was just dire). Apart fromt he powerplant (1.6 petrol) I loved it - excellent chassis compared to other modern-ish hatches I'd driven, steering was great (was hydraulic, I think the ST was electric), and was really comfy.

I was kinda tempted about getting a Mk1 ST170 for a while, but every one I looked at were all rusted through.

My mk2 is exactly the same, 1.6 too but low mileage. It's really a pleasure to take mountain roads with it. And the suspension is so smooth that the lady don 't even bother with me going bonkers on corners.:)

Wow I'm loving the progress!

The tyre tread pattern looks perfect. Though is the sidewall a bit too tall? Remember an 18" rim is 19.5" across (1.5" ontop of the tyre bead size on all wheels)... maybe the tyre is right, the wheel too small?! It looks right though.

On the triangle edits under editable poly/edit poly, just watch out with some modifications as if the numbering of verts is reset then the triangulations can be reset. Some tools like target weld respect vert numbering for example, while global welds of large selections don't.
It's well worth doing them though, the flow of reflections will look sweeter with the flows set now I bet!

It'd be nice to see that door wibble tidied up, probably something you can do near the end though as it's probably a subtle change. Just 1cm in/out might be enough over the whole door... it's a pita to get right in my experience but as I've said before your work is otherwise very good so this is just nit picking towards perfection more than anything.

I'm still really impressed with the modelling you've done though. This is a tough car shape to get right and you've pretty much nailed it :)

Dave

Wow I'm loving the progress!

The tyre tread pattern looks perfect. Though is the sidewall a bit too tall? Remember an 18" rim is 19.5" across (1.5" ontop of the tyre bead size on all wheels)... maybe the tyre is right, the wheel too small?! It looks right though.

On the triangle edits under editable poly/edit poly, just watch out with some modifications as if the numbering of verts is reset then the triangulations can be reset. Some tools like target weld respect vert numbering for example, while global welds of large selections don't.
It's well worth doing them though, the flow of reflections will look sweeter with the flows set now I bet!

It'd be nice to see that door wibble tidied up, probably something you can do near the end though as it's probably a subtle change. Just 1cm in/out might be enough over the whole door... it's a pita to get right in my experience but as I've said before your work is otherwise very good so this is just nit picking towards perfection more than anything.

I'm still really impressed with the modelling you've done though. This is a tough car shape to get right and you've pretty much nailed it :)

Dave
Yeah I'm not 100% sure on the wheel size, it is a bit larger than 18 inches but maybe not 19.5, I'm waiting for accurate measurements from an owner.

And yes that door reflection is bugging the hell out of me, I've improved it a little but I'm not happy. Will have to make more tweaks.

Well, if he wouldn't work on 3 projects at the same time..

... I'd probably have run out of motivation by now and would have released nothing at all.

Yes its probably not the most efficient method, but it keeps me interested and at the end of the day I've release two mods now - I can't say that'd be the case had I kept on plugging away with the transit from day one.

Really looking forward to your mod, looks superb so far :)
One thing is in my mind the whole time: here in Germany there's a tv show for children called "Die Sendung mit der Maus". For over 40 years they're airing every Sunday and explain scientific stuff as well as showing cartoons. I loved that show when I was a kid and round about 15 years ago they made several episodes about how a car is built. I still have all the VCR recordings, oh the memories :)
Anyways they filmed the complete building process of a Mk1 Ford Focus, so maybe it's of any interest for you - for German-speaking people it's worth a watch in every case:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v8779380095tBsXbF

Really looking forward to your mod, looks superb so far :)
One thing is in my mind the whole time: here in Germany there's a tv show for children called "Die Sendung mit der Maus". For over 40 years they're airing every Sunday and explain scientific stuff as well as showing cartoons. I loved that show when I was a kid and round about 15 years ago they made several episodes about how a car is built. I still have all the VCR recordings, oh the memories :)
Anyways they filmed the complete building process of a Mk1 Ford Focus, so maybe it's of any interest for you - for German-speaking people it's worth a watch in every case:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v8779380095tBsXbF

Awesome, I'll check it out when I get home! Really appreciate it, even though I don't speak a word of German :D

Well, if he wouldn't work on 3 projects at the same time..

Really? You just joined and thats what you contribute as your first post? Is he on your payroll? Didn't think so. Its his time and he can do as he pleases. No one's forcing you to be here. If you dont like the way he works shut your pie hole and move on.... :O_o:

[And he likes RayDarcy's posts too :unsure: :whistling:]

Btw, is the writing on the tyre sidewall a bit too pronounced? It looks about 5mm high in the last screenshots.

Could be, I'll have a look, should be easy enough to tune :thumbsup:

And jesus, I really don't understand the negative mentality a few people have about these things.

Why would anyone complain about any modders work assuming its all scratch made? It doesn't matter how long it takes or the type of content, the fact is people are taking time out of their day to make free content - can they not just show a little gratitude? And if its not to their taste, why say anything at all?!

Anyway, I'll be back on this project very soon, just need a little time to do some driving, I haven't done enough lately!

... I'd probably have run out of motivation by now and would have released nothing at all.

Yes its probably not the most efficient method, but it keeps me interested and at the end of the day I've release two mods now - I can't say that'd be the case had I kept on plugging away with the transit from day one.

Sorry about my idiotic enunciation. I can understand your reasons and it's imaginable that working on one car for such a long time to get it perfect can be quite demotivating

Pleaaaaaase pleasse finish this! it looks so good so far.
Yep i will as soon as I can - bit busy with this at the mo: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rss-gt1-championship.140452/page-62#post-2617769

And just to show you its not dead, here are some up to date screens with the current project ;)

g7GoP4Vh.jpg

pFqZM7Yh.jpg

W5E4htxh.jpg

k8Dy7MMh.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years