Cars Ford Focus RS Mk1 WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, what's your plan for the headlight reflectors? normal map or geometry?

Normal map I think, luckily it all looks fairly simple with no crazy light refraction or anything. Just nice clear glass, and chrome geometry.

fetch

Got started on tyres - tread getting there but stuck for good sidewall reference. I'm looking to model the original Michelin Pilot Sports (OEM tyre for the Mk1 RS), and found good tread pics but nothing clear for the sidewalls, which will make getting it right tricky.

Bit of compression artifacts atm, will sort it once they are final.

idpl4OGh.jpg

keIyy11h.jpg

If anyone know of good references, let me know! Will chat to the owners club as I know some have the original tyres still :roflmao:

0nvbTJ1h.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a sidewall pic is not the solution. I have a method to make my own sidewalls, here's how it goes:

I make a simple, plain donut:
nitto01.jpg

And mapped like this:
nitto02.jpg

Using this texture:
adrstudio_205_50_15.jpg

Which I can change to whatever I like in PS, then make a normal map from it, diffuse, etc. I render the plain view in 4096 to get nice details down and make the texture from there.

To get the right placement from a round sidewall pic, there's the "backwards" way. I map the sidewall to a 360° bended donut, then unbend it and I end up with a long stripe with all the info I need to make a clean texture using it as a base.

This is the result of "unbending" the mapped sidewall:
****it1.jpg

And from that I've built this:
****it2.jpg

You can see the result on RSanchez' Fulvia :)

Looking for a sidewall pic is not the solution. I have a method to make my own sidewalls, here's how it goes:

I make a simple, plain donut:
View attachment 184319

And mapped like this:
View attachment 184320

Using this texture:
View attachment 184321

Which I can change to whatever I like in PS, then make a normal map from it, diffuse, etc. I render the plain view in 4096 to get nice details down and make the texture from there.

To get the right placement from a round sidewall pic, there's the "backwards" way. I map the sidewall to a 360° bended donut, then unbend it and I end up with a long stripe with all the info I need to make a clean texture using it as a base.

This is the result of "unbending" the mapped sidewall:
View attachment 184322

And from that I've built this:
View attachment 184323
You can see the result on RSanchez' Fulvia :)

Cheers, really helpful stuff as always!

But I don't have any problems making the texture, just getting decent reference (as I want it to match/be close to the original tyre), that's all. Anyway I've found some better pics (on ebay :D) so hopefully can make a bit of progress.

I have seen it done like that, and may give it a go!

Cheers, really helpful stuff as always!

But I don't have any problems making the texture, just getting decent reference (as I want it to match/be close to the original tyre), that's all. Anyway I've found some better pics (on ebay :D) so hopefully can make a bit of progress.

I have seen it done like that, and may give it a go!

For me is the easiest way to make a clean sidewall texture, and it's easy to adjust too, since you don't need to go rotating anything in PS, just change the placement and the UV does the rest.
As for reference you can use any pic, all you need is to know where each text or shape goes.

For me is the easiest way to make a clean sidewall texture, and it's easy to adjust too, since you don't need to go rotating anything in PS, just change the placement and the UV does the rest.
As for reference you can use any pic, all you need is to know where each text or shape goes.

Yeah just getting a clear readable ref pic has been the problem :roflmao:

I am really tempted to try your straight texture technique though - I have to ask, how do you package the whole tyre UV map, as to not waste space being so long and narrow?

wh6XoSN.png

This works ok for me, gives the whole thing its own map (sidewalls are separate so AO can shade the backside of the tire). Basically could be a 2048*512 texture instead but Blender plays nicer with square textures so I just split it with seams into halves.

Finally found the way to control the triangluation without having to manually connect vertices like Chargincar was suggesting! I knew it was possible, but took forever to find it! Very easy and simple to use, probably spent way too much time going over the whole mesh though :roflmao:

ypNlKpnh.jpg

Just cut out the windows, and made a placeholder interior so you don't see through the mesh. Makes a change from the drug-dealer style black tints I've been seeing so far! :laugh: Need to crack on with the lights now so I can begin on the interior!

uX6sfmdh.jpg

uemlqx5h.jpg

W4QhSCPh.jpg

RelxS4Nh.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.1%
  • < 2 years