Featured Force India Saved by Stroll Led Consortium

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +16,975
    Force India Saved.jpg
    The Force India Formula One team appear to have been rescued from administration by a high powered consortium led by billionaire Canadian Lawrence Stroll.

With the Silverstone based team continuing to perform impressively in Formula One these last few years, the news just before the summer break that the squad have been forced into administration in an attempt to stave off closure due to an increasing lack of funds in recent months has finally found a happy ending, with administrators confirming the outfit have been rescued by a consortium of people led by Canadian fashion mogul Lawrence Stroll, father of current Williams sophomore driver Lance.

Force India’s chief operations officer Otmar Szafnauer confirmed the news today, marking the end of an unpredictable period for the team who currently sit sixth in the 2018 Constructors Championship:

“This outcome secures the future of the Force India team in Formula 1 and will allow our team of racers to compete to our full potential.”

“I am delighted that we have the support of a consortium of investors who believe in us as a team and who see the considerable business potential that Force India has within F1 now and in the future.”

“At Force India, our expertise and commitment has meant that we have always punched above our weight and this new investment ensures that we have a bright future ahead of us.”

“I also would like to thank Vijay, the Sahara Group and the Mol family for all of their support and taking the team as far as their circumstances would allow,”​

Joint administrator Geoff Rowley, no stranger to fans who followed the ultimately abortive attempts to rescue both Caterham and Manor in recent seasons added:

“It is rare that a company can be rescued and returned to a position of solvency.”

“The quality of the various interested parties has been impressive and required careful consideration as the administration has progressed.

“Having followed a robust process, in the end we were left with a highly-credible offer to save the company and restore solvency.

“Funding to support the team will be made available from today, and significantly more will be available once the company emerges from administration which we expect within the next two to three weeks.”
    It is thought the new cash injection will allow Force India to bring on stream a wave of new developments planned for the current season, as well as allowing the team to continue progress of the 2019 challenger. It remains to be seen if the Force India name will remain past 2018, or if new ownership will result in a rebranding ahead of next season.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Happy to see Force India have been saved? Do you think Lance Stroll will end up in one of the cars either later this season or next? Can this be a prompt for Force India to move on to bigger things in future? Let us know in the comments section below!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,603
    Well firstly, the team is saved for the time being which is great news.

The figures I was hearing though were frightening. The shareholders were owed £140 million, Mercedes were owed around £60 million and so on. Where on earth you find that sort of capital I have no idea so whatever you think of Lawrence Stroll he's done a remarkable job of rescuing the team.

Fingers crossed they are still here for 2019 and beyond :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joshums Anderson

Joshums Anderson

Ratings:
    +31
    I suspect Sergio Perez might be looking for a new team for 2019 if Mercedes have anything to say about Ocon staying at F-India...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports Premium

Ratings:
    +1,469
    As a canadian id love to see his father put some of his funds into a development program for future canadian youth drivers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jolero02

Jolero02

Ratings:
    +28
    All I’m saying is that coming from someone who doesn’t like to ride the paydriver hate train is that Pérez or Ocon get forced out of the sport due to this, I think it would be a complete shambles in terms of what F1 represents as a sport

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,557
    Force Canada! I am glad the team is saved. What would F1 be in 2019 with only 18 cars on the grid?

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Mondyrocks

Mondyrocks
    Ivan Fojan Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +341
    While I wholeheartedly agree with your statement the alternative may well have been both drivers out of a job next season.
    With the amount of investment this consortium is putting in, it will undoubtedly mean than Lance will be onboard next season.
    Overall that must be the lesser of two evils :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Koen Verlinde

Koen Verlinde

Ratings:
    +112
    Same as it is now.

Oh, were there more than 6 cars on the grid that actually mattered, is that what you were saying?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  9. NDG

NDG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +97
    It's common sense they'd keep the name for the rest of 2018 and keep the championship cash, but what happens in 2019? Will the Stroll group put their product names around the car? Force Canada?

10. gamer19

gamer19

Ratings:
    +555
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. NDG

NDG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +97
    I have the same feelings... though no one in the F1 media group would call them greedy... they don't dare... No gentleman consideration whatsoever.

12. Cleopatrajewell

Cleopatrajewell

Ratings:
    +1
    i think Ocon must search a new team . one Driver must go sadly

13. michelforest

michelforest

Ratings:
    +46
    Actually, not all investors are Canadian. I believe only Stroll and André Desmarais are. I know there are Americans, British and Hong Kong members of that consortium.

14. michelforest

michelforest

Ratings:
    +46
    [QUOTE="Where on earth you find that sort of capital I have no idea so whatever you think of Lawrence Stroll he's done a remarkable job of rescuing the team.

[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth: Stroll is worth 3 billion $ and is the 55th richest Canadian... André Desmarais, one of the investors, is a member of the Desmarais family which is, I believe, the 7th biggest fortune in Canada. So, basically, this is a bunch of billionaires putting their resources together. They have LOTS of money.

As I always say: there is A LOT of money out there in the world. It's just very unevenly distributed... The rich get richer every year...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Crash T Dummy

Crash T Dummy

Ratings:
    +1
    Well we know that he has heavily increased his investment into one Canadian driver.

• Haha Haha x 1
  16. Sean

Sean
    Premium

Ratings:
    +247
    They were: Williams, McLaren and Renault... medium teams at best ;) The 'big' 3 did not appear to have an issue?

But agree, how rude! One would think that the teams would have stood together to help a fellow team out. But I guess business is business and they will take any edge they can?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matt Y

Matt Y

Ratings:
    +6
    Perhaps cancelled. I read somewhere that F1 needs at least 20 cars to hold a season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +442
    mod-edit: mind your language

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  19. jpalesi

jpalesi

Ratings:
    +25
    The irony is that Perez has been called pay driver for a good part - if not the whole - of his career. And now he could be out of a decent team because someone way richer and way slower buys his way in there.

20. RobJLee

RobJLee

Ratings:
    +17
    Daddy's bought Lance his own team...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.