... and F1 cars are not hard to drive anyway, possibly the most user friendly race cars out there.

I think what's happened in the last few years is not so much the physicality of the car but just the actual forces generated on the body itself. The cars all have some form of power steering now but the brakes are still hard work over a two hour race.

The two main differences I suppose are firstly the last set of regulations, which brought about the massive increase in aerodynamics and tyre grip. So they are more physical from the point of view of being thrown around.

The second difference is drivers no longer have the luxury of going flat out all the time, they have to look after the car to enable it to last X number of races. Whether that is engine, gearbox, etc. So yes from that point of view you have a point.

On a different tact, the performance difference between something like a GP2 car and F1 is also much smaller now. When you think of the 80's or even 90's the performance jump between a junior category car and F1 was huge, that doesn't apply quite so much now. However it's unfortunate that due to the technology in something like GP2 the driver budget is approaching almost the same level as an F1 seat now.

Yes and look what Daddy Stroll did in GP2 for Lance.....google it...utter madness, Lance should be a lot better than he is with the effort and money his Daddy has chucked at him....

When you are younger you hear about people being 'born to race' a 'natural'.... truth is it takes time money and practice... all of which Lance has had gifted on a plate to him....

To see what he has had to train with, the return of not being better than some Russian who is only in F1 himself due to the deal with Putin and the Russain GP, is pretty bad and one only a father would stomach....

Wacky name
Better than force India. Only Vijay and maybe a few others where actual Indian people. Most of the team where English. So the original name was stupid. The problem is a name change can loose points and other stats scored as force India. The team has been quite competitive running behind the big 3.

Curious what naysayers like you will do if Stroll actually does well in a better car. Or better yet, beats Perez? Are you going to also be complaining that Kubica doesn't deserve a seat in F1 if Williams is still a back marker in 2019? You all seem to forget that Stroll managed a podium in 2017.
As a Canadian Citizen i am behind the young lad. From Montreal so he could be the next best thing since the Villeneve duo. Gilles and the not quite as good Jaques.

Could of been worse like calling the team
Nil Pwa

It is good to see the team saved and I kinda like these driver changes as it lets us see their talents to other established drivers. How well will Stroll do against Perez is fascinating

I relish seeing Hulk Vs Ricardo too

We're all jealous. i wish I could have afforded to go racing beyond karting. No family money, no sponsors and to be honest probably not the talent. I'll never know but I have my sims.

The point is that most drivers succeed because they have financial backing (family, government, commercial) and enough talent to get to a professional series. Unlike any other though is the requirement for a super license. All the money in the world will not buy the super license if you don't have the talent. I'm not saying he is a Max or Lewis by any means but in the same car most, if not all on the grid are going to be be only half a second behind the very best.

I am just thankful that someone or some people kept this team and its 400 employees from disappearing but I don't like the name although I thought naming a team after a energy drink was daft too.;)

yes, the name is just plain old ... boring. about as inspired as a calling your cat "tabby". glad, though, they did not pick one of the older names, the way "lotus" was rehashed over and over. i mean, if it's a group of wealthy chaps, one of them must own a firm which produces sth.? why not name it after that firm? however, if they got their money by inseminating cows, i'd rather they stick to "race point" ...

Nothing to do with sport. In sport you race if you are good enough. Here Stroll can race just because his dad buys a team. The worst part is that Stroll won'tbe able to prove anything to himself. Would he have been good enough to get there without his dad? Who knows. The podium he got in 2017 counts nothing: once you are in, everything can happen. Pastor Maldonado won a race, Eliseo Salazar scored 1 point, everything can happen. Lance, if you are a man: fire yourself - lol! - and prove that you deserve a seat!

On a different tact, the performance difference between something like a GP2 car and F1 is also much smaller now. When you think of the 80's or even 90's the performance jump between a junior category car and F1 was huge, that doesn't apply quite so much now. However it's unfortunate that due to the technology in something like GP2 the driver budget is approaching almost the same level as an F1 seat now.

You're right. When you watch onboard footage from F1 cars of the late 80's, early 90's, you can see the difference immediately. These cars were vicious, you really had to "tame" them. I'm still in awe when I watch that onboard video of Senna at Monaco. Absolutely mind-blowing. That said, I'm sure that drivers like Hamilton, Vetter or Ricciardo would also have been excellent back then. But it was almost impossible to jump from F3 straight to F1... And drivers got to F1 later in their career. Nowadays, it almost looks like a high school sometimes... :D

As a Canadian Citizen i am behind the young lad. From Montreal so he could be the next best thing since the Villeneve duo. Gilles and the not quite as good Jaques.

Gilles is the reason I became I race fan. I was 12 and I watched the 1978 Canadian GP, the first race held in my hometown. I knew nothing about F1 but I saw Gilles Villeneuve win and it was a magical moment, After that, I was a fan for life! :geek::geek::geek::geek:

I'm Not a Lance Stroll fan but I'm happy for him that he will be in a better car. Most drivers are (pay drivers) at some point Just with lance instead of only sponsors he has support from his father.
I'm not saying he deserved it over Ocon but it's just how the cards fell.

I think there will be a ton of safety cars next season. Also probably a few mid season driver changes. I don't care for the name racing point either, to me it sounds lame.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 317 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 159 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%