For motion platform users: could you driveo without it?

Everything adds to the experience. Obviously, it is not as important as having a good set of steering wheel and pedals, because these are more essential for driving. However, as well as happens with shakers, you miss it if you do not have it once you have tried it and are used to it. It is like going from a cockpit to driving sitting on a chair in front of your desk, or like going from a virtual reality headset to flat screens. If you can afford it, go for it. It helps the inmersion and is really fun and addictive to use. I am glad I went the seat mover route (short, fast and precise movements, and very easy to install and configure).

Upvote 0
Now that i have it there is no way i could go back to a static rig. I dont think it will make you faster but you definitely pick up on things you cant feel with just a wheel. Ive got an sfx100 and absolutely love it. So much so that ill be adding double traction loss next.

Upvote 0
@Elaphe I dont want to be the one to tell you, the transport operator should have told you but your head didnt make it through the rematerialisation process properly.

I love my motion, it would still be somewhere down the list. good rig, wheel, pedals, I would all spend good money on theose before the multi thousand I would spend on motion.

Someone asked me a little while ago about what I would do if starting up from scratch if I had to save up for things bit by bit.. of course some things you have to get together but I would go

8020 rig
dd wheel
good pedals
small tactile (to be built on later)
motion like SFX
more tactile

I always use my motion and love it. I can drive without it for sure, I never drive without tactile. The last time I turned off motion was in a competitive league race where it was quite bumpy in vr at a particular place and I was losing time because of it. Otherwise it adds a lot to immersion and that was the first time I had to turn it off.

Upvote 0
Now that i have it there is no way i could go back to a static rig. I dont think it will make you faster but you definitely pick up on things you cant feel with just a wheel. Ive got an sfx100 and absolutely love it. So much so that ill be adding double traction loss next.
Do you also have tactile?

@commandant.brioche , thank you for this thread, excellent question.

i am particularly interested in what is most important to feel with motion, is suspension travel the big ticket item? Braking and acceleration ?

Upvote 0

i am particularly interested in what is most important to feel with motion, is suspension travel the big ticket item? Braking and acceleration ?
Motion and tactile complement each other well, what I like from motion I cannot get from tactile is the heave effect. Tactile with road noise keeping up immersion is good but those bumps in the road that give you short sharp heaves are very different and I like that.

Personally I dont use large amounts of roll to feel the banking but I do use roll for bumps, sausage kerbs etc when your car gets launched. So my roll is largely done off vertical acelleration rather than position, if that makes sense.

I put the seatbelt tensioner in to the same area as motion and I think that is great as well. I dont use a lot of pitch for surge under braking because the belt pulls me back but a judicious amount of pitching back under acceleration is nice. Although in VR without motion compensation it is also an effect that changes your view a bit. I may have it set to a bit more if I add motion compensation.

There are some things that are always nice, eg turn 1 at watkins where you hit that apex right and depending on car you really feel the suspension compressing and rebounding. There are many effect motion gives you you cant get otherwise but I would have to say that heave is a big part of it and why personally I would always go with a platform mover rather than seat mover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it like driving without force feedback wheel? Or bass shakers? (The only devices i own that help a lot with immersion )
Once you've tried, could you race without having them?
Or is it really a must have if one can afford them?
What about traction loss? Is it as indispensable as pitch, roll, heave?
Yes it's like driving without force feedback

I spend years on upgrading, developing and optimizing my motion/tactile rig.

Every single minute i spend simracing is because i like the experience of being immersed in the simulation of driving in a race car.

Without that immersion, i just don't enjoy it any more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yes i started with tactile like most of us but there is no replacement for actual motion. Once you have motion and get it set up properly you get so many ah ha moments when you can actually feel what the car is doing. I dont think there is one specific thing that is the most important because you need all of them.

Upvote 0
The funny part is that when you add really good tactile, I could completely give up motion for track racing.

For Rally and flight, motion adds a lot more to the immersion than on a track.

The combination of excellent FFB, tactile and a G-Belt does an outstanding job by itself at least in VR.

Upvote 0
Actually, that made me wonder: g belt without VR... Yes or no?
Yes, definitely. I have a valve index and triple screens. I've not used the index for about a year. It's personal preference, VR is definitely more immersive, but for me personally the negatives of vr outweigh the benefits (mostly the hassle of getting it working and troubleshooting when it's not, plus not being able to see my fancy steering wheels :D ). The g-belt works perfectly with my triples and gives a lot of immersion.

I'm the same with tactile. It's fantastic, but for me personally the negatives outweigh the positives, so I now run it without. Basically it made my rig too noisy. It meant I couldn't race when my fiancée was working from home in the evenings. For me, being able to race without worrying about disturbing anyone else makes it more enjoyable than the immersion that tactile gives.

If the noise weren't an issue then I would definitely use tactile, and would probably put it ahead of motion in terms or immersion.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply...I have one buttkicker right under my ass. With simhub, it's giving feedback for road texture, road impacts and gear shift... I definetely love it and wouldn't want to race without but I'm wondering if I'm missing something... when I'm reading that some would put it ahead of motion (disclaimer: my motion system is on the way but I really have very little experience about motion systems )

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years