Footwear for Sim Racing

I was just wondering, what do people wear on their feet for sim racing? I've been playing wearing only socks for years now but the treadplate on my pedal set digs in to my heels and my socks have all got holes in them! I was thinking about some cheap footwear to use instead. One thing that I like about wearing socks is that it allows your feet to slide over the pedals (I find myself resting my heels on the floor as a pivot and allowing the pedal to slide when I depress them). When I've played barefoot in the past it's meant that my feet grip to the pedals and I've had to suspend my feet above the floor in order to use them, something which I would liken to balancing on one leg without a wall to lean on! Do proper racing shoes slip, or grip? And is there a cheap option available? Cheers.

search for barefoot shoes on Amazon. lots of cheap options with thin, flexible soles so you can feel the pedals well. I bought a pair for $40 and they turned out so comfortable I even wear them around the house.

I used to race in socks with my V3 pedals but when I got HE Ultimate+ pedals they were too stiff for my bare feet

Last edited:
search for barefoot shoes on Amazon. lots of cheap options with thin, flexible soles so you can feel the pedals well. I bought a pair for $40 and they turned out so comfortable I even wear them around the house.

I used to race in socks with my V3 pedals but when I got HE Ultimate+ pedals they were too stiff for my bare feet
Here´s where I got the Idea for "water shoes"

They are light, inexpensive and very good "for the feeling" :rolleyes:

I´m using my HSV Sprints on 65KG´s with them, no problems with my feet hurting.

MFG Carsten
Thanks for the recommendations guys, both searches give me lots of results to search through. I guess it's a case of judging by the pictures which would be the best option.
Cube controls has some sim racing socks for sale, has anybody tried those? Can they be significantly different from normal socks?
They look interesting, I notice that Sparco also make socks designed for sim racing. The only reservation I would have about these is that they might wear through after sustained use. I've had problems wearing holes in my regular socks in this way. I would think that they were more hard-wearing than that though (hopefully!).

As you already know the wear points on your socks it should be possible to check the simracing socks for reinforcements.

My watershoes have a rounded heel which allows the turning movement from gas to brake and vice versa.

They don´t show much wear, but feel a little less firm than they were new.
I might have to replace them every 15 month (or 60.000 km´s ;))

MFG Carsten

Do you have a puma outlet store near you?
I bought a pair of Mercedes racing shoes several yrs back on sale for $50
71XBL4QHzNL._AC_UX395_.jpg

Last edited:
As you already know the wear points on your socks it should be possible to check the simracing socks for reinforcements.

My watershoes have a rounded heel which allows the turning movement from gas to brake and vice versa.

They don´t show much wear, but feel a little less firm than they were new.
I might have to replace them every 15 month (or 60.000 km´s ;))

MFG Carsten
Good point, I'll dig out a pair with some obvious holes and compare them. Maybe you could part-ex your old shoes when you're done with them, or break them for parts? :laugh:

Do you have a puma outlet store near you?
I bought a pair of Mercedes racing shoes several yrs back on sale for $50
Puma Drift Cat 6 are quite nice, good median between all out racing boots and comfortable footwear, great looking too.
View attachment 533313
Don't have an outlet store near me as far as I'm aware, but those do look nice. I like the thinness of the soles, definitely a thing I was looking for. Thanks for you recommendations!

I use a pair of "Speed Milan KS-2". Very comfy and with a thin rubber sole.
They look nice too, thanks for that. I think that karting shoes are another avenue to explore!

So many options...

Contrary to gloves, I have never paid much attention to footwear for sim racing. I don't think it makes much difference, apart from being a bit more comfortable. I don't think I need that extra sensitivity on my feet as much as I need grip on my hands. Also, I'm not sure if I would really bother taking off my mountain shoes (yes, that's what I wear, even on my cockpit) and putting on my driving shows whenever I want to go for a ride. This said, I also think that maybe if I buy some nice driving shoes, that could encourage me to try them, get used to driving with them and finally find the benefits of using them. I have taken a look at some unexpensive models I must say the Pumas are quite nice. I love this combination of black, white and red.

Zapatillas-de-automovilismo-Scuderia-Ferrari-Ridge-Cat

Last edited:
Pumas all the way. Got a pair of these on sale a few years back.
images
Now have a pair of DriftCats, too. Always seem to be onsale somewhere.
Absolutely necessary for heel-toe shifting

I raced in socks for about a year, then got a set of Puma racing shoes as a gift. It was such a different feeling with shoes on and I felt like I lost fine control so I just went back to socks. I probably am wearing my socks quickly but it is not really an issue I have noticed. I spotted those sparco socks as well and was considering a set. Actually had them on my Christmass list but I don't think my wife wanted to buy me socks as a gift.

Used swim shoes for a while but it makes for uncomfortable h&t and also I'd get quite bad pain in my ankle/heel when driving continuously for 2-3hrs. Now using Sparco K-Poles and they're fantastic, nice and light with great ankle/heel support

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 154 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.7%