Foot pedals and other movable objects

Tim Ling

It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have a problem with foot pedals that move at just the wrong time. How do you avoid this problem? I'm considering a piece of wood fixed under my desk to stop them from moving backwards, but that will have to wait for a while (unless I can get someone to do it for me.)
(Right hand isn't working to well at the moment)

The other issue I have found is the angle of the foot pedals (I have a Logitech Formula Force EX). It almost forces me to use left foot braking, and then my right doesnt come off the throttle properly...DOH!

Any help is appreciated

tim i have a old candy box behind my pedals to keep them at the wanted position, i can smash the brake pedal as hard as i want and they move not a inch

try to get used to left food braking its way faster for the angel try to adjust it with your seat maybe rise your position a bit or lower it if possible

for the shifting a friend who lost a hand in a bike crash drives from time to time nascar or something and he shifts up using the shiftpaddle for downshift he use a button
on the same side of the weel
may give it a try :)

• Mikko Lashay

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have a problem with foot pedals that move at just the wrong time. How do you avoid this problem? I'm considering a piece of wood fixed under my desk to stop them from moving backwards, but that will have to wait for a while (unless I can get someone to do it for me.)

The solution for me was the piece of wood below the desk as you said, when I used the same wheel as you. If it is very annoying for you, there are wheels with pedals having plastic spikes underneath (e.g Logitech Momo Force) and pin to the carpet. Very practical, don't move at all, more possible to pull the table to your side than push the pedals backwards.

The other issue I have found is the angle of the foot pedals (I have a Logitech Formula Force EX). It almost forces me to use left foot braking, and then my right doesnt come off the throttle properly...DOH!

Maybe their design makes it difficult. I agree with Michael Herrmann about left foot braking.

If it is very annoying for you, there are wheels with pedals having plastic spikes underneath (e.g Logitech Momo Force) and pin to the carpet. Very practical, don't move at all, more possible to pull the table to your side than push the pedals backwards.

That depends on the type of carpet. The carpet in my house is quite soft and the spikes in the Momo don't hold too well against it. In my old house the carpet was harder and the pedals didn't ever slide back.
But now I have to be careful so as not to push my pedals back. It still holds a bit, but not so well.

I have the opposite problem, my pedals don't move, but my chair will tend to roll backwards under heavy braking, so i have to wedge the chair wheels in place before pitting out :). Neil

lol, that's typical Murphy's Law stuff right there
:D

My flooring is wood laminate, so spikes is a no-no :becky: Most of the time the plastic/rubber feet do a reasonable job, but it's normally at the time you want total concentration they move slightly and wreck the moment.

Piece of wood it is I think. I could ask my dad to help, but his D.I.Y is worse than mine :p

Hey Tim

I got fed up of the exact same issue or shooting across the room on my office chair when trying to outbrake someone
... so with no major tools or skills, I knocked this together in a couple of hours for about a tenner (not including optional paint upgrade :wink:):
http://forum.racedepartment.com/cockpits/25-show-your-cockpit-15.html#post127078

Check the rest of the above thread too, lots of people have posted their cockpits up - might be something else quick and simple that you could do ...

Monica will do the trick

Dig this: my noobie race setup, in place in well under two minutes on race nights.
Notice the Bill Clinton Biography holding the pedals in place. In very tight corners you can actually hear Monica moan ...

01racechairha4.jpg

Shot with i733 at 2008-09-01

oh, and don't ask about the pink hen, this is a family computer ...

• Christian Dorsey

Ive seen two solutions. put sticky back velcro on the bottom of the pedal platform using the hook side to grip the carpet. Use 2" wide version.

The other is to drill 4 or more holes in the bottom plate and install the soft rubber golf spikes. They both offer good grip on carpet. Logitech G25 already uses the golf spike solution.

• Westwards

Tim

Looking at your pic it seems you have speakers or similar under the desk. If you put a piece of wood on the floor across the corner behind them (to stop them moving) and another piece across the floor in front of them you should be able to rest your pedal box against the front block. Simple solution requiring no DIY skills apart from either finding or cutting the appropriate size pieces of wood.

Thanks for the idea Westwards, but the speakers dont touch the wall at the back, and will be moving soon anyway. However, a piece of wood touching the wall will do the same thing, without much skill needed. Time to find my tape measure!

• Westwards

If the speakers are going it is probably easier to simply fix a piece of wood in the right place across the gap between the desk legs. Just screw it to the legs with a couple of square blocks which you can either make from offcuts or buy plastic ones from any DIY shed.

K

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing