Floating Cars ??

With anything other than epic shadows, my system shows the cars in a way that look like the cars are slightly floating along the track instead of rolling.
Also the car shadow edges flicker and wobble.
It looks really stupid and I'm hoping someone can help with settings.
I presume that I've done something wrong and the shadows don't actually have to be on epic to get rid of hovercars...?

Same for me. Just as the OP mentioned cars seem to be afloat without shadows maxxed out. Unfortunately I have to cut some corners there. Also use the "I got my FPS back!" hacks posted here on the forums, which does not really help in that department, but improve on smoothness massively.

Interesting to read that this might also be connected to resolution. Unfortunately I am limited here, too.

Any pointers welcome also from my side.

I watched Nicki Thiims channel the other day. Besides him constantly saying that he is much impressed with the physics and weight transfer of ACC and how this is way superior to iRacing, he mentioned floating cars and how stupid that looks more than once.
If you know his nature, you can imagine how he expressed his feelings about this. :roflmao:

Shadows seem to be a big problem in ACC, like the Shadows poping up in front of your car or alongside and the devs seem to have no clue how to change that. Quote out of the official ACC forum about the poping up shadows: "it's as smooth as possible.."

As mentioned I've seen this before too and I'm running at 1440p

Do you get this all the time or is it intermittent? Which graphics card are you using?

Shadows seem to be a big problem in ACC, like the Shadows poping up in front of your car or alongside and the devs seem to have no clue how to change that.

I’m running at 1440p and have none of these issues (6700k, GTX 1080, settings mostly epic or high). However, I can understand how frustrating it must be for those who do. I can also see the problem Kunos would have trying to determine what’s causing it as many people don’t seem to be affected.

I don't think it is hardware or resolution depended, if you think you don't have the issue, you just have not noticed it yet.
Example on Monza

Maybe the underlying problem is the same for this and shadows under the car, who knows, there are several threads about that in the official forum but no dev answered.

Do you get this all the time or is it intermittent? Which graphics card are you using?

I’m running at 1440p and have none of these issues (6700k, GTX 1080, settings mostly epic or high). However, I can understand how frustrating it must be for those who do. I can also see the problem Kunos would have trying to determine what’s causing it as many people don’t seem to be affected.

Only seems to happen when shadows are set lower than 'epic'. I'm running a 5700xt

I don't think it is hardware or resolution depended, if you think you don't have the issue, you just have not noticed it yet.
Example on Monza

Maybe the underlying problem is the same for this and shadows under the car, who knows, there are several threads about that in the official forum but no dev answered.

Yes that's very annoying at Monza. Happens at most other tracks too when you see shadows appear on the armco barriers

So you think some (many) of us are just not as observant as you? That we comment on things without actually checking them out?

Perhaps it’s just very difficult to diagnose something that doesn’t seem to happen to everyone (or that the devs can’t reproduce). Look at Monza races on YouTube - do the cars always seem to be floating? The same applies to other tracks.

Last edited:
You have control over two parameters, shadow distance, which sets the size of the shadow map and shadow quality, which sets the resolution. The former sets how far the dynamic shadows are rendered, the latter defines how crisp it is.
I recommend keeping shadow distance higher than quality, and actually keeping the distance quite high at all times as it's not as heavy as shadow quality.

Higher image resolution of course needs higher settings because the rendered image consists of more pixels, thus the same shadow map covers a smaller area.

All the engine.ini tweaks and magic settings tend to turn off shadows or turn them down significantly, so don't expect wonders there.

Under-car shadow are only visible when they are shadowed by the dynamic shadow due to how ambient occlusion works in the engine. So if you turn down your dynamic shadows, you'll also likely lose the fake shadows under the car.

So you think some (many) of us are just not as observant as you? That we comment on things without actually checking them out?

I just said, you maybe didn't notice it yet, no need to feel personally attacked.

Perhaps it’s just very difficult to diagnose something that doesn’t seem to happen to everyone (or that the devs can’t reproduce). Look at Monza races on YouTube - do the cars always seem to be floating? The same applies to other tracks.

As is also said, according to the devs it's a smooth as possible, so they know about it, it's just hard to believe, that something like you saw in the video is as smooth as possible. Maybe it is that way to help the performance and they are working on it, but would be nice if a dev could clarify that.

All the engine.ini tweaks and magic settings tend to turn off shadows or turn them down significantly, so don't expect wonders there.

Yeah, no need to bother with .ini settings, i tried many and it didn't help.

I just said, you maybe didn't notice it yet, no need to feel personally attacked.

Not feeling anything personal, but that's not what you said - "if you think you don't have the issue, you just have not noticed it yet" - no "maybe" in there. Don't assume that just because you get it, everyone else must (or that they just haven't noticed). I don't doubt that some people have this problem:

1580496804687.png

(taken from a post on the official site), but I don't.

Not feeling anything personal, but that's not what you said - "if you think you don't have the issue, you just have not noticed it yet" - no "maybe" in there. Don't assume that just because you get it, everyone else must (or that they just haven't noticed). I don't doubt that some people have this problem:

Ok, good for you you don't have any of those issues i couldn't fix with different settings or .ini tweaks and i saw on every video or stream of ACC so far.
What settings (or other tweaks in the driver or .ini) do you run?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 110 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%