Flickering on some tracks

Hi everyone. I have an issue with texture flickering on some tracks. Seems to mostly affect ads and trees. I think it's most noticeable on older tracks of the game like Monza, Brno, Macau and only from interior view. It also happens only on specific turns/spots. Has anyone found a solution for this? I think I tried everything but to no avail. I have a GTX 1660TI and I5 9400f, maybe my hardware is just too modern? I don't have such issues in GTR2 (with Anniversary patch).

Tracks affected:
Brno 2006
Monza 2006
Macau 2006
Monza 2007
Brno 2007
Macau 2007
Monza 2008
Brno 2008
Monza 2010
Brno 2010

It seems Macau 2008 and 2010 have a lot less flickering than 2006 and 2007 variants.

Last edited:
I just did some quick tests here, and it doesn't look like that here (GTX 1050).
I actually don't have those billboards at least not on the 07 versions of the track.
What game version do you use? Steam or no Steam?

We may have to ask @GTR233 how they improved GTR2, it might be possible to do the same thing here :)

Steam version, the tracks shown are 2006 variants.

EDIT: Tried Brno 2007, it's the same as 2006 pretty much, it's very bad, the worst track I've seen so far in terms of flicering. multiple corners have flickering similar to what I posted above. The trees flicker a lot on some corners as well as the green barriers. My video didn't do it justice to be honest...

Added a list of affected tracks to the first post. It's not a full list though as I didn't test them all yet.

Last edited:
Flickering can be difficult to fix in some cases : by example I was not able to fix headlights flickering at Targa Florio whereas it is quite easy for other tracks.

For gtr2, in most cases, increasing clipplanes values to (0.5 , 999000) in TRK is enough to fix headlights...but not tree flickering which is mostly due to narrow textures (game doesn't know which texture to show in foreground first so both are displayed alternatively), it happens also on billboards with front/back textures : in this case the fix is to edit gmt in order to add more space between maps planes.

Brno flickers too in gtr2 (mainly trees), I know that @Bjarne Hansen has edited trees for this track to reduce flicker.

Moreover, steam/digital EXE version shows more flickering than nocd/disc version.

Last edited:
Yes the most obvious fix is to move the objects. The strange thing is that it looks better on my computer, probably it works better on some graphics cards. I only have the usual materials stransparency drawing order problem.

A few things to try.
First try to run Race 07 in windows mode.
Sure annoying with the windows border but did it help?
If it helps you can download
And run race 07 in borderless windows mode.

Another option are to install Nvidia Inspector.
Select steam Race 07 in the menu and find the menu entry Antialialising compatibility! (dx9)
Several works but I use Diablo III
Now you can run race 07 in full screen mode.
This above works for all gmotor2 games .

Last are the individual cam files.
They might be encrypted so you will need to unpack with wtcced
Change the near clip plane in cockpitview.
ClipPlanes=(0.1000, 1500.000000) change that to
ClipPlanes=(0.2000, 1500.000000) or higher.
That will help on the zbuffer flicker. Not sure why they set it t 0.1 as I have not seen a car you can use 0.2 with.
The Brno track does have some other issues where the above will not fix it completely.
A few trees have to be removed as are to close together and the green tire wall covers have to be distanced a little from the tire wall.
Only made it for he 2010 Brno version.

For some reason it just doesn't want to work in windowed mode. It just reverts to fullscreen. However... I tried running the game in 144hz G-Sync and while flickering is still there it's a bit less noticeable and I think I can live with it. I didn't try the clip planes solution yet, I'd rather not decrypt the files though, they propably encypted them because they didn't want us to mess with them but I'm propably overexaggerating a bit.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years