Flatspotting

IMO its another "back of the net" moment for RF2.
Now when I drive I have to look after tyres like I paid for them. One bad lock up and the wheel vibrates like hell.
One more step into immersion. I love it.

just did 30 mins in the FR3.5 and man its awesome with this tyre model. Front left lock up trying to save a position and in my mind I knew that was gonna hurt and as soon as I hit the straight massive vibes in the wheel! Another level of immersion!! Brilliant ISI!

just did 30 mins in the FR3.5 and man its awesome with this tyre model. Front left lock up trying to save a position and in my mind I knew that was gonna hurt and as soon as I hit the straight massive vibes in the wheel! Another level of immersion!! Brilliant ISI!
Isnt it just.
Another subtle way to attack! Force the other guy to lock up with a bad entry.

I have only driven GT cars since the update and it seems, that you can get away with a slight lock-up, but when you lock them for 1 or 2 seconds you are really screwed in terms of vibrations, but it depends on the cars. The Apex Modding cars have relatively low FFB in a straight line and with them you don't really feel the vibrations, so you are not really punished for it.

Thought I would revive this as flatspotting is the reason I gave up on rf2 3.5 years ago. I'm having another go and I'm really enjoying what's been done in that time but......... Lol there's always a but! I still struggle with flatspotting and I know people will say just don't lock up but as hard as I try not to, I just do. It's getting to the point where I'm scared to brake and end up missing the turns and going straight on. I don't want to be pitting every lap and while I'm sure it all adds to the sim, I just wish it was a bit more forgiving. What do you think

I think it adds to the realism of the sim and is spot on, I wouldn't change it.
If you keep flat spotting the tires (to the point of wanting to quit the game) all I can suggest is turn tire wear off or set the ABS aid to either low or medium until you learn how to brake properly without constant flat spotting.
Another possible reason is if you're locking after even barely pressing on the brakes, the sensitivity of your brake pedal might be too high (you can adjust that on the controls menu).

Front worn down brake pads / disk brake can feels excatly like a flatspot.
Your steering wheel starts to rattle.
After I started to add some thick ness to those ( can be done on some the cars ) I dont get that rattling any more.

It made a big difference for me when i purchased a fairly inexpensive Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro on a Holiday sale for $100 USA which uses a conical brake mod. Use to use a G25.

Your better but more expensive options would be a Fanatec CSL Elite which uses a load cell brake for $199.95 USA or Clubsport pedals at $329.95 USA.

Using ABS is a far cheaper option if it's available but some classes like Studio 397's Norma M30 LMP3 from their Endurance Pack neither use anti-lock brakes nor traction control.

Last edited:
To clearly identity if you are flatspotting, drive a track aggressively until you do get the shakes/flatspotting. Then repeat the process with TIRE WEAR turned off. If you do not get flatspotting while driving the same aggressive style, then we have identified it truly is your driving style that is causing flatspotting. Now...the OP said 3 years ago he had issues, I wasn't using rF2 at that time, but did they have a tire file 3 years ago with flatspotting?
Finally a few hints to reduce flatspotting.
ABS(as stated above)
Reduce your brake pedal pressure in the setup menus.
try adjusting your front/rear brake bias.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 388 39.9%