Fixing Pit Exit AI

Hi All,

I've searched around for some answers but was unable to find something relevant, please let me know if there is a better place to post this.

I am trying to simulate some 1988 CART races with AI using the HSO mod and tracks.The cars feel great but the big struggle has been getting the AI to work well. I am having a particular problem with the AI at the 1988 Indy track. I noticed on pit exit the AI comes to a near stop on the back straightaway when it is merging with the racing line. I have taken a look at the AIW file and it seems like the blue pit line connects with the green fast line correctly.

Does anyone have advise on a parameter or common reason the AI would slow abruptly at the merge point? I assume there is some setting somewhere that controls merge speed, or maybe the lines need to be laid out differently.

Appreciate the help!

Could you post a screengrab of the merge point in AIW editor? I´ll be honest, unless you have the rfactor version it can be an absolute pain to modify, and even then in ISI´s editor you have to set the branch location before most of the rest of the AIW. Sounds like the blue line doesn´t merge gradually enough with the green one, they should run as parallel as possible before meeting.

Thanks for the speedy response!

When I noticed the issue originally I took a look at the AIW lines and noted that it seemed like there was quite an abrupt leap from the blue to the green line.

I tried adjusting this by editing the position in the editor. I don't have very much experience though and may have done it incorrectly (the red lines moved as well).

Either way the edit did not work and the cars still slowed to almost a stop before they pick up the racing line.

Hi there,

I did fiddle a bit with pit lane entry while editing Macau's AIW for personal usage.
How did you smooth out the lines? By having the last pit lane WP connecting to a further race line WP? (=by editing the WP_PTRS)

Last edited:
Hi there,

I did fiddle a bit with pit lane entry while editing Macau's AIW for personal usage.
How did you smooth out the lines? By having last pit lane WP connecting to a further race line WP? (=by editing the WP_PTRS)

In my screenshot the line still connects at the same position, I haven't found a way to extend it. I just moved each point one by one to make it a more gradual connection, but it hasn't seemed to help the issue.

OK so you can have you pit lane line connect further down the race line. What you need to do is edit the WP_PTRS values. Here's an example:

Temp.png

What you want is to edit the WP_PTRS values. 1st value is "previous WP", 2nd: "next WP", 3rd: can't remember now, 4th: "0"=main race line or "1"=pit line. So I would make sure that the last pit lane WP (#1451 in my example) has its 2nd WP_PTRS value set to a race line WP which is located further down the track (WP #178 in my example). I would try to mix that with smooth line joining. I would make sure that the WP it connects to is not located backwards.
You could try to select a race line WP significantly further. AI should be able to calculate a path and accelerate.

I didn't test much but that's what I would try.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back