Fixing messed up windshields on mod cars using CM

axeracing

25RPM
Jun 4, 2011
Is there an easy way to fix messed up windshields and windows using CM?

I have some old mod cars that need some help. One car i can't drive because i can't see out of the windshield. Just a blurry mess and not transparent. A few others have an issue where the opponent cars are not visible through the windows. Weird...

I was messing around with CM Showroom and found where to select the window, and there are check boxes that have transparent checked, so that isn't the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Stereo

3000RPM
Dec 22, 2009
This is about the sum of settings that you need to have for inside windshields to work right.

ksAlphaRef doesn't need to be this exact value, just something between 0 and 1

I can't find the object settings offhand in CM but isTransparent should also be true.

If the mod uses the same object for inner/outer glass you won't be able to just fix it from CM.

axeracing

25RPM
Jun 4, 2011
Hmm... I guess the 2 i've been messing with are beyond repair.

The first one uses the same object for inner and outer. No matter what i try as far as settings go, still the same blurry mess.

The second one, while it uses inner and outer objects, all of the windows are one object. I imagine that may have something to do with not being able to see opponent cars through the windows.

Oh well, can't hurt to try!
Thanks for your help!

Mascot

Card-carrying mod whore
Jul 13, 2014
Is there an easy way to fix messed up windshields and windows using CM?

I have some old mod cars that need some help. One car i can't drive because i can't see out of the windshield. Just a blurry mess and not transparent. A few others have an issue where the opponent cars are not visible through the windows. Weird...

I was messing around with CM Showroom and found where to select the window, and there are check boxes that have transparent checked, so that isn't the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?
Posted yesterday on GTP:
You need to unpack the kn5 file with CM unpacker in the showroom (check developer options and kn5 unpacker) and open the FBX with Kunos editor. There you select every window glass and check the window glass is set to: eAlphaBlend and the IsTransparent option is set to "true" and CastShadow is set to false. Glasses MUST be all like this, it's mandatory.

Also, try different versions of the Custom Shader Patch (it's a one-click option now in the settings) as this can sometimes cause or cure weird opaque glass and blacked-out mirrors with mod cars. The issue might not be car-related, it might be a bug or conflict in the current CSP (but it's probably the car).

Reactions: katikomer

DenisRicer

1RPM
Oct 19, 2018
Hey, I know this thread is old, but none of the thing they say here seemed to fix my issue, so I searched and eventually found this fix and felt like it was important to tell y'all about it so people researching this will find my solution and hopefully it will fix it for them as well.

So you use content manager, go to the CM showroom, select the inner glass (very important to be the inner or it won't work) then click the three little dots next to the material, then click change value and make sure all the settings with "fresnel" in the name are set to 0. The fresnel effect is the culprit of the motion blur in many of the vehicles that have this problem, it worked on all the ones I've tried so far.

Feb 16, 2018
Hey, I know this thread is old, but none of the thing they say here seemed to fix my issue, so I searched and eventually found this fix and felt like it was important to tell y'all about it so people researching this will find my solution and hopefully it will fix it for them as well.

So you use content manager, go to the CM showroom, select the inner glass (very important to be the inner or it won't work) then click the three little dots next to the material, then click change value and make sure all the settings with "fresnel" in the name are set to 0. The fresnel effect is the culprit of the motion blur in many of the vehicles that have this problem, it worked on all the ones I've tried so far.
Unfortunately, this hasn't worked for me. Currently the Porsche 901 by AssettoDrive, Honda S2000 by Gentle Mind Performance and Acura NSX 2017 by Velosmodsworkshop have all had blurry windscreen textures for me. the Inner glass textures for all of them use "ksPerPixelReflection" and not "KsWindscreen" but I cannot find where to change this. Can someone please help me? I am using the latest version of Content Manager and Custom Shaders Patch. The only fix for me is to go back into previous versions of content manager but I lose a lot of features like dynamic brake wear and 3D Grass that I really want to keep. Thank You

altug

1RPM
May 14, 2014
I still have that ghosting motion issue on some modded car's onboard cams. I tried to change all values of windshield material, or import settings from kunos cars, also tried a different diffuse texture, none of them solved with latest csp builds.

edit: after I found a fully transparent dds for diffuse texture use, seems it solved the issue.

Last edited:

Leitcharound

25RPM
Feb 18, 2018
anyone still getting issues with this? Even after that shader patch update, still get blurriness for example with the Ford Sierra and even my old fix of changing the glass texture to a transparent file i made isn't working anymore :( If i turn of TAA it works but game looks like complete dirt even with all the other graphics settings turned up to full.

Leitcharound

25RPM
Feb 18, 2018
Found a fix that works quite well and turns out with the sierra I had to change to Alpha testing on the windscreen decals as well as the interior glass as well.

2112ricky

1RPM
Apr 11, 2020
769C0F65-CAD9-48AB-ADBD-07567CDE6619.jpeg
Sorry to revive an semi old thread, i'm having trouble on some mod cars on replay while they are far away they look like this you can see through them, i cant seem to get to the windows in cm is there a fix for this?

insec7

1RPM
Jul 29, 2017

THANK YOU MY MAN

Mikke73

25RPM
Premium
Jun 29, 2020
I still haven't been able to fix Sierra (also some other car mods). When I try to get screenshots with DoF, part of the windshield decal is blurry. If I disable DoF, everything is ok. Also, the blurry part changes depending on the camera position and the amount of DoF I'm using.

Here's an example with another car mod, Suzuki Alto ha23v. Check out the Suzuki decal in the windshield, the problem is the same with Sierra.

EDIT: Found out that at least in this case the problem might be that all of the windows are one object, and the blurred side window and rear window are shown through the decal. Also, the decal isn't showing at all from the cockpit view with this skin (other skins of the same mod show decal from the cockpit).
I'll see if I can fix this, now that I know what the actual problem is.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
Jul 30, 2016
I can't find the object settings offhand in CM but isTransparent should also be true.
This one single tip completely saved me just now from pulling my hair out ;-)

I tried for days to fix the glass objects on a car and (thought) I tried every permutation of shader settings to make it happen but completely overlooked this one super important detail in KSeditor!

PS: for everyone wondering - I do believe this flag can sadly not be altered in CM (just as you cannot change the actual shader used directly in CM). You have to set this flag in KSeditor.

Here is the easiest way I am currently jumping back and fore between KSeditor and CM to make such shader changes:

1) initially set your correct shaders on all objects in KSeditor
2) export the KN5 file and open it in CM
3) make all shader changes as desired
4) "unpack KN5" in CM (this will create among others a fresh persistence file with all your shader edits in CM)
5) load FBX file with new CM created persistence file into KSeditor to make any more "deep" shader settings (which are inaccessable in CM directly)
6) export to KN5 and you are done

At any given time I want to do a deep change in shaders now I simply unpack KN5 in CM, do the change in KSeditor and go back to CM to make my shader adjustments.

I make it a habit to always "unpack KN5" in CM after any major shader adjustments to create a fresh persistence file which I then drop into my project folder (together with my Blender file, texture folder) so when I need to make an edit in the 3D objects or in teh structure in Blender I can go straight to KSeditor (loading the last CM created persistence file) and have all my latest edits perfectly intact.