F1 2013 First time wheel-er

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
So I'm getting a DFGT after holding it off for a long time, and I can't wait to finally switch from the iffy gamepad racing to racing with an actual racing wheel.

I'm pretty good with the gamepad, never learned to manual shift because it simply didn't work out with the gamepad of having to press a button whilst using a thumb to turn and so on.

So now i'm getting a wheel, I know that the first time, the second time, and a lot of times afterwards my times will be a lot worse than I got on the gamepad because I'm learning to steer/shift/throttle/brake ''proper'' this time around.

But to the people on RaceDep with years of experience with wheels, what is the biggest advice you guys can give me when it comes to coming to grips with the wheel and becoming better and surpassing my gamepad driving?

Is it smart to just start out driving manual the first time, or am I better off sticking with auto until I learn to use the steering wheel instead?
Any help, tips, assistance is greatly appreciated.

PS: I also heard something about using a programme to set-up macros on your steering wheel, so you can switch fuel mixes, brake balances, and tyre choices with one button press. Could anyone point me in the right direction for that?

HI mate, definately go straight for manual gears in my opinion and basically it's just down to practice and messing with settings. What suits one person may not suit another but I'm sure someone with that wheel will be along to help.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 124 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.8%