Cars First time modding a car and I'm completely lost in ksEditor

Hi,
I'm trying to modify a Type-R Civic into a diesel Type-S and everything performance wise went totally fine but I'm totally lost with textures.
Right now I'm trying to change the tachometer and I get this... ****

1601340541223.png

Honestly I have no idea which texture is which and everything I try is a complete failure and I'm really starting to give up.

I managed to flip it and turn it back into LHD with Blender and also remove unwanted parts but if can't texture the model it's useless.

I also made this.
1601340793634.png

It's the real tach of my car but again I have no idea where to put it. If I only could just replace textures into the model like... any other game on Earth actually that would have been great. :/

I'll be thankful if anyone can help me with this. I found several good threads here but each one is making me even more confused.

Last edited:
You need to get textures going earlier in the process than that.
When you load an fbx file in kseditor, you need to have this specific file structure:
\car.fbx
\car.fbi.ini
\texture\[all textures].dds

Any texture that's not in that subfolder won't load when you open the fbx, and the texture names are stored in the ini file, without it it doesn't know what materials to use.

Other than that you should do basic setup in the kseditor, which is pick the Illumination tab at the bottom and change weather/ppfx to normal settings (defaults are fog + black&white), change the window size to how you want it, and click on the top bar Layouts>Save Current

It's also not a good sign that you can see suspension, wheel etc. objects in that list. That means your blender file is missing necessary objects for AC.

Last edited:
Yep, this is what I did, except I don't have the ini file. Is there a way to generate it or am I missing something?
Here are the textures. Most are untouched, there aren't many differences between the Type-R and street version.
1601344328766.png

Speaking of the model though... the Type-R is working fine ingame but I've been suspecting it's an uncredited import from some game and all these nodes are gonna cause trouble at one point or another. Do you think it's fixable?

Honestly it drives fine and handle mostly like my real car but I really wanted to make it look like it, too.

Other than that you should do basic setup in the kseditor, which is pick the Illumination tab at the bottom and change weather/ppfx to normal settings (defaults are fog + black&white), change the window size to how you want it, and click on the top bar Layouts>Save Current
Done, thanks.

Last edited:
As you can see I got it back into LHD which I feel would already be an awful lot of problems on its own if all those objects on the right weren't here too. Maybe I'm wrong and they should be here though, I have no clue as this is really the first car I try to mod.

1601345086379.png

Last edited:
The ini file is created with KSEditor and then goes with the fbx, if you don't have one then you need to go through every NULL and manually pick the correct texture for that material, then hit "Save persistence" in the editor's file menu. Normally whatever tool you use to turn a kn5 into an fbx should also produce the ini file cause without it you can't make it a kn5 again.

Last edited:
Alternative is to open up the car in Content Manager and inspect it bit by bit. Note down the material name, shader, parameters, etc.

You can just swap textures, by making a skin. Any texture file in a skin folder will replace the default that's inside the kn5. You need to know the texture name, and CM can help you with that again.

Ok, I'm going to try this. Thanks.

You can just swap textures, by making a skin. Any texture file in a skin folder will replace the default that's inside the kn5. You need to know the texture name, and CM can help you with that again.

Didn't know that, it's coming in handy. I just dropped my texture and it works perfectly.
1601384535361.png

I need to figure out how to do it in the editor but it's still nice for testing and messing around. Thanks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back