First Sim Rig Build - Questions

I’ve sank a crazy amount of hours into simcade games like Forza MS7 & Horizon 4/5 over the years and i’m now considering getting into sim racing but I’d like some advice before taking the plunge on a new rig.

At one stage I was about to drop a ton of money on a vr setup (think rtx 3090 and a pimax 8kx) but I figured it was the wrong time to buy top of the line gear with prices almost double rrp at the moment, so I’m looking for a compromise.

I’d like something with a decent level of immersion to have some fun with. Maybe a few hours a week, nothing too serious.

I was really impressed by the boosted media setup on YouTube, so much so I decided to run a little test - I ran my 4K oled tv in 1080p mode and to my surprise, from less than 1m away, I could barley see the difference between that and 4k. I was shocked tbh! This now has me thinking; do I save some money trying to push 3 x 1440p monitors and just go with 3 x 55” 1080p tv’s instead. They’re so cheap and would offer awesome immersion for the money, saving me a few hundred on a gpu too.

One question I have is this, would the detail that my oled tv manages to deliver via a 1080p input signal from my series x be the same as running something like a rtx 1080ti locked to 60fps on a native 1080p screen; assuming that’s even possible for a 1080ti pushing 5760 x 1080 pixels … or is my tv / Xbox doing some trickery with upscaling that a pc / lcd panel wouldn’t necessarily achieve?

FYI I would also need to buy the rig itself, pc, wheel and pedals. For this I’m considering something along the lines of Fanatec CSL DD and a used 8040 rig/seat.

PS: being happy with a large screen with low res, I guess the real decision comes down to screen size over hz or hz over immersion.

Is anybody on here running large TV triples @1080p? I’ve never physically seen a 144hz screen! … would I be missing something?

Last edited:
Modern TVs can do more than 60hz when they have a game mode.
One big thing to be aware of is input lag which can be quite substantial on LCD screens, especially affordable ones.
So do a lot of research before deciding

MFG Carsten

Jepp, OLEDs seem to be on top of things here.
(Except this affordable thing.)

Depending on the size you´ll have to look closely if monitors aren´t the better choice.

Not everybody here can make a living by posting "hyperrealistic Sim Racing" videos.

MFG Carsten

As Carsten said, the input lag is the reason almost noone uses TV's. Look at several youtubers, some have massive TV's for great FOV and content, but when they're driving you can see noticable input lag which is why I'd ALWAYS recommend proper monitors with 1ms response time and at least 144hz (to further reduce it). Input lag in simracing is a total killer, when you turn the wheel, the wheel in game should react instantaneous.

And another thought I just had:

I have 1080p´s 27´ monitors 70cm from my eyes which is great for racing/ spacial awareness and "hitting the line".

I can´t see any space between the pixels (screen door effect), but:

fences around the track look really bad even though using lots of AA and foliage and details in the distance are shimmering because of pixel crawl.
I didn´d see that right away when the setup was new 1,5 years ago, but if I would do it again I´d go 1440p at least. ( yeah, that would suck pricewise, we´re talking RTX3080 and up :mad:)

If you go TV at least my Samsung Q70A does upscale quite nicely, I will not buy an UHD player any time soon.

No idea about reaction times and input lag, I don´t game on TV.

Problem: MSRP ist1299€, so triple setup equals 3x 1440p monitors AND a 3080 build together.

When you go OLED you solve the input lag and reaction time problem, but the price would be painfull for most of us as you should go 120hz.

Here´s some advice what to look out for, especially regarding to GPU outputs.

MFG Carsten

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back